Japanese Spitz

Troy

The Japanese Spitz

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=192 )

Group: Group 7 (Non Sporting)

General Appearance: Profuse, pure white, stand-off coat. Overall quality of body firm and strong. Pointed muzzle, triangular shaped ears standing erect. Well plumed tail carried over back. Ratio of height to length, 10:11.

Characteristics: Affectionate, companionable. Slightly chary at first meeting with strangers.

Temperament: Alert, intelligent, bold and lively.

Head And Skull: Head medium size without coarseness. Wedge shaped when viewed from above. Moderately broad. Slightly rounded skull, broadest at occiput. Well defined stop, forehead not protruding. Muzzle in proportion to the head, tapering to a small, black, round nose. Lips black, firm and tight.

Eyes: Dark, moderate size, oval shaped, set rather obliquely and not too wide apart; black eye rims.

Ears: Small, triangular, standing erect. Set high, facing forward, not too wide apart.

Mouth: Jaws strong with perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck: Strong, arched and of moderate length.

Forequarters: Moderately sloping shoulder, upper arm of sufficient length to ensure elbow is vertically below point of withers. Forelegs straight, elbows firm and tight, pasterns slightly sloping.

Body: Length from point of shoulder to point of buttock slightly greater than height at withers. Chest broad and deep. Ribs well sprung, belly firm with moderate tuck-up. Back straight and short, full of flexibility. Loins broad and firm, with a slight rise. Level croup with high set tail.

Hindquarters: Well proportioned and balanced. Muscular, moderately angulated. Hind legs parallel to each other viewed from rear.

Feet: Small round, cat-like and well cushioned. Pads black, nails preferably dark.

Tail: Moderate length, well plumed, high set, carried curved over the back.

Gait/Movement: Light, nimble, active, energetic and very smooth.

Coat: Outer coat straight and stand-off. Profuse, short, dense undercoat, soft in texture. Shorter on face, ears, front of fore and hind legs and below hocks. Remainder of body covered with long coat. Mane on neck and shoulders reaching down to brisket. Tail profusely covered with long hair.

Colour: Pure white.

Sizes: Height at shoulders:

Dogs 34-37 cms (13.5 - 14.5 ins)

Bitches 30-34 cms (12 - 13.5 ins)

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

owner/exhibitor

There are several theories regarding the true origin of this breed. The following is a quote from the website of Almarvens Kennel in Italy - the author, Marco Piasentin, has conducted extensive research into the history of the Japanese Spitz and wrote a book which is considered by many to be the 'bible' of the breed.

The origin of the Japanese Spitz is said to be from large and medium sized white spitz dogs (White German Spitz and other similar spitz breeds from America, North-East Europe and Asia) brought to Japan beginning from around 1915. In the year 1921 some white spitz were exhibited for the first time at a dog show in Tokyo. Subsequently, in 1925, two pairs of white spitz were imported from Canada and, until around 1936, further imports arrived in Japan from North America, Australia and East Russia (through Manchuria). Eventually their offspring were crossbred to produce a better breed. After the Second World War the first unified breed standard was drawn up in 1948 by the Japan Kennel Club and finally approved in 1953.

Still fairly rare, but the popularity of this lovely little dog is certainly growing! DogzOnline currently has 35 breeders listed.

Approx 12-14 years.

They are very happy, lively little dogs and bond very closely with their family.

This quote from Marco Piasentin sums the breed up very well:

Though neither aggressive nor inclined to biting, the Japanese Spitz keeps a constant and careful watch of the house and the territory. It sometimes displays above average liveliness and noisiness but behaves in general as a very intelligent and alert member of the family.

The extraordinary affection it feels towards its owner is of strong and possessive nature, but expressed in many delicate and tiny ways and with loving friendship.

Marked sense of property as well as strong personality lacking in submissiveness make this dog assume the role of true protagonist in the family right from puppyhood. Its behaviour towards man reflects a sense of mutual friendship rather then instinctive submission. "He" feels he is your heart friend, not your subordinate!

They do not require a lot of exercise, however they are an active breed and enjoy daily walks. Their intelligent nature makes them well-suited to both obedience and agility. If bored, they can be mischievous and are not a breed to be left in the backyard and forgotten.

I believe so, but due to their dominant nature a firm approach is required when raising and training a JS.

For a dog with a long white coat, they are actually surprisingly low maintenance! Although they love to play and get dirty, the non-stick 'teflon' nature of their coat ensures that any mud or dirt simply dries up and falls out. They are a fastidious breed and, like a cat, will lick themselves clean. They do shed (regular brushing will keep this to a minimum) and should never be clipped.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

A bouncy and energetic Japanese Spitz puppy can be quite 'full-on' for young children without adult supervision.

The Japanese Spitz is a very healthy breed, however they can suffer from patella luxation. Breeders should strive to eliminate this fault from their breeding programs. Some JS also suffer from tear-staining.

Guest RosieFT

I have been waiting for this breed to come up :-) .

I have always loved the look of this dog but when we were in our 'research' phase and visited a dog show, the exhibitor with them that we spoke to was exceedingly dismissive of it being a family dog. She was firm that it was not a dog to be had with children and dismissed me almost rudely. In fact, except for the terrier people, I found the small dog people quite rude and unwilling to talk to me/us! The large dog people were lovely and approachable, even though I was not trying to as we were looking for a med/to small dog. Maybe it was a bad day..

Anyway, to my point! ARE they a dog that can be raised happily with children?

How do they compare to German Spitzes? Are they known for being as vocal? How do they compare to other spitzes for training?

To be honest, I haven't had much to do with German Spitz so I'm not too sure how they compare. From what I have read, the temperament sounds fairly similar and I imagine the coat would be very similar also. As far as the Japanese Spitz being vocal, they like to guard their home and family and as such will give a warning bark if they feel that something is not quite right. I wouldn't call them 'yappy' dogs, but as with many breeds they do require mental stimulation to ensure they don't get bored. I would probably consider them to be on the more trainable end of Spitz breeds, they are very intelligent little dogs and learn quickly. I own 2 Sibes as well and they are far more stubborn than my JS.

I have been waiting for this breed to come up :-) .

I have always loved the look of this dog but when we were in our 'research' phase and visited a dog show, the exhibitor with them that we spoke to was exceedingly dismissive of it being a family dog. She was firm that it was not a dog to be had with children and dismissed me almost rudely. In fact, except for the terrier people, I found the small dog people quite rude and unwilling to talk to me/us! The large dog people were lovely and approachable, even though I was not trying to as we were looking for a med/to small dog. Maybe it was a bad day..

Anyway, to my point! ARE they a dog that can be raised happily with children?

Sorry to hear you had a not-so-nice experience, Rosie! Being a companion breed, the Japanese Spitz is a dog that thrives on interaction with its family - so I would definately consider it to be a 'family dog'. Having said that, I think some breeders prefer not to sell pups to homes with very young children (ie 5 and under). I have no children of my own, so cannot give you any first-hand advice - sorry! If you are still interested, feel free to drop me a PM as I can give you the contact details of a lovely breeder who would be more than happy to tell you more about these wonderful little dogs :rofl:

Oh and just because I can, here are a few pics of my boy taken just recently at 6.5 months of age :(

Kyza2310-2.jpg

Kyza235-1.jpg

Guest RosieFT

Thankyou for replying Miss B. Your boy is absolutely gorgeous! We did/do have young kids so perhaps that is where she was coming from. She just would not discuss the breed further with me as soon as I mentioned children. Since the first priority was getting a child friendly breed, i was put off. Ironically, we ended up with a smooth fox terrier because at the same show the breeder was so accomodating and so helpful. I had always liked the wire foxy, my DH the smooth, but didn't think they would suit due to some things I had read about snappiness, dog aggression etc. Anyhoo, after chatting with the breeder, handling some show pups she had there on the day, we were sold.

In the future I will venture down the beautiful Japanese Spitz path again, but for now am super happy with our choice. I cannot help but admire your breed though, so gorgeous. One day! :-) Thanks again and good luck with your boy :-)

In the future I will venture down the beautiful Japanese Spitz path again, but for now am super happy with our choice. I cannot help but admire your breed though, so gorgeous. One day! :-) Thanks again and good luck with your boy :-)

I love Fox Terriers, all of the ones I've met have been gorgeous sweet things :vomit: If you do decide to add a JS to your family at some point in the future - just be warned, they are addictive!! As Marco says in his book, "It is common occurrence that people who have had a Japanese Spitz as their pet are no longer able to find the same satisfaction with any other breed" :laugh: Thanks for your lovely comments on my boy, he's everything I had hoped for and certainly has me hooked on these wonderful little dogs :o

Hi,

hope someone here can answer a question on Japanese Spitz - should they have runny eyes as puppies and stains below their eyes?

I am assuming not, but would be interested from hearing from breeders/owners who know the breed. Many thanks

Korrigan

Hi,

hope someone here can answer a question on Japanese Spitz - should they have runny eyes as puppies and stains below their eyes?

I am assuming not, but would be interested from hearing from breeders/owners who know the breed. Many thanks

Korrigan

Japanese Spitz are known to suffer from tear staining, in varying degrees.

I too have been waiting to read about JS on this forum. I'm intending to buy one too as I find it hard to resist white and fluffy pets :thumbsup: My better half works at the Fortitude Valley and reportedly said he often sees a JS before he arrives at work and he too fell in love with the breed!

That is a really handsome pup you've got there Miss B!!!

• 1 month later...

We too own a beautiful Japanese Spitz.

We waited a very long time to welcome a dog into our home and I finally gave in after much harassing from my 3 daughters! We ended up with a Japanese Spitz quite by accident. I had never seen the breed before and then met a pregnant one... the rest is history :)

We couldn't have asked for a better pet. She is the most loving, gentle dog I have ever met and has the most beautiful nature. At first I was a bit worried about the upkeep of her coat but as Miss B mentioned, it is surprisingly low maintenance, a brush once a week and a bath once every couple of months is all it requires. (she is an inside dog, so doesn't get dirty and they actually clean themselves like cats)

We are now just about to bring a second dog into our home as a playmate for her, a papillon puppy and are hoping for the same affectionate dog that we have with Kimi.

• 3 months later...

owner/exhibitor

There are several theories regarding the true origin of this breed. The following is a quote from the website of Almarvens Kennel in Italy - the author, Marco Piasentin, has conducted extensive research into the history of the Japanese Spitz and wrote a book which is considered by many to be the 'bible' of the breed.

The origin of the Japanese Spitz is said to be from large and medium sized white spitz dogs (White German Spitz and other similar spitz breeds from America, North-East Europe and Asia) brought to Japan beginning from around 1915. In the year 1921 some white spitz were exhibited for the first time at a dog show in Tokyo. Subsequently, in 1925, two pairs of white spitz were imported from Canada and, until around 1936, further imports arrived in Japan from North America, Australia and East Russia (through Manchuria). Eventually their offspring were crossbred to produce a better breed. After the Second World War the first unified breed standard was drawn up in 1948 by the Japan Kennel Club and finally approved in 1953.

Still fairly rare, but the popularity of this lovely little dog is certainly growing! DogzOnline currently has 35 breeders listed.

Approx 12-14 years.

They are very happy, lively little dogs and bond very closely with their family.

This quote from Marco Piasentin sums the breed up very well:

Though neither aggressive nor inclined to biting, the Japanese Spitz keeps a constant and careful watch of the house and the territory. It sometimes displays above average liveliness and noisiness but behaves in general as a very intelligent and alert member of the family.

The extraordinary affection it feels towards its owner is of strong and possessive nature, but expressed in many delicate and tiny ways and with loving friendship.

Marked sense of property as well as strong personality lacking in submissiveness make this dog assume the role of true protagonist in the family right from puppyhood. Its behaviour towards man reflects a sense of mutual friendship rather then instinctive submission. "He" feels he is your heart friend, not your subordinate!

They do not require a lot of exercise, however they are an active breed and enjoy daily walks. Their intelligent nature makes them well-suited to both obedience and agility. If bored, they can be mischievous and are not a breed to be left in the backyard and forgotten.

I believe so, but due to their dominant nature a firm approach is required when raising and training a JS.

For a dog with a long white coat, they are actually surprisingly low maintenance! Although they love to play and get dirty, the non-stick 'teflon' nature of their coat ensures that any mud or dirt simply dries up and falls out. They are a fastidious breed and, like a cat, will lick themselves clean. They do shed (regular brushing will keep this to a minimum) and should never be clipped.

A bouncy and energetic Japanese Spitz puppy can be quite 'full-on' for young children without adult supervision.

The Japanese Spitz is a very healthy breed, however they can suffer from patella luxation. Breeders should strive to eliminate this fault from their breeding programs. Some JS also suffer from tear-staining.

Great jon replying Miss B... I haven't been on this forum for ages now, glad to see another Japanese Spitz addict promoting the breed. :laugh:

Does anyone know any breeder that might have Jap Spitz around end of June or early July?

Thanks

Nicola

Try Esilanna (QLD) on Dogzonline she just mated a bitch of hers, meaning puppies available around June?? My best Advice is to check out those actively showing on the show results section or ask these people for advice on if they have litter or can help (as not everyone post results but it is a nice guide to start with).

A lot of backyard breeders popping into the breed now and advertising on Dogzonline, so remember to ask all the right questions. Good Luck. :(

Does anyone know any breeder that might have Jap Spitz around end of June or early July?

Thanks

Nicola

Try Esilanna (QLD) on Dogzonline she just mated a bitch of hers, meaning puppies available around June?? My best Advice is to check out those actively showing on the show results section or ask these people for advice on if they have litter or can help (as not everyone post results but it is a nice guide to start with).

A lot of backyard breeders popping into the breed now and advertising on Dogzonline, so remember to ask all the right questions. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Hi,

I have never own a dog before so I am not sure what "right questions" I should ask. Can you please lead me? All i know is to ask for all the necessary health cerfiticates. Other than this, what should I ask? What specific questions about Japanese Spitz should I ask? How do you differentiate between BYBer and a good registered breeder?

Sorry for the many questions.

Nicola

Hi,

I have never own a dog before so I am not sure what "right questions" I should ask. Can you please lead me? All i know is to ask for all the necessary health cerfiticates. Other than this, what should I ask? What specific questions about Japanese Spitz should I ask? How do you differentiate between BYBer and a good registered breeder?

Sorry for the many questions.

Nicola

Hey Nicola,

Check out this link: http://www.dogs4sale.com.au/Things_to_cons...ing_puppies.htm has some great information about what to ask and look for when buying a puppy.

The Japanese Spitz is a relatively healthy breed the main problem being Luxating Patellae... the puppy can be checked for this at 8 weeks (however this does guarentee the soundness of the puppy for life). Ask questions about the parents and grand parents health, see how knowledgable the breeder is about their lines and health. Other things that can pop up are eye problems, Hip Dysplasia and Skin problems.

To me a BYBer is just that... they breed. Finding someone who is active in the Dog World is a great place to start, I personally think that those who are active in showing can regularly compare their lines and what they are breeding with others, by both discussing the breed and improving the breed.

Best advice I think I can give you would be to travel to a local show and meeting some breeders and Japanese Spitz in the flesh... you can ask a lot more questions from there... and most importantly follow your gut! :thumbsup:

Hey Nicola,

Check out this link: http://www.dogs4sale.com.au/Things_to_cons...ing_puppies.htm has some great information about what to ask and look for when buying a puppy.

The Japanese Spitz is a relatively healthy breed the main problem being Luxating Patellae... the puppy can be checked for this at 8 weeks (however this does guarentee the soundness of the puppy for life). Ask questions about the parents and grand parents health, see how knowledgable the breeder is about their lines and health. Other things that can pop up are eye problems, Hip Dysplasia and Skin problems.

To me a BYBer is just that... they breed. Finding someone who is active in the Dog World is a great place to start, I personally think that those who are active in showing can regularly compare their lines and what they are breeding with others, by both discussing the breed and improving the breed.

Best advice I think I can give you would be to travel to a local show and meeting some breeders and Japanese Spitz in the flesh... you can ask a lot more questions from there... and most importantly follow your gut! :thumbsup:

And this link: http://www.dogs4sale.com.au/Choosing_a_Breeder.htm

Good Luck!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have actually been to an All Breeds Championship Show in KCC park, Victoria. I fell in love with Japanese Spitz when I first saw it in the pet shop so I decided to go with my OH to dog show to see the "adult version" of Jap Spitz. But we were disappointed as the only breeder we saw there only have 2 4months old puppy there. Could not find other Jap Spitz breeders on that day. I did my research before going to the show and asked a lot questions to that breeder we met there. Hope that I am able to find a good breeder.

Regards,

Nicola

• 3 weeks later...

I too am in the process of finding a good breeder for JS pups. If anybody is able to point me to the right directions (I'm located in Brisbane), that'll be much appreciated. I saw an advertisement on www.muamat.com selling JS puppies for $250 - a price which I think is too good to be true. I've contacted them anyway and wanted to see what they say.

I too am in the process of finding a good breeder for JS pups. If anybody is able to point me to the right directions (I'm located in Brisbane), that'll be much appreciated. I saw an advertisement on www.muamat.com selling JS puppies for $250 - a price which I think is too good to be true. I've contacted them anyway and wanted to see what they say.

Hi lady0421,

I had a look at the website you posted and there seems to be a lot of suspicious looking ads on there, be wary of scammers and puppy farmers/backyard breeders (sadly there are quite a few of these in our breed). The price you could expect to pay for a JS pup from an ethical registered breeder would be $800-$1,000. When are you looking to get a pup? As Kimyata mentioned earlier, Esilanna Japanese Spitz (breeder of my boy) have a litter due to be born next month, let me know if you want any further details or contact info :laugh: