Papillon

Troy

• 9 months later...

Hi Everyone!

Would a pap make a good buddy for an acd?? I am thinking that one of these is my next dog, as I was wanting something small but smart so I can do obedience and agility - and after reading a bit about these guys, I think this will be the way to go! He does like small dogs and had a malt x as a buddy at one stage (was my friends dog that was staying here).

What do you think?? DO breeders sell older dogs on main reg? or even ltd register would be fine, as my ACD is associate register, I need one on either main or ltd to be able to compete as Im in QLD!

thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest Panzer Attack!

puddles: why do you need a Mains dog if you're not showing? You would be fine with a Limited Reg, right? Mine is on Main and desexed (didn't turn out for the ring unfortunately) but I don't see there being a problem with a Limited dog... If you look on the main DOL page you will see Pap older dogs occasionally being rehomed and some of them are just beautiful.

---

I'll just answer a few of the questions, since some of them only really have one answer and have been answered by people with much more knowledge than I!

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

First time owner :) (my last dog was a cross tho)

3. How common is it in Australia?

Becoming more popular, as can be seen by the increase of rescue Paps in the last few years. I've met 2 pedigrees (apart from at the Royal), one is mine and one is from my pup's dam & sire's kennel! Of the other two, one was a rescue that I fostered from the Trading Post, and the other was a BYB. Occasionally I will be asked if my dog is a Papillon (usually pronounced wrong, hehe) but mostly people think he's a Chihuahua or a Pom x. (Got asked once if he was a BC puppy?!)

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Cheerful, chirpy, friendly, curious and so smart! Barky... I've been told he's pretty quiet compared to most, but I've put a LOT of work into him and he's still nowhere near as good as I want him.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

He's more energetic than the other dogs I've owned/lived with (JRTx, Papx, AmStaff, Corgix), I walk him for at least 45 minutes a day and do some trick training with him, otherwise he starts destroying things! He's very high drive for a toy, which suits me fine. Most others probably don't need as much stimulation as he does tho.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

Yeah, for sure. I personally found Scooter a lot easier to deal with once he was desexed, the only annoying thing about him is toilet training.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Mine is 8 months. In that time he has destroyed a hard drive cord and a headphone cord. He's lived with a foster dog for a month and after he got rehomed only took a couple of days to settle back down. On my days off, if I go out he'll put himself to bed and wake up when I come home. HOWEVER - I put a lot of energy into him when I am around. They're not the type of dog you could just lock in the backyard on their own (but what is, really?).

9. How much grooming is required?

He has perfect coat type (single, barely sheds) and I still HAVE to brush him AT LEAST every second day. I should be doing it every day. Dirt brushes straight out, I generally wash him once a month. I scissor his feet in the correct show style because I'm a dork, but this isn't really neccesary. If you're not prepared to brush your dog please don't consider this breed, they look hideous shaved. His ears drive me bananas! I use Animal House shampoos and conditioners, and the Plush Puppy OMG spray, as well as the Plush Puppy coat spray & shine.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Elderly people - perfect. Small kids - NO! They're too small and fragile. I'm considering a second dog and have ruled so many breeds out due to their play style and the likelihood of Scooter getting hurt.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

I got the patellas checked but my breeder is very open about her practices and discusses everything with me, so I wasn't as thorough as I should have been.

Be prepared to be asked what kind of dog 'she' is constantly if you get a male!

E x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

Would a pap make a good buddy for an acd?? I am thinking that one of these is my next dog, as I was wanting something small but smart so I can do obedience and agility - and after reading a bit about these guys, I think this will be the way to go! He does like small dogs and had a malt x as a buddy at one stage (was my friends dog that was staying here).

What do you think?? DO breeders sell older dogs on main reg? or even ltd register would be fine, as my ACD is associate register, I need one on either main or ltd to be able to compete as Im in QLD!

thanks!

You got it right Paps are great for Obed/Agility , I steward at a Agility trial on Sat, we had a few Paps in, boy did they give the larger breeds a run for their money :rofl:

yes there are breeders who may sell their older dogs to loving forever homes, you will find the dogs will be desexed & the dog maybe be put on limited reg.