Hot Spots

Jamaica

My OH's dog Bear(rotty x GSD) has a fair sized hot spot just below his hip. It has only just appeared but the soonest we can get him to the vet is on Wednesday. Would it be suitable to rinse it with malaseb? We already have some of that at home. We also have some Ilium Fungafite antifungal cream left over from one of the cats, could that be used on him?

We were thinking we could rinse the spot with a dilute malaseb solution and then put the cream on. Would that work for a hot spot till we can get him to the vet or if it started to clear up with that would we even need to take him to the vet?

Any help would be much appreciated. :laugh::rofl:

Malaseb is perfect for hot spots

Wet the area, rub the Malaseb in and leave for ten minutes. It's very important that it stays on for this period of time as it doesn't start acting until 7 minutes or so. Rinse the area well, then dry thoroughly. With any luck it will be clearing by Wednesday and you won't need the vet :laugh:

Now before any of you jump down my throat - this is an old fashioned cure that I have used many times, works well for most cases and certainly won't cause any your dog any problems or discomfort.

Any hot spots, including heat rash between the toes, just dab with mentholated spirits. No don't worry it wont hurt them, even if there is a slight break in the skin it would only be a very slight sting. No different than when your skin touches it.

Mentholated spirits is a drying agent, what it does is dry out the affected area and reduces the dogs need to itch and rub.

Cheap easy and repeat morn and night you will probably find within 48 hours a vast improvement.

sometimes the old wives tales are a good thing. After all the concept of using fish oil or codliver oil came from the same source and now it is being packaged and sold at the vets.

Curash or zinc powder...you don't even need to clip away the fur :laugh: just fluff it on the spot and into the coat around the spot a couple for days in a row and it will be gone :rofl:

wipe first with an antibacterial Wetone (the one with the red top) then add the curash - works wonders!

Malaseb is perfect for hot spots

Wet the area, rub the Malaseb in and leave for ten minutes. It's very important that it stays on for this period of time as it doesn't start acting until 7 minutes or so. Rinse the area well, then dry thoroughly. With any luck it will be clearing by Wednesday and you won't need the vet ;)

I do virtually the same thing with Pyohex and Benson doesn't seem to care that I am treating a hot spot anymore, where as when I used Betadine he use to flintch like it was stinging like crazy.

My American Cocker bitch (Vanni), popped a hot spot recently, two days before a show. Unsightly, messy, weeping damned thing it was.

Three days of Prep H and it was dry and healing. Now, only a couple of weeks later, you'd be hard pressed to see where it was.

• 4 weeks later...
Now before any of you jump down my throat - just dab with Methylated Spirits.

This is the best cure, and is what I do with my dogs ASAP when I notice a hot spot. I have one Aussie boy who they always seem to turn up on in the same area. As I do not have the option to shave his coat because I am showing him, and cannot leave it alone as the hair can fall out. Metho is the quick fix. After a day of putting it on 2/3 times, the hot spot is already starting to scab over. It hurts a little bit, but my boy now just stands there and lets me do it.

I use Listerine to dry out hotspots, applied a couple of time s a day. I have recently been put onto Anusol (Haemorrhoid cream from the supermarket), and as mentioned it is an anitbiotic and numbs the area so the dog isn't inclined to lick it, and if the dog is so inclined then apparently it tastes aweful (my dog aggrees with this) so they leave it alone to heal.

I was showing my boy over the weekend (when Anusol was mentioned to me), bought some Anusol on Monday, by Tuesday the hotspot was dried out and he has not touched it since. Best $8.00 I have ever spent!

I use Listerine to dry out hotspots, applied a couple of time s a day. I have recently been put onto Anusol (Haemorrhoid cream from the supermarket), and as mentioned it is an anitbiotic and numbs the area so the dog isn't inclined to lick it, and if the dog is so inclined then apparently it tastes aweful (my dog aggrees with this) so they leave it alone to heal.

I was showing my boy over the weekend (when Anusol was mentioned to me), bought some Anusol on Monday, by Tuesday the hotspot was dried out and he has not touched it since. Best $8.00 I have ever spent!

:thumbsup: Yep.....can't recommend the haemorrhoid treatments highly enough!

And of course, the added benefit is that knowing you can put them safely on your own backside should reassure many people that they can be used on your precious furkids as well. :p

And of course, the added benefit is that knowing you can put them safely on your own backside should reassure many people that they can be used on your precious furkids as well. :(

Except, of course, that I don't lick my privates ... :(

I use malaseb, but I'm glad for the other ideas to keep on hand.

And of course, the added benefit is that knowing you can put them safely on your own backside should reassure many people that they can be used on your precious furkids as well. :laugh:

Except, of course, that I don't lick my privates ... :(

:) Believe me, they get one teensy lick of Prep-H, Anusol or anything like it and they won't do it again in a hurry! :(