Chihuahua

Troy

I have 2 longcoats and I don't find they shed much at all compared to other breeds I have owned (beagles, shar pei, my cat). Nor does their hair tend to stick to my clothes like the other's hair does.

• 2 months later...
yes i have found diet and also exercise can control it to a certain level tkay also others have given me input into this as well.

straight glucosamine helps as well as formulas with this ingredient added especially for dogs for joints and repair of cartilage. this is where the disease does point to being “polygenic” with a bit of "recessive" thrown in the mix.

Thanks I will have to look into getting him some glucosamine as he gets older :thumbsup:

I'd start now,also Fish Oil,don't wait until there is cartiledge damage/loss & bone,look into shark capsules also.You may find that some Glucosamine could have Chondrotin sulphate(shark cartiledge)I read where the Sulphate helps their body absorb the Glucosomine.I have spent days this week looking at what this all means & how it all works.Most good pet stores will sell the Glucosamine,Fish oil most likely supermarkets.I also found that AUS prices were much more expensive than my having them sent from USA.I found a very good site called Lucky Vit.com prices excellent plus very informative as to exactly what ingredients were in any-thing,and its use etc It would be great if there was a tab or capsule that had everything in one of all the above plus a product called Zeel and or Traumeel for osteoarthritis which our darlings can get from Patella & Hipdysplasia problems.I posted in the open discussion a few weeks ago about my 18 month old Chi Bindie who has H.D.

I hope this has been of help to you & perhaps others who may read this,I wish I'd known about all the above before my vet attempted H.D. operation.If some-one else is using the medications above I would like to hear that there is some good news for me to look forward to with Bindie.I also have my lot on the BARF diet & I am thrilled that they ALL love it.

having written an article on PL and getting data from various breeders around the country for several years now, i have not heard of a chi having HD it is not very common in our breed. is this a pure chi we are talking about? im sorry i have to ask this question for clarification.

i had an 11 month old chihuahua given the all clear on his PL grading but a bit loose, and then from 11 months to about 14 months he was graded again after being put on glucosomine and calcium liquid every day and exercised daily also, he went from half grading in one leg to zero again. I thought i was home and hosed so took him back at 18 months of age he developed grade 3 PL in one leg. was still on the glucosomine so it sort of slowed the process down and helped. talking to the MFCOA (mini foxie club of Australia) they have said that they notice the dogs that get heaps of exercise and allowed to build up muscele in the legs as opposed to the ones that get penned al lthe time, their legs seem more sounder, so exercise, diet does help these affected dogs in some way.

Edited by toy dog

How much do the short and long hair shed?

they shed mainly twice a year, for their summer and winter coats. i don't know about badboyz but we find that the little hairs do stick into the clothes and if they are blonde chis they tend to stand out too particularly on my office clothes and only notice it when i am in the office on my black skirts and black cardigans and tops. lol just like normal dogs really no difference there.

• 1 month later...

just a quick question, may friend has achihuahua, she wants to start her in puppy school, but is having truoble finding a collar for her.. does anyone have andy suggestions where they can find a colla that would fit?

just a quick question, may friend has achihuahua, she wants to start her in puppy school, but is having truoble finding a collar for her.. does anyone have andy suggestions where they can find a colla that would fit?

When I place pups in pet homes I suggest that they look at cat collars or harnesses. Cat collars are generally made of thinner material and are elasticised and a harness places no pressure on the windpipe at all.

Just take the bell off the cat collar and possibly put some extra holes in it!

thanks for the reply, however she has tried the cat collars as well as the harnesess

Then your next best alternative is to get a slip / show lead. This doesn't actually have a separate collar & leash, but if you go to some dog shows you will be able to pick one up and they slide down to fit any size neck!

ADD: - noticed that you are listed as in ACT - just go over to exhibition park next time there is a dog show on and there should be vendors there who will have a show lead! http://www.actca.asn.au/Calendar1.htm

Edited by gone troppo

guys can i just add one thing about cat collars, i usually advise my puppy buyers not to use these because the elastic bit can stretch enough that the little dogs get out of them especially if they are hooked onto a lead it stretches it even more, very dangerous especially if someone is walking near a road.

show leads are good, there is a good little collar available at most BIG W or KMART stores, it is a collar that allows you to put the little metal bit that usually goes in made holes, it goes in any part of the collar as it is made of lose weave material hence you can make it any size even to fit a 6 week old puppy if you want. i use these on training all my very tiny babies. they are between $5 to $10 in price last time i bought one which was a few years ago and my mother has the same collar for her babies too.

ETA..just thought of what we've done in the past is buy a leather collar the smallest you can find, cut it to size then put in the holes yourself with a sharp knife gentle twisting it into the leather making sure you don't break it all the way usually works a treat too. make sure the collar doesn't go over their ears and is safe too i usually can fit one finger or maybe two unde the collar so its not super tight choking them but tight enough it won't get off them.

you do need to be safe when you are walking your little one at all times.

Edited by toy dog

thanks for all the advice people, i spoke to my friend the other night and suggested for her to go to the dog shows at epic and have a look for a collar there,

Ceba is a very little girl, so hopfully she will find something that fits

• 6 months later...

thanks for all the advice people, i spoke to my friend the other night and suggested for her to go to the dog shows at epic and have a look for a collar there,

Ceba is a very little girl, so hopfully she will find something that fits

i know its been many months did you find a show lead, just wanted to add that i don't believe that even show leads are safe as i've witnessed over the years little dogs twisting out of these. the reason why they do is because most show leads have just a rubber stop to keep the dog in.

you can buy leads that are called martingale leads they keep the dog inplace by two metal rings they are the safest but a small puppy they are not always good.

the best to get a small puppy or dog is what i suggested from Kmart or Big W a collar that is mesh that allows you to put the little tongue thru any part of the collar. so you can make it any size even if your dog is very tiny. usually about 7 or 8 dollars. not much for peace of mind.

TOY DOG

• 5 months later...

Ebay. Its the only place I've found that sells 6" collars. Note a collar should only be for decorative purposes, a step in harness should be used for walking on lead. Ebay is also good for buying small sized dog clothes, harnesses, and everything else a tiny chi needs. Most pet shops dont stock stuff for such little dogs, and if they do, they charge a fortune.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm coming in on this really late but it may be useful for people later on. I use the Rogz Puppyz collars. They are teeny tiny adjustible collars and I have used them for both my Chi's.

I use these ones as well. Even though my Chi is 2 yrs he I still buy these ones.

I pefer the little harness sets you can buy for a dwarf rabbit, they fit chihuahuas ok as puppies and the normal size rabbit when they are fully grown, that way they cant slip a collar or risk choking either.

i get mine from the local produce stores much cheaper than the pet shops too.

this is the blue and green tarten one, comes with harness and lead on this chihuahua about 2.02 into harrys video n yes I bred her, sassy by name and nature.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/tv-and-video/video/watch/29693626/dr-harry-tv-jumper/1416633/

Edited by asal

• 3 months later...

Hi all, our newest addition to the family finally came home this week and has settled in so well. :) Just curious though, as to what is an ideal diet for them? What do you guys feed you little ones? At the moment he is being fed RoyalCanin Junior food, 2-3 times per day about 40-50 grams each time. His parents and other siblings were strictly fed this brand as well but I am wondering whether that is sufficient and nutritional? Would he need to be fed any wet foods?