Basset Fauve De Bretagne

Troy

:-)) here you go, sort of what I was doing, but WITH a dog on a lead !

yes, strange how not an soul even looked up when I had an imaginary dog on an imaginary lead !!!

fifi

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh I love that bitch!!! I've been told by a Judge (and fellow breeder) that this girl's structure is almost perfect but she has bucketloads of coat. She will have been very, very heavily stripped out in that video from what I'm told of her coat. She has a lovely cobby body doesn't she? Her proportions just look gorgeous to me.

I also laugh at how relaxed showing is over there - I could really enjoy that :) .

I heard today that there are four more Fauves in Australia now with a new litter born 3 weeks ago.

Oh I love that bitch!!! I've been told by a Judge (and fellow breeder) that this girl's structure is almost perfect but she has bucketloads of coat. She will have been very, very heavily stripped out in that video from what I'm told of her coat. She has a lovely cobby body doesn't she? Her proportions just look gorgeous to me.

I also laugh at how relaxed showing is over there - I could really enjoy that :eek: .

I heard today that there are four more Fauves in Australia now with a new litter born 3 weeks ago.

:) Great to hear the Fauve population just 'exploded' :)

I'm glad she is a nice example Trish, as it was just a random search on youtube for a Fauve being shown ! she does look lovely and so happy :D

Yes, I had to giggle at the very casual looking indoor show.

I was looking at that wrinkled floor mat and TEENY ring area, and laughing at the thought of me careering around with a wolfhound, either tripping on the rug or crashing through five rows of spectator seating as we got into stride !!! and here I thought some of the big grass rings here weren't big enough !! (big for me...small for my hounds !!!) :(:(

fifi

Yes when people ask me what breed my dogs are and look at me blankly I'll have to remember to say "its okay to have not heard of them, there are only 24 in Australia". To think when I first started I used to say "there are only 7 in Australia" :)

• 3 weeks later...

IF anyone is in the Wagga area this weekend and interested in seeing a very large number of the Fauves currently in Australia they should head down to the Southern Regions show on Saturday. There will still be Fauves there Friday & Sunday but Saturday is the BIG show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trish.

I have just been looking at lots of pics, there is one of a Fauve walking out into a ring.

He seems so self assured and confident.

I am now getting my head around the need to keep my pup either crated, or on a long line.

Particulaly because there are so many rabbits up here.

Can you reccomend a site were i can read up on Fauves?

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I looked into the basset fauve some years back. My research said: 'lovely dog on many counts . . . much healthier than the better know basset . . . but has the hound trait of following its nose, and can be a serious problem as an escape artist. Dunno if that's true. But I think it might be a good idea to check . . . and warn potential puppy buyers that they may end out with a dog that is skilled at going walkabout.

• 1 month later...

Sorry all - I missed the responses to this thread.

As for allergies my Fauves shed like nobodies business so if you're allergic to fur and dander I would imagine that you could have a lot of issues with allergies to be honest. I am seriously allergic to cats but don't have a problem with my Fauves (obviously) other than picking up the hair they leave around the house.

When it comes to walking them they are most definitely a scent-hound and most definitely a pack animal. I have been walking 3 Fauves a day for a couple of months and it is amazing to watch them when they get a scent. One Fauve on their own will smell something and be excited but is relatively easily distracted. Two Fauves will pull, sniff, jump and whine a little but can still be moved along relatively easily. Three Fauves are a different story!!!! Recently we went for a walk on the local village common and they discovered a scent and we ran together - them in front, me behind - whilst they talked and barked and howled about what they could smell. It was amazing to watch them "work". Last weekend Steve and I went for a walk and a fox crossed the road about 100 metres ahead of us - once we reached that point we stopped to see if we could see where it had gone and the Fauves went CRAZY!!! They whined, they howled, they barked, they pulled and they knew that they were supposed to chase after that smell that had just gone through there. I have no doubt that a Fauve provided with the ability to chase after something that distracting would find a way to do it but no different than a terrier. I have owned Jack Russells in the past and they were much worst escape artists than my Fauves.

Of the 3 Fauves bitches I have with me now, one would always come back to me (Daphne), one will rarely come back (Marie - why we call her "the Bitch") and one who picks and chooses (Anna). Speaking with Neil who first imported them he says that most of them turn around and look at you, smile, and piss off. I have found this to be true!! In the UK, where there are many more Fauves, they say that if you train them from a very young age you won't have this problem and I plan on putting this to the test with our next Fauve. When you read the European hunting forums they will say that the biggest problem with the Fauves is that they won't leave you to hunt. I think that the thing to remember is that they are truly a pack animal and have a real pack drive. Anyone who has seen my Fauves at a show (or worse yet, attended a show with me) will know that my Fauves have a TERRIBLE habit of howling when I walk away from the gazebo. I have talked to a behaviouralist trainer about it and they have said that they go into "pack drive" and having watched them with this fox scent last week I would agree with it. It also seems to be something that is in lines - the newer lines in Australia don't seem to have the same problem with howling, thank the Lord!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I am now a Fauve owner of a mature girl Anna and my baby puppy Cedro.

Have to say they are the nicest dogs I have met, gentle, family friendly, happy and happy to learn

Cedro has good recall, thanks to Trish and comes to me every time I call. Although there are a lot of good sniffs in my yard, he still comes.

Everyday is a joy with these dogs.