Puppy Eating Cat Poo

Chooken

How do I stop my 5 month old puppy from eating cat poo? :thumbsup:

She eats the poo out of the garden and she eats it out of the cat litter tray that I had hidden and thought she couldn't get to.

Does this mean she's deficient in something and trying to make up for it or is it just a bad habit?

I try to pick them up before she gets to them but sometimes its impossible. Is there anything I can put on the poo (like chilli??) to deter her for good?

All dogs love cat poop its like us eating choccy or ice cream its a real treat for them. Put the litter tray up high where she carnt get to it and if you see your cat having a poop in the yard pick it up coz youll never stop her eating it I reckon its addictive :thumbsup:

My dogs would love access to kitty snacks :)

We just have a hook on the top of the door that hokks into a loop on the wall. this way the litter trays are in one room (laundry) and the cats have about 3 inches of open door to get to the loo. What sort of pup? as until it is full grown it may be able to get through.

Mine dont go outside so no outside snacks!! Good luck, you will never be able to HIDE the goodies, pup will sniff it out. :thumbsup:

Some litter trays have roofs and swing doors, if your cat will use one of those it helps. Otherwise you are stuck with putting the tray in a place the dog finds hard to access and cleaning the tray extremely regularly.

As paganman said, they seem to be irresistable to most dogs! :thumbsup:

Edited by Diva

Some litter trays have roofs and swing doors, if your cat will use one of those it helps. Otherwise you are stuck with putting the tray in a place the dog finds hard to access and cleaning the tray extremely regularly.

As paganman said, they seem to be irresistable to most dogs! :rofl:

Yip its the ultimate doggy snack! They love it... followed a close second by horse poo...

Ok, my girl is slowly growing out of this, but my god its a horrendous habit, I'll take horse poo any day. She's tried that too, but decided its too boring.

The worst, the absolute worst is when you take your pup in the car to the park, after not giving her breaky (cause she gets car sick) and then you discover that she has eaten cat poo while in the back yard for her morning constitutional. How do you discover this? You discover it by the cat poo vomit that she ejects into the foot well of your Alfa Romeo. :laugh:

I have NEVER smelled anything so putrid in all my life. I have a very strong stomach and I was dry retching when trying to clean it up. As you can imagine the five minute trip home was done with all the windows in the car far far down. It took many days and many shampoos of the car interior to get rid of the smell. Oh jeez, I feel sick just remembering the experience.

Luckily she doesn't throw up now either.

Good luck!

I was totally grossed out when my puppy did that recently and her breath smelled vile! I spend time picking up cat poo now so she can't eat it. I actually found this forum by googling "puppy eating cat poo" so it was actually a blessing in disguise!

. I actually found this forum by googling "puppy eating cat poo" so it was actually a blessing in disguise!

:confused::laugh:

Mine also love it, cats dont get access to the outside, so no worries about poo there, i have litter in laundry, with a cat flap, door shut all the time, dogs cant get in there!