Tracking

Tamika and Jessie have now attended their final trial for the season and I am very happy to say that they have now passed Test Two with a very good score....Jessie also got best performance dog of the day under her judge because when Tamika wanted Jessie to go another way she howled and pulled Tamika the way she wanted to go she also took a turn to the right and completed the turn then spun around and went left and went to the toilet, spun around on the spot and flew back to the track and off she went.....I am just sooo over the moon and this team have improved so much between the two trials and Jessie tracks so good I told Tamika I will swap dogs...lol....thanks to everyone at BDOC for being so great in their training and teaching us all about tracking although there is so much more to learn but everyone there has been so good to us and been so patient with us....am looking forward to Monday when I go out with Dezzy and see how he goes but dont expect much and am wrapped at the stage we are up to at the end of the season :thumbsup:

Congratulations and good luck for today.

Also to all the Knox people with 3 of 3 passes :)

I have some great news.....Dezzy and myself passed Test Two with a very good score and Dezzy also got Best Performing Dog Of The Day under our judge......what a great way to end the season.....we have had fantastic support from our club and are really grateful to them....now we cannot wait until next season starts :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Bwahahahahah :rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

Brilliant - Tiggy - you needed to post that before the TSD trial we had on Saturday - Kirra got her lead tangled round a small dead bush - we ended up pulling the bush out of the ground, cos I didn't want to stop her (we'd already failed by then, but when put back on, she was tracking beautifully - of course :D

• 5 weeks later...

Just a few more newbie quetions

Is is acceptable to enter more than one dog in a tracking trial or is it frowned apon considering there may only be limited spots ?

Also at what age do they allow juniors to handler their dog tracking, for showing in Vic it's seven years old but l can't find anything for tracking ?

Just a few more newbie quetions

Is is acceptable to enter more than one dog in a tracking trial or is it frowned apon considering there may only be limited spots ?

Also at what age do they allow juniors to handler their dog tracking, for showing in Vic it's seven years old but l can't find anything for tracking ?

Ballotting is not needed in Victoria much these days, can only think of one trial which regularly does it, many handlers enter more than one dog, including me. Most trials have enough land to cope, it is the available land which usually decides haw many tracks a day they can offer and most of our trials go three days. Sometimes it helps logistics if you are available more than one day, depends which tracks you are doing too I'm always amazed at the organisation with a tracking trial, they just go so smoothly, like a military exercise :-)

The seven year minimum age applies to all disciplines in Victoria, a requirement of the insurance cover

Have you joined the Tracking Club of Victoria? Financial year starts January 1st and members get a reduced entry fee at TCV trials Check TCV website out

• 2 weeks later...
:thumbsup: Lola - there is a group that train on Tue at Blackwood. I went there this year about half way through the season with my guys and managed to put my old girl in the last trial for the year and come away with her track 1. Hope to do some more next year but don't think I'll be able to get to the group so will have to train on my own.

• 2 weeks later...

I may not be any help Tiggy but I guess the trainers can give you lessons to do at home :noidea:

I wont be able to go every week either (stupid job)

I got a lovely harness from k9 Pro this week I hope it's ok for tracking, It seems pretty good.

We have been using it for learning the basics from books (looking for sausage in a straight line track) :laugh:

I figure we can at least get the idea of what we're supposed to be doing by easter when lessons start. :idea:

I have ordered Glen Johnsons book but still waiting for it to arrive.

Tiggy, if you can get someone to help get you started, you can do fine training on your own. Rory's Test 1 this year was almost the first time he'd tracked anyone other than me - and then it was only a very hot 50 metre track at the very early stages of his training. In fact, when he found the tacklayer on his Test 1, he got quite a fright when the 'body' in the groundsheet spoke to him - huge big boy barks "Did you guys know there's a person here!!!!!!" :rofl: Luckily the tracklayer knew his name, and had his treat ready.

Kirra got her Tracking Champion last year, and passed a TSD1 this year - mostly on training on my tracks.

The important thing is getting them to know what the game is - follow the scent on that sock, and good things will happen for dogs :D . Like other training - small steps - splitting not lumping - and starting on a short lead so that they can't go too wrong. What we do is stop if they start to veer off the track - then go on when they're back on the track. Frequent rewards early on - and get them to love their articles.