French Bulldog

Troy

Can I ask where you buy your Oakwood Shampoo from?

I tried the web site, and even though they have an online shop the link just goes to an advertisment with Dr Katrina in and no where else :laugh: I tried a few other online pet stores, but none of them sell it.

Bluefairy

Can I ask where you buy your Oakwood Shampoo from?

I tried the web site, and even though they have an online shop the link just goes to an advertisment with Dr Katrina in and no where else :o I tried a few other online pet stores, but none of them sell it.

Bluefairy

They always have a stall at the Royal if you're going to be in Sydney for that. Otherwise ring them on 4967 6504 and ask them for your nearest stockist. Pet Barn might have it, might be worthwhile asking them. I know that when I see it on the shelves I usually but a few at a time.

Good luck :eek:

Advance rehydratable is a good starter when weaning - so is the Royal Canin product if you can get it (not easy to obtain). Stay on the Advance Puppy until around 12 weeks and then move to Royal Canin Medium adult. We've had great results.

Oakwood sponsor a lot of dog clubs. They have a website www.oakwoodproducts.com Australian made which is a bonus. First started using it about 5 or 6 years ago after winning it at Sydney Royal. They've just launched a new oatmeal and aloe vera shampoo which would be worth trying.

I went to Petbarn in Alexandria on Saturday and they had both the Advance and the Royal Canin Rehydratable.

They also had the Oakwood Shampoos and conditioners. I bought the Oatmeal and Aloe vera one for $12.68. It was great and cleansed well and made Pierre's coat very soft. There wasn't as much fragrance or shine though but i'd say that is becasue its more for sensitive skin so focuses more or skin than coat.

Affirmation - If you can't find it let me know coz i'm happy to grab one for you.

• 1 year later...

I have always admired Frenchies and hoped that one day I might have one in my life. So it was with great interest that I read this thread.

Some questions;

Are all Frenchies prone to spine and/or other known Frenchie health issues, OR... if you get one from an experienced proper breeder, do all the right checks, check the parents AND don't have a house with stairs for he/she to traverse (A child proof gate could be put in for people with stairs I'd imagine) etc - then is the chance of a Frenchie living a healthy life high?

Can Frenchies be walked for an hour, or only 20-30 minutes at a time?

Can Frenchies accompany their owner on a 3-5km slow jog a few times a week?

The Frenchie is the only breed that I have heard can be troublesome in terms of toilet training. This confuses me because since they are so intelligent, I would have thought they be easily toilet trained?

How do you avoid/minimise toilet training issues with a Frenchie?

Can a Frenchie be left alone for 8 hours with another small dog during the day if exercised mentally and physically well? My kelpie and Westie are mostly indoor dogs and they can be left for up to 8 hours a day no problems, and they mainly snooze the day away. If I had a Westie and Frenchie for example, could they be left for 8 hours a day?

Hi Sky, may I suggest you also ask this question in the French Bulldog thread? Its quite active so will have more people looking at it. Here's a link for you: French Bulldog Thread

Im not experienced enough to give you a decent answer but I agree you definitely want to find the right breeder to at least improve your chance of a healthy long lived Frenchie. The way your dog is raised, diet / environment etc would also contribute to the age of the dog. One of the questions I asked the amazing breeder I ended up getting Maggie from was the longevity of her dogs. She has multiple generations still going strong which is fantastic.

They are actually pretty active dogs and if you keep them fit I don't think you'd have an issue going on long walks and short jogs. I don't know about jogging continually with them if there's a chance they could get too hot because being a brachycephalic breed they aren't going to have the ease of breathing a longer snouted breed might. Im pretty sure there was an endurance event last year won by a Frenchie and owner though!

Im not the best person to give advice on toilet training either because I do have issues with Maggie. At least once a week I'll find a wee in the house. Normally its in the hallway but sometimes she'll venture into my bedroom (where she knows she's not allowed to go) and she'll wee there too. Every now and then she'll poo as well as if to say 'take that!'.

Maggie is on her own here while we work and seems to cope fine. She sleeps away the day as Im sure most dogs do and is inside with us when we're home although she can go outside if she wishes. She has loads of things to chew and play with during the day but touches none of them. They're left in exactly the same postion when I get home as they were in the morning (unless of course she's just really neat lol). I feel sorry for her because she must be bored but I don't know how else to encourage her to play and chew them. :(

Im sure Frenchie owners in the other thread would love to help you, and Im sure you wouldn't be sorry getting a Frenchie. They are awesome!!

Edited by Roova

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the last few years, ads for French bulldogs in RARE COLORS have exploded all over the Internet. French Bulldog breed clubs around the world are having to take a stand against the irresponsible people who are deliberately breeding non-allowable colour patterns. Official breed clubs are alerting the public about this scam.

If you see puppies advertised as blue, blue brindle, blue pieds, blue fawns, chocolate, chocolate brindle be aware that these colours are not correct to the breed standard. They are highly undesirable. Yes - they can occur occasionally however reputable breeders will place these dogs after desexing in pet homes. The deliberate breeding of highly undesirable colour patterns (disqualifying colours) is not ethical. The more widespread the recessive genes for these colours infiltrate the gene pool, the greater the risk that reputable breeders will at some point find their own lines contaminated.

Do not be deceived into believing that a diluted colour pattern is rare and therefore valuable. They are only rare because ethical breeders choose not breed them. Dilutes of any hue cannot be registered on the Main Register. All highly undesirable colour patterns must be accurately described and will only be allowed on to the Limited Register. Dogs on the Limited Register cannot be shown, nor can their offspring be officially registered – even on the Limited Register. This alone makes them less valuable.

People who truly love this breed don't want to change it and make it something it is not supposed to be. I recently read a post on a forum with a comment about a dilute frenchie with green eyes. The person thought it was "EVIL". That is so not frenchie. Breed characteristics must be maintained otherwise we'll end up with a mutant which no longer resembles a frenchie.

For more information about the French Bulldog please go to The French Bulldog Club of NSW website www.frenchbulldogclubnsw.asn.au

Well said Secretary, this has been the bain of my life in recent years, so glad that you have brought it to the attention of the many new breeders we seem to be getting, so that they know from the outset what is correct in colours and what is HIGHLY UNDESIRABLE, we have to protect our beautiful breed from this colour problem, and unless the new comers, with all good intentions, do not have a mentor that have been in Frenchies for a good deal of time and know the dogs that sadly have been bred from with the incorrect colours and allowed to be on the main register, we are all liable to suffer in our breeding programmes, we do not need the mutants, of course some will get these colours now and again, but desexed limited register and as you said not worth much in the money value for they are no good for breeding.

I am wondering how we could possibly monitor this so as the controlling bodies will not allow them on main register as they have done so in the past.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

first time owner

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

no idea

3. How common is it in Australia?

seems to becomming more and more popular

4. What is the average lifespan?

10-13 years?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

he's a clown that has moved in and totally runs the show these days

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

i walk mine a few times a week for about 20 odd mins and every other day he hangs out with a staffy which completely tires him out

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

yep fairly easily i think as long as you're prepared to let the dog sit with u on the couch etc

not a dog to be locked out outside 24 hours a day

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

yes and no i guess

9. How much grooming is required?

not much if any

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

my boy is pretty awesome with children. i have nieces and nephews who enjoy playing with him. as long as they arn't walking around with food or get extreamly excited and start running around like crazy etc

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

they can have a fair few problems like spine and breathing problems that a new owner should make sure thier breeder has done all the necessary checks

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

find out if the dog suits your lifestyle first before buying and find out what thier history is and make sure all the relevent health checks are done

Also having spines x rayed for hemi vertebra and patellas checked

They are great dogs, i am lucky to have 2 of them in my life - they belong to my housemates and are brilliant dogs

You need to watch them in the heat - not a dog you could leave outside on a 38 degree day IMO

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

There is some confusion about health testing and available results.

Recommended breeding practices for the French Bulldog include:-

Over 12 months of age and prior to breeding x-ray spine & hips of any dogs to be used for breeding.

Once this is done x-rays may be forwarded to Dr Rawlinson (SA) for official grading.

At present this scheme is voluntary and it is not a mandatory requirement for puppy registration. However as stated above it is recommended breeding practice.

Breeders please note that the grading forms are available on-line at the French Bulldog Club of NSW website - www.frenchbulldogclubnsw.asn.au

Prospective purchasers of puppies may ask for copies of the hip & spine grading certificates of the sire and dam, particularly if breeders are advertising their dogs as spine & hip tested. If the breeder has not gone the extra step and had x-rays graded, they should at least be able to provide you with a report from the veterinarian who took the x-rays.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Secretary

at what age do i start feeding my boy adult food??

Each puppy is going to be different however as a general guide.

By 3-4 months of age you can introduce adult kibble. We find with the heavier boned frenchies in particular it is better not to keep them on puppy kibble as it may push the growth too quickly. Fronts can go off and mouths can go off.

Feed 3/4 kibble to 1/4 meat.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi there,

I'm looking for recommended French Bulldog breeders in Victoria.

A lot of breeders listed on DOL don't have phone numbers & emails aren't being answered...

So if you have any contact details for Vic breeders please feel free to PM me or reply here!

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am looking at buying my first French Bulldog puppy.

I visited the breeder and the puppies last night and found a puppy I like. The breeder told me that this puppy is fawn pied, I think it looks sable with the black strip down its back.

What do you guys think?

Thank you :)

2n80cwm.jpg

2ii78fa.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi guys! My hubby and I are looking to add a Frenchie to the family in Id say about 2 years. We know a little about the breed but would like to learn as much as possible before we actually get one. Someone told me you can get mini frenchies but I assume that's about as accurate as a teacup chihuahua hahaha.

When choosing a breeder, what should we look for? We are in qld so if there's any qld breeders/owners in this thread Id love some feedback

We currently own an 11 month old Great Dane, 4 year old boxer and 5 year old chihuahua

Hi guys! My hubby and I are looking to add a Frenchie to the family in Id say about 2 years. We know a little about the breed but would like to learn as much as possible before we actually get one. Someone told me you can get mini frenchies but I assume that's about as accurate as a teacup chihuahua hahaha.

When choosing a breeder, what should we look for? We are in qld so if there's any qld breeders/owners in this thread Id love some feedback

We currently own an 11 month old Great Dane, 4 year old boxer and 5 year old chihuahua

There is no such thing as a mini frenchie and stay well clear of anyway proclaiming to have them.

Best to contact the French Bulldog Club of QLD, there's lots of info on their website about health tests etc. They also have fun days and I'd thoroughly recommend going along to one.

http://www.qldfrenchbulldogclub.com/