Tracking

I'm loving tracking at the moment simply because it's so good at tiring the dog out. One simple 500m track transforms a bouncing-off-the-walls malinois into a malinois you can actually live with, at least for a couple of hours. :D

Hope your test went well, Rubyblue!

What kind of tracking harness does everyone use? We have gone back to using our old Black Dog tracking harness which Kynan seems to find more comfortable than his fancy new leather one.

Hey we passed.

Got graded good. handler errors cost us two downgrades....lol

We did a 3 sided rectangle so my tracklayer was just to the right of our startpost - I recon Milly knew straight away (though at the time I though she was after sheep or roos or something). First downgrade was in not calling her back to the track quick enough and second was in missing her indication of the second corner. I was trying not to break my neck going down the enbankment - what lame excuse huh.

The final verdict from the judge was the dog was good and the handler was a burden, though he didnt say it in so many words and was very kind about it lol - oh well as long as Im better next time then at least Im moving in the right direction.

It was good to see you up there Kirsten - though I was looking forward to meeting Oscar too - maybe another time.

Is anyone going to the Hastings trial or the GSD one?

Hey we passed.

We did a 3 sided rectangle so my tracklayer was just to the right of our startpost - I recon Milly knew straight away (though at the time I though she was after sheep or roos or something). First downgrade was in not calling her back to the track quick enough and second was in missing her indication of the second corner. I was trying not to break my neck going down the enbankment - what lame excuse huh.

The final verdict from the judge was the dog was good and the handler was a burden, though he didnt say it in so many words and was very kind about it lol - oh well as long as Im better next time then at least Im moving in the right direction.

It was good to see you up there Kirsten - though I was looking forward to meeting Oscar too - maybe another time.

Congratulations!! :cheer:

Hey we passed.

Wootage! :D :thumbsup:

Hi RubyBlue

It was good to meet you too. So excited for you that you passed! I've been a tracklayer down that embankment, so I know what it's like! and don't feel bad as one of the judges at a trial last year broke her leg falling down the very same embankment I think.

I hope to be at the GSD trial - well that's what I'm working towards. John will kill me if I scratch my dog again, so if we're on the same day, you'll meet Oscar.

Did many of you start with using the Tracking Dog Theory and Methods program?

I'm just up to reading the beginning of the program (keep picking up other books in between :o ).

I didn't, it's quite a bit different to how I started my dog. Still a good read, though, and I'm sure the method works to start a dog tracking.

The more into tracking you get, though, the more it becomes about training the handler rather than training the dog. :)

ETA, congratulations RubyBlue!

Edited by Staranais

Attended my first ever tracking trial yesterday :thumbsup:

I stewarded for three tracks (1, 6, TSD2), did a cross track for a TSD2, and laid a track for a TSD1. Was a great day and I learnt lots.

Ive entered in the Hastings trial and plan to enter in the GSD one too - I will hopefully see you there, though I can only be there on Saturdays .... work is interfering again.

Out of interest - on the entry form for the GSD trial should I put test 2 or test 3? I will have done the Hastings trial by then so do I assume we'll pass or do I put test 2 'cause that is where we are up to when I put the entry in?

Does anyone want to practice around Melbournes north east during the week? Its easier to be motivated to get up on cold morning if there are other people to practice with.

Ive entered in the Hastings trial and plan to enter in the GSD one too - I will hopefully see you there, though I can only be there on Saturdays .... work is interfering again.

Out of interest - on the entry form for the GSD trial should I put test 2 or test 3? I will have done the Hastings trial by then so do I assume we'll pass or do I put test 2 'cause that is where we are up to when I put the entry in?

Does anyone want to practice around Melbournes north east during the week? Its easier to be motivated to get up on cold morning if there are other people to practice with.

Hi

Put Test 2 for both trials. If/When you get a pass at Hastings, ring the Secretary of the GSD club straight away and ask that your test be upgraded from a Test 2 to a Test 3. Both tests are 800m, so it's not difficult for the club to accomodate the change - it's just important to notify the Secretary as soon as you can.

Might see you in a few weeks then! Good luck at Hastings :-)

Hi

Put Test 2 for both trials. If/When you get a pass at Hastings, ring the Secretary of the GSD club straight away and ask that your test be upgraded from a Test 2 to a Test 3. Both tests are 800m, so it's not difficult for the club to accomodate the change - it's just important to notify the Secretary as soon as you can.

Might see you in a few weeks then! Good luck at Hastings :-)

Cheers

Little brag for my agility girl Kirra today - she struggled a bit, but got through her Track & Search Test 1 with a good. Strangely, she tracked better on the hard surfaces - gravel paths - than in the longer grass. We'd been working harder on that I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys,

How do you actually get into tracking?

Are there any training clubs in Sydney that offer this sort of training?

Or do you have train yourself? In which case- are there any books/DVDs, Websites etc you would recommend?

Little brag for my agility girl Kirra today - she struggled a bit, but got through her Track & Search Test 1 with a good. Strangely, she tracked better on the hard surfaces - gravel paths - than in the longer grass. We'd been working harder on that I guess.

Yay :cheer: