Need Your Support And Prayers/thoughts

PeiLuvR

RIP SWEET PIT (Boy/Bob)

I screwed up. I Should hav just kept him, desexed him, microchipped him and spoilt him rotten ! My brother is distraught.. its tough seeing a 29yr old almost in tears with anger and frustration :) Too sad.

I too am very frustrated and disappointed.. with myself and the sytem which euthanased him this morning (Beautiful black boy,approx 18months) :)

I asked for a copy of a temp test report, they said NO. They said he was dog aggressive and attacked another dog. I asked if the other dog was injured, (NO) i asked if he lunged at the dog and made contact (NO) Did he growl at the dog ? (Not going into this any further...)

This boy was lost. Taken into my care. Fed and given a bed late at nite. Taken to the vet to check for microchip. Signed over to vet :cry: (Should hav left with him there and then) TAKEN to local council pound for 1 day. Taken approx 45 mins across town to another pound. Kept locked up for 8 days.

Would u growl at a dog/or person u didn't know if u were in his position ?? Would u be upset and not ur usual self ?? If i was being kept in a strange place, confused and scared, i too would deserve to be killed - because i know that i would hav had enuf too ! :)

A VICIOUS DOG AGRESSIVE PITBULL :laugh::)

Sorry everybody. I needed to vent.

:laugh:

I let him down. NO, THE SYSTEM LET HIM DOWN !

There are a lot of dogs out there that don't get along. I currently own a dog/fear aggressive dog. I AM WORKING TO CHANGE THIS ! It can be done ! And i would hav worked with the Pit boy :D

:banghead: Don't beat yourself up over it PeiLuvR. You did your best, most people would have dumped him at the pound and forgotten about him.

It's extremely sad that they decided to pts a dog that was obviously so wanted. You have not failed this dog at all- it's the vet and the pound that did this, not you. I'm sorry this had to happen to you.

:) RIP Bob :banghead:

I took him to my usual vet. Over the fone they said they would just scan him and then let us worry about finding his owners, not actually take him !!

I guess i was naive and as my brother has said - i am too trusting.. i trusted a system which doesn't work ! :laugh: (In my eyes)

I wish we'd gone to a small dodgy vet that couldn't have cared less that we'd found him..

Yes.. His last stop was THE LOST DOGS HOME :love: I was not sure whether to post the pound or not.. What does it matter now. He's gone :)

I wasn't positive if he was a pure pitbull, he had floppy-ish ears .. i guess i was dumb for taking him and handing him over. I thort i was doing the right thing. My brother was hesitant but i told him we had to get him checked for a microchip and we couldn't just keep some ones dog..

This boy has made such a huge impact on us. He will stay in our hearts :D :laugh:

I have been in this exact situation!

Had an APBT come into my yard twice in a week, he was friendly, semi trained (would sit and drop when asked, jumped in car with no hesitation)

I chucked a lead on him and did the doorknock thing for a good 2hrs in my local neighbourhood, no joy so i thought i would go to the pound down the road to get him scanned for a chip.

I went in and asked if someone had reported a lost 'Amstaff X' or similar in last couple day, someone had but hadn't left contact details!!!!

So i asked if i could have the dog i found scanned for a chip and i would hold him for owner if he was, they said no we can't do that it is against the law.

So knowing what would happen if i surrendered him as he was DA, i went home made up posters with a photo i took. Plastered the local area with the posters and waited.

I had the dog for 4 days in total before i gave up hope of finding his owners, i tried to rehome with some friends i knew were after a 'bully' type dog but tot no avail.

In the end i had no choice but to surrender him to the pound, where he was subsequently temp tested and FAILED for being DA (as a lot of pits are) and was then PTS!!!!

I have vowed to never again let this happen to another dog just because they look a certain way or display some DA.

Gee if i was worried about DA, none of my 3 dogs would be with me now.

RIP little buddy.

• 3 weeks later...
Wait. Are they the vets really bound by law to take him? I've never heard that before.

I think any dog 'found' or 'stray' they can take.. we wish we hadn't signed the papers now :D

Need special miracle vibes all week for this boy *******************************

I am a vet nurse and this sounds like a really strange situation. I have had heaps of people find dogs and want to reunite them with their owners. There is no form I know of to get people to sign to take dogs from them. All I can suggest is that you stay on the pound and keep reminding them that you want to take the dog on. Most pounds would rather rehome than euthanase.

You can always argue the breed definition. Hope this helps. Good luck

Yep our council has the contract for this pound so any dogs taken in our area after their waiting period at the Council Facility are taken straight to have their Death Warrant signed at this place :confused:

I'm also a vet nurse and have never taken a stray dog off someone unless it's microchipped, and this is only because there have been a few cases of the finder not wanting to return the dog, or trying to charge a fee. We only send to the pound as a last resort or to the RSPCA if the dog is hurt beyond first aid and rest. We DO however have a form, we use it for every animal (wildlife and such) coming in and being dropped off. 1. it helps us know what area the animal came from & 2. it stops the small amount of people who harass us for information beyond what we are legally able to tell them... ie: the animal has gone home... these people are usually looking for a reward or something. NEVER would I allow the staff at our clinic to take an animal that wasn't microchipped that could find a loving home (and someone willing to look for the owner). There is no law saying we have to either. I am VERY against BSL and believe EVERY dog deserves the right home and to be loved. I feel so sad for this poor little boy, and I have met many like him, but thankfully I have a great network of clients that are with me and willing to help look for a home. I feel sorry for your vet/nurses as if this is the way they are going - would they refuse to treat a PBT or cross if the occasion arised?? Equality for all dogs I say.........punishment for the owner!!!

Oh and my friend has American Staffy's and had to actually get her pedigree papers to prove it to get her out of the pound otherwise they were going to have her PTS. She didn't even do anything!!!!!

Edited by Kiramon78