Tracking

Pirate the Pointer passed track one Last Saturday at Cressy. The tracklayer laid 2 tracks for me and wanted a fruit so got her a banana for each track she was very wealthy. :thumbsup:

Congrat's Pirate. How old is your Pointer? I've just started to train my young pointer puppy, he is 4 1/2 months old and seems to be taking to tracking much faster than my Great Dane did LOL. Finding the time to run some short tracks with him is my problem atm.

I love the idea of a scratchie!!

RubyBlue you are very generous :laugh: See you end of July hopefully :thumbsup:

Anyone train with the Knox Obed group? :)

Yep. We train Saturday mornings. Ask to speak to Trevor May.

I'm not actually a member, but wondering if you take 'outsiders' as you are my closest group. :o

Happy to become a member for insurance reasons, of course.

Anyone train with the Knox Obed group? :)

Yep. We train Saturday mornings. Ask to speak to Trevor May.

I'm not actually a member, but wondering if you take 'outsiders' as you are my closest group. :o

Happy to become a member for insurance reasons, of course.

I think you will have to become a member - its very cheap to join (not much more than a tracking trial entry lol).

Will pm you Trevors details - tracking at knox is his baby so hes the best one to talk to.

I think you will have to become a member - its very cheap to join (not much more than a tracking trial entry lol).

Will pm you Trevors details - tracking at knox is his baby so hes the best one to talk to.

Thanks so much, I would really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Did you get my message??? - first time Ive tried to send a private message so am not sure if it worked or not.

Did you get my message??? - first time Ive tried to send a private message so am not sure if it worked or not.

Nah...nothing there, I will send you one perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys we are looking at getting into tracking with our pup and was wondering if anyone was in Adelaide? There is a tracking club but they don't meet that regularly, seems only for trials?. We were hoping to find a group that can help train and lay tracks a bit more regularly.

Also a question about laying tracks.. does it need to be an area without too many distracting smells, or can it be a public place. would we need to get out of the metro area?

There are a few tracking groups around Adelaide - contact details are all provided on the website. I know there is a group that meets out the Northern suburbs on a Thursday and there is also a group that trains up at Blackwood each Tuesday. I train mine on a Tuesday up at Blackwood. They are through the Tracking Club of SA. People also meet up informally to train.

Edited by ness

Hi Kobi's Daisy :wave: We are in Adelaide too. We have just started learning tracking this year. The SA Tracking Dog Club have training on Saturday mornings somewhere in the northern suburbs and at Blackwood in the southern suburbs during the week (Thursday mornings I think but don't quote me on that). Email the club and they can let you know details of where they meet for training and can also put you in contact with a tracking trainer near your area that you can organise to meet with.

Website

Email

eta ignore me about which days, Ness is probably right

Edited by Kynan

:rofl: Kynan - must have been posting at the same time. We have also met up with some of the people to train on a Saturday up at Monarto where the trials are held. Edited by ness

:laugh: well if my dog wasn't lame I'd have been out running agility at the States :rofl:. I chickened out of entering the next tracking trial not convinced either of mine are ready yet even though the instructor says they are. Might enter the last one for the year if I can find a tracklayer. I had 3 offers for the next trial but just not confident yet and didn't want to waste people's time given the effort that they have to go to to set a track for a trial.

Ness is running out of time :rofl:. I would have entered her if she hadn't decided on both tracks I ran last week to go around in circles and get me stuck in the trees.

Edited by ness

How do you all motivate your dogs for tracking, typically? Are you toy people, or food people?

I started my girl on food on the scentpad/track with a toy at the end, then tried just a toy at the end, but have recently removed the toy and just put food drops again along the track (or articles which she knows she can "swap" for food). I think she's much calmer and much more precise after doing this. She focuses more on the track and less on the destination! :laugh:

Interested in what others are doing.

Edited by Staranais

Hmmm we give the tracklayer food, dog gets a few bits from tracklayer before they disappear then send dog after the tracklayer :laugh:.

As you know my youngster is more toy motivated but she won't take a toy reward off a stranger so therefore the tracklayer has treats to feed her when they get there.

Sometimes we just have a t-shirt at the end of the track so I'll carry a jackpot container and feed it to the dog when we reach the final t-shirt.

When I first started (years ago) it was in the days before food training in general, and food wasn't allowed as a reward (even if in a sealed container :( ). Now we are allowed food rewards - mine have one of those little sealed trays of cat food - easy for the tracklayer to carry - or I just put it in a sock at the end if I've laid the track myself (which I do in training).

I usually tuck small food treats inside the cuffs of the socks - it seems to encourage mine to pay more attention to the socks (in their effort to get the food out LOL - Rory has even taught himself to drop at the sock - although this hasn't necessarily translated to a drop in the real thing - well, didn't in the one test he's done ;) .