French Bulldog

Troy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi All, I have a couple of questions about the adorable Frenchies.

Due to the care required to ensure they do not get heat affected, will they take themselves inside when it gets too hot outside? So in the case where people have a couple of dogs, and they have a dog door so the dogs can go in and out as they please, if the day gets really hot, and the humans are out for half a day - is the Frenchie at risk from the heat or do they have the sense to take themselves inside?

In my research I have seen that flatulence is common. Aside from having a raised food bowl to make it easier for them to eat, and feeding them quality food eg high in protein, low in corn - that sort of thing (I usually use Royal Canin or Black Hawk for both my dogs and cats) - what else can be done to manage/reduce the level of potent flatulence I have read about?

In mild weather (no heat issues), can they walk for an hour or no more than 30 minutes?

Hi All, I have a couple of questions about the adorable Frenchies.

Due to the care required to ensure they do not get heat affected, will they take themselves inside when it gets too hot outside? So in the case where people have a couple of dogs, and they have a dog door so the dogs can go in and out as they please, if the day gets really hot, and the humans are out for half a day - is the Frenchie at risk from the heat or do they have the sense to take themselves inside?

In my research I have seen that flatulence is common. Aside from having a raised food bowl to make it easier for them to eat, and feeding them quality food eg high in protein, low in corn - that sort of thing (I usually use Royal Canin or Black Hawk for both my dogs and cats) - what else can be done to manage/reduce the level of potent flatulence I have read about?

In mild weather (no heat issues), can they walk for an hour or no more than 30 minutes?

I don't think you can really rely on them to slow down and be sensible in the heat. Sure, he will migrate from sun to shade when he's sleeping and gets too hot, but if something was holding his attention and keeping him active, he'd continue to do so in the heat.

Yes they fart. I'm not sure anything makes much of a difference. Mine has always been on a raw diet.

Mine will walk for as long as I do. We average about 6kms, which takes an hour. We don't go when it's hot, because if it's hot for me, it's obviously hot for him. He does have his Endurance Title, so has run 20kms in under 2.5 hours.

So much of the above depends on the dog, its structure and breeding. Sid is obviously more athletic than most and breathes really well.

Edited by huga

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

My partner and myself have recently introduced a 13 week old Male Frenchie into our home. We are very happy with him and things are progressing slowly but hopefully surely, with the usual toilet training, getting used to a new home etc.

Our biggest challenge so far has been the separation between ourselves and our frenchie. As soon as we isolate him, even for a couple of minutes he barks, scratches, urinates and defecates on the floor. We are just looking for any help with this topic. We understand that he is a very young pup in a new environment, and hopefully overtime this behavior will phase itself out. Thank you for any help.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, teddybeans said:

i love frenchies. Dog they have the same bloodline as pugs?

From memory ..Pugs originated from a type of dog in ancient china ... French bulldogs  from a type of bulldog mix in France, at a much later date  :)

4 hours ago, persephone said:

From memory ..Pugs originated from a type of dog in ancient china ... French bulldogs  from a type of bulldog mix in France, at a much later date  :)

ah okay~!  thanks for that.  Both are gorgeous regardless :D

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

ah okay~!  thanks for that.  Both are gorgeous regardless :D

The results of a Google search may be of interest:

Pugs are believed to have originated in the Orient, namely China, where they were documented by Confucius as early as 551 BC. We also know that the common forbearers for the Pug are the Pekingese and the Lion Dog. Pugs (or Lo-Sze which is an early name for pug) were considered prized possessions by Chinese emperors.

The French Bulldog is a breed of domestic dog. In the 1800s, they were the result of a cross between English Bulldogs imported from England and local ratters in Paris, France.

http://www.frenchbulldogsouioui.com/history-of-the-french-bul.asp

and scroll down to the 2nd paragraph in this link

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/pug.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...