My Poor Baby

camyperth

Hi This is the first time to post at this forum. I have a bishon x who is nine on monday. Last week we went to the vet as he did not want to jump up on the sofa any more so I thought he might have done something to his back. Was deversated to find out he had a large mass in his stomach. :confused: He had x-rays on his chest and a ultra sound, his lungs, liver and kidneys where fine. Last saturday he was operated on and the spleen and tumor was removed, (750gms whitch is big when you only weigh 3.4kg). We have found out the tumor is not good, a hemangiosarcoma. Has anyone ever had any dogs with this condition? Did not realy what to go down the chemo path and anyway it only seem to only add a few mounths. Any feed back would be greatfuly. e.g how long do we have left together

Sorry to hear of your news - wishing you all the best.

Now onto chemo - dogs are not treated with chemo like people are. My boy had chemo for 6 months and he was not sick, did not lose all his fur etc... Dogs don't get sick on chemo like people do because they are not given the massive doses that people are given - their doses are controlled because vets cannot do bone marrow transplants like they have to do with people because chemo kills off good and bad fast growing cells.

Chemo is expensive - ours cost in the range of $8000+ all up. Depending on the chemo protocol used, it can have other side effects. Our lad has to take thyroid medication for the rest of his life.

There is always the holistic route - we use this as well when he was having chemo. The chinese herbs and other supplements like high doses of vitamin C, fish oil, lymphodran and a couple of others really helped and he still takes the vit. C and fish oil...

Our lad has a totally different cancer to yours but I am happy to explain what we went through with Ollie. He was originally dxd in 2005 and given 12-18 months. He is still here nearly 4 years later and as well as can be. Yes he still has tumours but the chemo has put him in remission and it seems to be long lasting.

Thanks for your replys, I will be going to the vets on thursday as Ted (the dog) has to have his stitches out then, and I will have another talk to them,(its a bit hard to take in from a phone call,which is what I have had) but its a horrible thing to say, but I cant afford something between $5-8,000 exspecialy if its only going to give him a few mounths more. But I will try the herbal side of things, Thanks :cry:

Hi This is the first time to post at this forum. I have a bishon x who is nine on monday. Last week we went to the vet as he did not want to jump up on the sofa any more so I thought he might have done something to his back. Was deversated to find out he had a large mass in his stomach. :cry: He had x-rays on his chest and a ultra sound, his lungs, liver and kidneys where fine. Last saturday he was operated on and the spleen and tumor was removed, (750gms whitch is big when you only weigh 3.4kg). We have found out the tumor is not good, a hemangiosarcoma. Has anyone ever had any dogs with this condition? Did not realy what to go down the chemo path and anyway it only seem to only add a few mounths. Any feed back would be greatfuly. e.g how long do we have left together

Hello, sorry to here about your dog, everything you read about HSA sounds bad I know, its really a stressful time but I hope my experience and outcome helps you some. I have a GSD who will be 12 in November, she had her spleen removed with a stage 11 HSA three years ago last month, she was 8yo at the time. I had no follow up treatment, I asked about chemo but my vet said it wasn't needed, the cancer had not spread outside the spleen to any other organ as far as she could see. Sophie's blood cell count, her grey gums etc all returned to normal after the surgery. She has not looked back, eats much better and overall became a much happier dog. We still go for our long walks, she is sleeping more these days but 12 is old for a shepherd. I changed her diet to mainly raw food although she has taken a liking to 4x2,s recently. (naughty)

After her op I was on tenderhooks but as time went on you adjust to whats happened and appreciate what ever time you have with your pet. Hopefully its all good from now on. There is another person on this forum who,s dog had HSA of the spleen, she opted for Chemo, if you look up my posts you will be able to read about it.

Sophie,s survival time should be an inspiration to any other dog. all the best. Di :cry:

Should have added, At the time three years ago my vet operated on 3 dogs in as many weeks with the same problem, my dog Sophie was the third. One was her own dog a blue heeler x, I know for a fact he survived 2.5 years without any further treatment, he was nearly 14 at the time of his op I believe.

Hi Camy

sorry to hear your news but reading dianed's post I can see you have some hope??

My girl has cutaneous hemangiosarcoma but its a completely different disease so I cant give you any advice

but I can send Ted lots of get well wishes :eek:

good luck

best wishes...

if yu can do try to get some advice from a reputable holistic vet... my Lucinda had many additional good years and she was only holistically treated. and she crossed to The Bridge as an elegant old lady approaching 12yo instead of a sprightly 5yo. ( the prognosis was a few weeks)

you may like to consider joining the CanineCancer list on yahoo.. heaps of experience and support there.

Subscribe: [email protected]

also keep in mind that the tumour was most likely discovered before a bleed.. so there is a reasonable chance of a good recovery.

dont panic and dont think of the time left...live each day you have to the full and enjoy each others company.......

hugs

helen

Thanks Hellen for your support. Ted get his stitches out on Thursday and the tumour didnt bleed, so after Thursday I am just going to pretend this didnt happen so I can enjoy Teds company :champagne:

Hi Camyperth, I agree with the approach you are taking. The tumor didn't bleed,so that was in your favour, your vet would have known by the size and shape of the spleen how long the tumor had been there. If Teds happy, go for it :champagne:

Thanks Hellen for your support. Ted get his stitches out on Thursday and the tumour didnt bleed, so after Thursday I am just going to pretend this didnt happen so I can enjoy Teds company :champagne:

I totally agree with you... Enjoy him for the rest of his life - it is the best thing for both of you (they pick up on our stress so much and this worries them too).

All the best with the holistic side of things - I believe it is why my boy is still here more than 2 years longer than they said he would be.

Thanks dianed and staffyluv Will let everyone know how he goes on Thursday as hopefuly I will see the main surgeon, as she was told to stay at home last week ( might have had swine flu) and I have only spoken to the assistant

Hi Ted and I have just got back from vets where he had his stiches out, all looking good :angeldevil: She also said even though the report came back very bad that she also knows of dogs that are still alive 3yrs later and to take one day at a time. I think that sound pretty good to me, who know what is around the corner for anyone. A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM with all the suport you have given. :)