Basset Fauve De Bretagne

Troy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My experience with hounds in general is that they are inclined to follow their noses everywhere . . . sometimes ending up far from home. Our neighbourhood basset when I was a kid always wandered off to the local elementary school when he got out, which was regularly.

Is the Fauve a typical hound in this respect?

Sorry GB - just saw your note - will PM you tomorrow evening.

Sandgrubber - hmmmm - yes they definitely follow their noses and if given the opportunity to wander most definitely would. However, having owned JRTs my fences are very secure and they don't get the opportunity but they would definitely follow interesting smells.

In Europe people who hunt with them sometimes complain that they don't go far ENOUGH away from the humans to hunt properly but I've been game to try it.

I have a very large golden retriever, a smaller golden retreiver and a coolie plus 3 cats.

Are they a dog that could withstand all of this? :D

I've been thinking and rethinking and thinking again about what I want my show dog to be and these may be perfect but I do want a dog that is also going to enjoy playing running games with my coolie (who isn't that high energy just needs motivation to move him at times).

thank you :angel:

Mine have loved every dog they have met. Marie is a little more reserved but Daphne just throws herself at everyone and everything :) .

The breeder has Dachshunds, Whippets & Fauves and they all get on well from what I can tell.

Mine are currently having a ball playing with a kelpie X of 7 months of age who plays hard and fast - they love her.

Another person who shows has GSPs and Fauves and they all get on well.

I can't remember where you are Ons but if you're anywhere near Wagga in June I highly recommend the hound speciality show as there will be lots of Fauves attending - nearly all that are exhibiting in Australia at the moment so our first "speciality".

• 5 weeks later...

Questions from me as this is the best close up photo I've seen for quite a while... :D

lol, just wanted to get the thread back on track! :D I wondered how long it would take you to notice!

Has she been heavily stripped or is that her "normal" coat?

She was stripped right down a couple of months ago and brought back to me as some of the coat was starting to fall out without help. Owners trims off the beard. When the coat is left to grow, it does have a good texture and a paler colour.

How old is she?

umm, about 2 now.

What is her prefix again?

Eldonmere

Cool - my girl Marie has a coat that is naturally much the same as hers is now. Daphne has more coat but when stripped off looks much the same. The newest boy to do well here in Australia, Marcus, has much more coat and is almost PBGV like in terms of coat. Even heavily stripped out he has a lot of coat like many of the Fauves I've seen pics of in the UK.

Thanks for that Becks - I love the chance to see more Fauves :thumbsup:

Why wouldn't I be allowed to take photos of a dog on my property?

I think GB is reffering to putting them on the internet ? and checking you have permission to do so ?

I know if my dogs were at a groomer or vet, I wouldn't mind if they took piccies, but I would very definatley want to be asked permission for their image to be posted on the net.

fifi

• 4 weeks later...