Tracking

:D Hi Bully I met you and Pele today! Did you get to do a track? I had to leave at 1030.

ETA we currently have a Black Dog Tracking Harness and it is good but I have just ordered a leather one from overseas.

Edited by Kynan

:rofl: Hi Bully I met you and Pele today! Did you get to do a track? I had to leave at 1030.

ETA we currently have a Black Dog Tracking Harness and it is good but I have just ordered a leather one from overseas.

Hi Kynan,

We only got to do a very small one at the end. Pele soon twigged that there were treats under the socks :o She's such a piggy :)

The Black dog are more expensive, but they look more comfortable and nicer :laugh:

I'm thinking of doing tracking with Pele next year now that she's got her CD title. A friend in the USA who has just got a TD title on her 18 month old Bull Terrier has recommended "Enthusiastic Tracking" by William (Sil) Sanders. It arrived the other day from Dogwise. I haven't had time to look at it yet :(

I've added the Johnson book to my "Wishlist" on Fishpond :)

And there's a super little book (booklet, actually) called "Following Ghosts - Developing the Tracking Relationship" by Suzanne Clothier from the USA. She has her own website, but you can get it from Dogwise in the US:

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dgt200

or Amazon.com

I'm thinking of doing tracking with Pele next year now that she's got her CD title. A friend in the USA who has just got a TD title on her 18 month old Bull Terrier has recommended "Enthusiastic Tracking" by William (Sil) Sanders. It arrived the other day from Dogwise. I haven't had time to look at it yet :(

I've added the Johnson book to my "Wishlist" on Fishpond :(

And there's a super little book (booklet, actually) called "Following Ghosts - Developing the Tracking Relationship" by Suzanne Clothier from the USA. She has her own website, but you can get it from Dogwise in the US:

or Amazon.com

Oh, what does it cover & what method does she recommend? Could you do us a quick summary/review?

I just invested in a copy of "Tracking dog, theory and methods" by Glen Johnson from Amazon - probably not what my student loan was intended for, but it was just too tempting... :shrug:

I'm thinking of doing tracking with Pele next year now that she's got her CD title. A friend in the USA who has just got a TD title on her 18 month old Bull Terrier has recommended "Enthusiastic Tracking" by William (Sil) Sanders. It arrived the other day from Dogwise. I haven't had time to look at it yet :)

I've added the Johnson book to my "Wishlist" on Fishpond :mad

or Amazon.com

Oh, what does it cover & what method does she recommend? Could you do us a quick summary/review?

I just invested in a copy of "Tracking dog, theory and methods" by Glen Johnson from Amazon - probably not what my student loan was intended for, but it was just too tempting... :laugh:

Hi, here's the link to it on Clothier's website - it's explained there....actually, I lent my copy to someone and I can't think who at the moment, so can't dip into it for you, sorry!

http://flyingdogpress.com/Merchant2/mercha...egory_Code=BKLT

And while you're there, she has some other great stuff too.....

Edited by toshman

Hi, here's the link to it on Clothier's website - it's explained there....actually, I lent my copy to someone and I can't think who at the moment, so can't dip into it for you, sorry!

Ha ha, fair enough then. I'm pretty familiar with Susan C's website, and like it, was just hoping for some inside info on what I could expect if I bought the book.

Happy training!

• 5 months later...

It's taking me a while to sort the "method" from the "anecdotes" in the Glen Johnson book but I'm a fan of the fact that there is a published method that is based on tested theory and experience. I am actually getting serious about starting the regime and would love some comments from people who have tried it - like how you fitted it into your life and did you do the 9 daily tracks all together or did you split them up?

It's taking me a while to sort the "method" from the "anecdotes" in the Glen Johnson book but I'm a fan of the fact that there is a published method that is based on tested theory and experience. I am actually getting serious about starting the regime and would love some comments from people who have tried it - like how you fitted it into your life and did you do the 9 daily tracks all together or did you split them up?

I have not done the Glen Johnson method myself, but have read the book & got a lot out of it. It's a classic. I think it possibly depends what style of tracking you're interested in doing, as well, as to whether his method would be suitable.

I didn't think there were 9 daily tracks though, I thought there were 3? Maybe a I read it wrong.

Will be interested to hear how you get on using it, please keep us updated.

The first two weeks of the Johnson Method consist of 3 (graduating) tracks that are completed and then repeated twice. I have just started and I am finding it a challenge to organise the time/space/wind/daylight etc but it's worth it - I think.

The first two weeks of the Johnson Method consist of 3 (graduating) tracks that are completed and then repeated twice. I have just started and I am finding it a challenge to organise the time/space/wind/daylight etc but it's worth it - I think.

Oh wow, that is a lot of tracking. I feel virtuous if I manage to do one track per day! :D Are you doing the food drop method or retrieve method in the book?

Just a bump! To see who's still training, what style & discipline you're training for, & how it's working out for you.

I'm loving tracking more & more the further I get into it! :thumbsup:

I was hoping to get into tracking this year, but decided to push on with Open obedience with Pele. Hopefully she'll get her title and then we can do tracking as I'm sure she'll be good at it and love it :)

• 2 weeks later...

People don't seem to post a lot in this thread and I think I know why! Trackers are just too busy combing the countryside in search of reasonably-willing tracklayers and places to track that don't have too many off-leash dogs, rabbit warrens, swooping magpies, protective plovers, snakes or joggers. They also spend way too much time testing wind direction and adjusting their planned tracks to suit. I know of one tragic individual who is even trying to design a pocket wind sock.

Thanks for recommending the Leerburg DVD, Staranais; I'm looking into it.

People don't seem to post a lot in this thread and I think I know why! Trackers are just too busy combing the countryside in search of reasonably-willing tracklayers and places to track that don't have too many off-leash dogs, rabbit warrens, swooping magpies, protective plovers, snakes or joggers. They also spend way too much time testing wind direction and adjusting their planned tracks to suit. I know of one tragic individual who is even trying to design a pocket wind sock.

That's very funny! I am budget, I just drop dog hair to determine wind direction. :coffee: