Tracking

That's sweet of you to say, but we're really just novices at this - advice from everyone is useful! :rofl: She's liking area search more than she's liking tracking at the moment, but I'm hoping we'll get there with the tracking at the end too!

• 1 month later...
A new tracking book has just been released and it is by an Australian trainer. It is called "How to achieve precision tracking with your dog" by Kris Kotsopoulos. I received my book yesterday and I am looking forward to reading it over the weekend. It is available from Precision Tracking Dogs.

Please review it when you've finished reading it! I'd be really interested to hear what you think about it.

A new tracking book has just been released and it is by an Australian trainer. It is called "How to achieve precision tracking with your dog" by Kris Kotsopoulos. I received my book yesterday and I am looking forward to reading it over the weekend. It is available from Precision Tracking Dogs.

Please review it when you've finished reading it! I'd be really interested to hear what you think about it.

I am very impressed with this book. It has 148 pages and is divided into three sections: 1) Introduction, 2) The System, 3) Proofing. The book is very easy to read and understand. I have read the first two sections and have started training my 3 year old GSD using the techniques. I will read the proofing section a bit later once our training is well under way. I started training my boy with food in foot steps last year and had some success. The techniques in Kris's book are new and different and he explains why and it all makes sense and is very logical. The early training utilises clicker training. Kynan and I have been training with Kris's technique for five days and I am starting to get excited as we are making very good progress. After having read seven other tracking books I would have to say that this one is one of the best and the training technique really suits Kynan and we are both enjoying it.

Awesome, thanks! Can I please ask a few questions about the purpose/content of the book?

1. Which style of tracking is this geared towards (is it focused more towards precise slow IPO footstep tracking, or towards the fast but less precise SAR/police tracking/trailing style).

2. What motivators are used - is the dog motivated by food drops along the trail, or is he working for a toy/bite at the end of the trail, or a mixture of these?

3. Do they cover hard surface tracking?

Oh sorry, and

4. Do they cover much about the handler's role in tracking (e.g. handling the tracking line, scent theory)?

Edited by Staranais

I just got this book too (Precision Tracking), it is a good book with lots of ideas. I will work on some of his ideas with my young dog who tends towards air-scenting. It is somewhat ruined for me by the last section on "proofing". He does say at the start of the section that people told him it would reduce the "palatability" of the book, it certainly did that for me, so maybe I will just remove that section. I would hate to loan it to people who thought I agreed with that sort of thing.

1. Which style of tracking is this geared towards (is it focused more towards precise slow IPO footstep tracking, or towards the fast but less precise SAR/police tracking/trailing style).

It is written for Schutzhund/IPO style tracking and could possibly be adapted for SAR style. Email Kris and see what he thinks.

2. What motivators are used - is the dog motivated by food drops along the trail, or is he working for a toy/bite at the end of the trail, or a mixture of these?

A clicker is used initially with food rewards but not food drops on the track. The emphasis is on human scent discrimination rather than sniffing for food on the track. A ball or tug can be used later in the training program once the dog has learnt the fundamentals.

Not specifically but the proofing phase involves tracking on all varieties of surfaces

4. Do they cover much about the handler's role in tracking (e.g. handling the tracking line, scent theory)?

Briefly covers scent theory and learning theory but nothing about handling the line.

The proofing phase involves the use of a remote collar.

Edited by Kynan

It is written for Schutzhund/IPO style tracking and could possibly be adapted for SAR style. Email Kris and see what he thinks.

A clicker is used initially with food rewards but not food drops on the track. The emphasis is on human scent discrimination rather than sniffing for food on the track. A ball or tug can be used later in the taining program once the dog has learnt the fundamentals.

Not specifically but the proofing phase involves tracking on all varieties of surfaces

Briefly covers scent theory and learning theory but nothing about handling the line.

The proofing phase involves the use of a remote collar.

Thanks Kynan! Sounds fascinating, but not what I need to prioritise right now - so that's really helpful, thanks. :laugh:

Thanks Kynan! Sounds fascinating, but not what I need to prioritise right now - so that's really helpful, thanks. :champagne:

You're welcome Staranais! Have you read "Police K9 Tracking" by Tracy Bowling?

No I haven't! I've heard great things about it on another forum, but it's a little bit $$$ for me at the moment. Have you read it? Would you recommend it?

Have you read "Police K9 Tracking" by Tracy Bowling?

No I haven't! I've heard great things about it on another forum, but it's a little bit $$$ for me at the moment. Have you read it? Would you recommend it?

I bought it about a month ago but haven't had time to read it yet. I have had a quick look through and it has a lot about scent theory, equipment, reading the dog, and includes hard surface tracking. Will let you know what I think once I've read it which will be soon. :D

Have you read "Police K9 Tracking" by Tracy Bowling?

I bought it about a month ago but haven't had time to read it yet. I have had a quick look through and it has a lot about scent theory, equipment, reading the dog, and includes hard surface tracking. Will let you know what I think once I've read it which will be soon. :D

Awesome, thanks! Look forward to it. :)

• 1 month later...

We are making steady progress with our tracking. We are taking it quite slow to make sure we get the fundamentals of scent discrimination and article indication perfected. Was having some trouble with Kynan shutting down and i think i have now solved the problem. He must have been finding his fancy leather harness uncomfortable as i switched him back to the old cotton one and he has found his drive again :)

You'll have another visitor on here soon, OH just got himself a working Mal pup :) good nose on her she's started tracking and after one lesson now keeps her nose firmly planted to the ground all the time :) we created a monster. I want to start scent detection with her too but we'll work on one at a time

Hey Kasey what did Kris write about proofing? I'm curous now :)

for those that dont know Kris Kotsopolous is the owner of Von Forrell kennels in Melbourne

Edited by Nekhbet

That's exciting about the puppy! She sounds like a natural. Tell your OH to hurry up and join the thread as i'm desperate to talk tracking as none of my friends or family understand it :)

she better bloody be a natural :) considering her lines

OH is a n00b but learning all about training so feel free to pick on him :) I'm working my Mal bitch with the little one too, she's had a big break but hopped right back into it the other day. I'll have to take some photos of us practicing tonight ;) Will have to get some more books too while I'm at it

here's a photo of the little terror

DSC_0083.jpg

butter wouldnt melt in her chompy sharp little mouth would it :)

Awww look at her! Love those ears!

I am a newby too with tracking and finding it challanging trying to teach my three year old GSD boy. Wish i had known about tracking when he was a puppy. We are having fun :) My OH thinks I'm crazy as I chase him around the house with the tongs trying to steal his socks and jocks to use as scented articles.

Awww look at her! Love those ears!

I am a newby too with tracking and finding it challanging trying to teach my three year old GSD boy. Wish i had known about tracking when he was a puppy. We are having fun :laugh: My OH thinks I'm crazy as I chase him around the house with the tongs trying to steal his socks and jocks to use as scented articles.

:):)

Hi Bully :laugh:

Are you and Pele tracking this year?

Was hoping to get Pele's CDX title this year, but after last weekend's dismal effort I'm thinking that maybe we should start tracking. Apparently there's a Thursday morning tracking session in the northern suburbs that I may be able to attend.