Dachshund

Troy

Mine seem a bit intimidated by larger dogs, but they have ony really played with little dogs their size.

My OH used to have a german shephard cross and they loved her before she went to rainbow bridge, but mine are very loud when they see other dogs.

:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm concerned about their spine. We don't have stairs but are on acerage and it is quite uneven and hilly in areas. Do you think they are prone to run and not look and hurt themselves?

I have heard that they can be aloof with strangers? We have three kids under 6 who like to have friends over. I never leave the kids unattended with our current dogs but will they be overly snappy and yappy with strange kids?

I'm concerned about their spine. We don't have stairs but are on acerage and it is quite uneven and hilly in areas. Do you think they are prone to run and not look and hurt themselves?

I have heard that they can be aloof with strangers? We have three kids under 6 who like to have friends over. I never leave the kids unattended with our current dogs but will they be overly snappy and yappy with strange kids?

I have read that Dachies who are very fit and active tend to have less back problems than their couchpotato counterparts. There is nothing that dachies love more than exploring, you just have to be wary of how good their recall is. Our b&t standard smoothie is actually quite good but there are limits to how far I will trust this. Never anywhere near a road.

Our b&t standard smoothie is very aloof with strangers, as long as they don't pay her any attention she is fine but as soon as they talk to her or bend down to pat her she tends to start barking at them. I am led to believe that the long haired variety are nowhere near as standoffish as the standard smooths though. Noone can walk down our driveway at night (including my husband getting home late) without the whole household knowing about it - this is something I see as a good thing though as my oh is away for work a fair bit and would rather know is someone is lurking around the house. She never barks when somebody is just walking past on the street though.

I love dachies, they are such great little dogs which make up for some of their less desirable characteristics in so many ways. Ours really is a (and I can only really speak for the standard smooths) one family dog but within the family they also seem to pick out a favourite. This loyalty only wavers when there is food available, then they are anybodies! :o

I dont have stairs< but i find my dogs do jump on the lounges, in the car.. none of my dog have ever had back probs.. Alot is owners fault.. Keep your dog a good weight and u wont have aprob... They dont need extra weight on there joints..

Socialization is a must especially with kids from a young age.

I find my smooth daccie is more friendly to strangers than my long haired daccie, but Meg (LH) is a bit wary of strangers then loves them onces she knows who they are. Every dog is different I guess

I dont have stairs< but i find my dogs do jump on the lounges, in the car.. none of my dog have ever had back probs.. Alot is owners fault.. Keep your dog a good weight and u wont have aprob... They dont need extra weight on there joints..

i dont think this is always true. i currently have 3 dachsies, and the two most trim, fit ones who have had the bets care have also been the ones that have had spinal issues. The vet says its often hereditary. my little girl is trim and has had three ruptured disks, all requiring extensive surgery, all occurred between the ages of 4 and 6 (shes 11 now). my male required surgery for the first time about 2 years ago. hes 10 and has always been slim and muscular. the other male (a rescue, who came to me in emaciated condition and abused) is about 7, plump but active, and has not had any problems with his back - touch wood. Hes the only one who jumps on couches or beds too - even though i discourage it.

We don't have stairs but we do have a hilly farm and our dachsy wanders around no dramas. She is also known as queen of the doona for a very good reason, she puts herself to bed. Her back is fine and she will be 20 next month.

Hiya

I noticed someone asked about the price of a Wire Haired variety - thought I would jump in

The wires can be difficult to come across as there are only a small number of breeders in Australia - the price goes up and down according to demand - but for a pure bred dog and most are bred from Australian champion Dams and Sires - I think the prices are really reasonable.

when I was researching buying a dog I was shocked to see that a lot of puppies were over $1000.00 - I would be very surprised if you had to pay over $700 for a Wire Haired Dacshund pup.

If you are keen I advise you to contact the Dacshund club of NSW and look in the breeders directory here on DOL and do lots of research first.

My dad breeds wires and I know we have no plans for any litters in 2010 and I know a number of other Wire breeders and I don't think they have a large number of litters planned for next year either.

They are worth the wait though as they have Soooo much personality - they really do have a strong desire to be with you 24-7 and love to be a part of the family in the house - sleep on your bed - travelling in the car - so you will have a constant companion.

They are very clever do and don't miss a beat - they march to the beat of of their own drum but with time and patience your wire haired dacshund will be a lifelong companion.

I grew up with many over the years and I always had a furry best friend.

I had one that used to love going for long distance jogs with me when I was training for the 1.5KM race and another that would ride a boogie board in the surf catching waves

Don't be fooled by the short legs - they will do what it takes to ensure that they can be with you at all times! (they will become your shadow) and bring you so much joy and love

pumba.jpg

Puppies.jpg

Edited by SUGEE76

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently went to Japan and the Dachshund was very popular over there. The most popular colour was a blue merle. I'm guessing that this is not a colour found here? The puppies in the pet shops over there are so so tiny, they must continually breed the runts with runts, very sad. That was where I saw a majority of these blue merle Dachshunds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there.

Need advise: I've got a Rabbit Smooth-haired Dachshund dog. It is very rare breed, I've brought her from overseas. Now I want to find a "boyfriend" for her to get puppies but there is a problem - she is very small (according to a breed - up to 3-3,5 kg for a bitch)only 3 kg.

So if somebody knows breeder with a small Dachshund dog and let me know I'd be highly appreciated.

Thnx.