When Do You Stop Vaccinating?

ricey

Yes but a titre test can pass this week but have a low score next month the results are never the same.

We own boarding kennels & all dogs must be vacccinted  we dont accept titre tests due to them being inconclusive plus liability factor.

It amazing how often you get people ringing who thought theyd never need to board but suddenly have too & there dogs arent vaccinated .

There are so many claims etc but we will never risk the health of our dogs after 22 plus we have never had any issues ,the ones who seem to are the people that vaccinate yearly  plus heartworm or use every conceivable chemical product out there.

Our first dog got parvo twice & without her vacc plus our quick actions she would have never survived

Go back and read Steve's post and her references

I dont vaccinate anything here past their first booster Here's an article to help you think about it.

All 27 veterinary schools in North America are in the process of

changing their protocols for vaccinating dogs and cats.

Here, in a nutshell, are the new guidelines under consideration: "Dogs

and

cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live virus

(MLV) vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces immunity,

which

is good for the life of the pet (i.e., canine distemper, parvo, feline

distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies

from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and

there is little or no effect. The titer is not 'boosted' nor are more memory cells induced.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm#titer

"Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary, they

subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and

immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. There is no scientific documentation

to

back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines. Puppies

receive antibodies through their mothers milk. This natural protection

can

last 8-14 weeks. Puppies and kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than

8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.

Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine.

Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart suppress rather than

stimulate the immune system. A series of vaccinations is given starting

at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age. Another

vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at 1 year 4

months) will provide lifetime immunity." srdogs.com

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/news.apr.may.3.html

The most recently accepted protocol that your vet should be following

can

be found at:

http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/SAVP2.HTM

This research above has been out for quite some time, it just takes an

awful long time to change peoples old ways of doing things.Vaccinations

can

cause myriad problems with your pets. Here are some additional articles to read:

http://www.geocities.com/~kremersark/CSAP.html

http://www.whale.to/m/pitcairn6.html

http://www.whale.to/m/pets.html

I have friends; I'll never need to board. I don't want to poison my dogs just so that I can put them into kennels. The jury is well and truly out on vaccinating; once, maybe twice, but no more than that.

Peter D

Also - as for the espense side of things the vaccination usually cost me $180 per dog per year. The titer test cost me $85 per dog + consult fee. I also chose to do a health check - which checks organ funstion - so that cost me another $70 per dog - but I didn't have to do that test as part of the titer test. So at my vet in Five Dock - the titer test was cheaper than the annual vaccination!

$180 per dog per year for vaccinations is terribly expensive.

As far as I know in NSW its the law for boarding kennels to see vaccination certificates before they take dogs in. Personally Id rather pay someone to come tomy house daily and feed and water my dogs ,they will even water your plants and rotate your lights being turned on if you want .

Here's what fasinates me. First distemper hasnt been seen in this state and most others for over 20 years. Second believe it or not my kids are more important to me than my dogs and Ive never been offered a titre test for kids . One vaccination their whole life for measles , rubella ,mumps meningococcil a couple their whole life for polio, diptheria etc and one every ten years or so for tetanus .

And here's what ticks me off.

Every person that walks through a vet office is treated like a bloody idiot , before you go sticking things in my dogs I should be told the truth about vaccinations and not just give a yearly shot for my money . Even if you give vets the benefit of the doubt and say they dont know these issues because they go by what the chemical companies tell them it should be their job to find out BEFORE they compromise my dogs health because they think that if us moronic dog owners arent told they need a vaccination every year we wont bring our dogs in for a yearly check up.

Ive got 8 kids , the youngest is 8 and he has NEVER been to the doctor for anything other than vaccinations I dont race him off every year for an annual check up why do I need to take a perfectly healthy dog every year. ? O.K. sure there are some idiots that own dogs but we all shouldnt be treated this way and our dogs immune systems bombed under this umbrella. Parvo is our only real potentaial threat if the dog is the one in 500 or so that has a low titre and there are killed vaccines for this that dont create the problems with the immune system but if you get one of these available off the net for $7.50 its not counted for a boarding kennel because the scam of the century is that a certificate has to be signed by a vet.

This may not have been a money making issue when it all first came about but there's no doubt in my mind that this is exactly what it is now. If the medical profession got all human parents to bring their kids in once a year for a needle the way vets do there would be hell to pay.

Why do people stress more about the health andnutrition of their pets than they do their kids? PROPOGANDA.

Well said, Steve. I've never in 50 years of having dogs had any vacs. past the 12 month booster. Way back then I had an old style country Vet. who must have been way ahead of his time as he didn't believe in all those yearly vacs. He said exactly the same thing as Steve, "don't do the kids every year and dogs are tougher than kids".

Why do people stress more about the health andnutrition of their pets than they do their kids? PROPOGANDA.

How true is that... :( I've been worrying more about what I'm going to feed our pup than about what we feed our daughter. The only thing is that we tend to naturally know what humans need to survive healthily with regards to food and much more research has been done with regards to human vaccines...

fIN

There's no more research just more published and the AMA wouldnt be able to get away with what the vets do. There is one protocol for humans based on immunology and there should be one protocol for animals but the veterinary mob arent regulated the way the medical profession is.

Dogs need what humans need - a varied diet , balanced for most nutrients over a period of about a week or a fortnight. All this crap about balanced diet in every meal etc is just a scam and an advertising success story Funny how they are all complete meals and they all have everything the dog needs but they are all different. As a mother you know you cant give the kids all they need every feed and that you need to give variety its no different for dogs. We used to know what was best for our dogs Meat off cuts, raw meaty bones and table scraps then we were bombarded with propoganda until we felt guilty and incapable of feeding it all it needed. What a joke. We worry and suffer if we're a few weeks late with our yearly visits to the vet to have our yearly spend up Come in spinner.

Pebbles I too came in contact with an older vet , just getting ready to retire about 28 years ago and he told me not to vaccinate past the first booster .

First distemper hasnt been seen in this state and most others for over 20 years.

The virus itself still exists in the environments - but in epidemiological terms, the percentage of the dog population that is vaccinated is high enough to prevent infection and spread amongst that population. It's very common to hear of ferrets dying from distemper - and it is important that they are vaccinated against it. There's also still some suggestion and heated discussion in the medical community about whether Paget's disease in humans may be related to canine distemper - if the relationship could be proved, then vaccination of dogs would become a human public health issue.

I don't trust titres tests at this point - from what I've read after their introduction in the US there has been some suggestion that while the "numbers" may be over a certain threshold, the levels don't neccessarily reflect the ability of the animal to respond adequately to an immunological challenge.

At this point I'd be happy enough to follow one of the US vaccination protocols, but I wouldn't go as far as never vaccinating again after 12 months.

Hi Guys

Its actually govt legislation under the Welfare of Animals act most states have one & they state as an example pretty much what this NSW one does :

"6 HEALTH CARE

6.1 Disease Prevention

6.1.1 For dogs, vaccination against distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and canine cough is required. A current vaccination certificate ( certifying that vaccination was done within the preceding 12 months) must be produced for each dog before admission. Checking for heartworm infection is recommended prior to admission.

6.1.2 For cats, vaccination against feline infectious enteritis and feline respiratory disease is required. A current vaccination certificate (certifying that vaccination was done within the preceding 12 months) must be produced for each cat before admission.

6.1.3 Animals known or suspected to be suffering from an infectious disease should not be admitted for boarding."

How quick they were to accept the BSL but they r a bit slow when it comes to general day to day pet care!

I asked my vet if we could change our vacc to 3yrly & he was happy to, only trouble is with a few big trips coming up & a few nights having to be in kennels we had to vacc.

Jacqui