Dlg Nsw

GeckoTree

Do you think it is a good thing to be able to view all dog attacks by breed in NSW on the website?

I would think it would be an easy way for people to point fingers at breeds to justify future Breed specific legislation in that state.

Or could it be used to highlight that the 'restricted breed' is barly mentionable in the dog attacks that are reported by council?

Every councls is required to log every attack by breed for the dog attack register, with reports released every 1/4 year that can be viewed on the site.

I would expect to see a steady rise in these numbers over the next 12 months. I don't personally think that incidents are increasing at any alarming rate but rather that many councils ( our own included ) have not fullfilled the reqirements of mandatory reporting. Having been audited , they are now doing so.

I also think that the breed stats could be way off base, even with Dogs NSW running the courses to assist those involved in reporting to ID breeds. After a talk with our ranger recently, breed ID of any animals reported by our council would be less than accurate.

• 3 weeks later...