Japanese Spitz

Troy

My Japanese Spitz shows a bit of yellowy colour on the outer tips of the furs. I leave him outdoors so I am guessing its dirt and stain? Is this normal for an outdoor Jap Spitz?

The stains (if they are really stains) are not easy to get off even with shampoos.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Japanese Spitz shows a bit of yellowy colour on the outer tips of the furs. I leave him outdoors so I am guessing its dirt and stain? Is this normal for an outdoor Jap Spitz?

The stains (if they are really stains) are not easy to get off even with shampoos.....

How old your your JS?

My JS had a little of that when she was teething but no anymore

Come to the JS/Samoyed thread in the Sub forum :D

How old your your JS?

My JS had a little of that when she was teething but no anymore

Come to the JS/Samoyed thread in the Sub forum :D

He's 4-5 months and is changing teeth. Hope that's the reason!

Hi,

I've just been wondering, the difference of Japanese spitz and American Eskimo dog. I've never seen an AE but from what I've read they come in different sizes. Anything else that is different with them?

How would you go about differentiating them? From the google pictures they look so similar?

Thanks!

Both the American Eskimo Dog and the Japanese Spitz descended from the White Gross Spitz, today known as the Keeshond, but there are obviously different breeds also added to the combination in the different countries they originated in. From what I've read the original AED was bred with other sledding breeds to create what they are today, whereas I would assume a similar situation happened in Japan with the Japanese adding their own native breeds to the mix. Here is an interesting link - http://japanesedogs.bulldoginformation.com/ (Note the JS in not a native breed to Japan but a breed they nurtured) and try doing a google search on the white Keeshond. :)

Just a few differences in the standards...

Ear placement - The JS ears are set closer together, whereas the AED are well apart.

Pigmentation/Colour - JS are pure white and with black pigmentation - AED can be cream and biscuit with brown noses

Muzzle shape - The AED has a more wedge shape, whereas the JS is more pointed.

Bone Structure - The JS has moderate bone, which is to be thin yet strong. The AED is more solid.

Angulation - The AED is more angulated then the Japanese Spitz structurally.

Tailset - JS is to be tight. AED can drop their tail in rest.

I have also heard they have very different temperament... The AED can be nasty.

Interesting fact the Japanese Spitz is a recongised breed in most countries around the world EXCEPT the USA, which is the ONLY country the AED is registered in. The AKC refused to register the breed as they feel they are too similar?? My response... What the??

That was really interesting Kimyata. Do you know if there have ever been any AED's in AU?

I've seen a 'tree' picture showing the origin and development of the world's languages- I've always thought it would be interesting to see a 'tree' depicting the development of some of the Spitz breeds.

That was really interesting Kimyata. Do you know if there have ever been any AED's in AU?

I have heard that there are but just pet people have bought with them from America, they are not a recognised breed here with the ANKC.

I'm researching the Grossspitz/Giant Spitz- came across reference to the AED coming from the breed, interestingly it says the American's renamed the breed AED as there were negative emotions associated with Germans at the time (Gross/Giant being part of the German Spitzes). Interesting how Germany's actions in the world affected the German Spitz- my understanding is the German Spitz & Pomeranians lost popularity in England during this time as well.

Hi All,

I am involved with Shepherds, however we are reaserching smaller dogs for my step brother in my Fathers home.

Do the Spitz shed a lot of hair? And also how are they as a family dog? Any information in regards to temperament etc would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

Welcomes sometimesnotoften :)

I brush my JS pup every couple of days and we don't have any issues with shedding - though twice a year I'm expecting a snow storm when her coat changes.

To be honest, we see more dog hair on our nneighbour's floors and they have a lab!

Hi All,

I am involved with Shepherds, however we are reaserching smaller dogs for my step brother in my Fathers home.

Do the Spitz shed a lot of hair? And also how are they as a family dog? Any information in regards to temperament etc would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

They do blow coat once or twice a year that in that period, it's best not to wear black! :laugh: During their dropping coat stage, I do brush my JS everyday. But normally, I will brush her maybe once or twice a week (she isn't as fluffy as other JS though).

I have to say that my Cavvie x sheds more than her.

I use to own GSD and my old GSD shed more than my JS did. My GSD use to shed more than my 2 old huskies too!!

---------

There are a few AED around Sydney. They aren't common and often get mixed up for Samoyed x JS though, but the boyfriend met one and he said that it's not as good looking as Em (the coat isn't as white as a JS) and it was a nasty thing (he also said it was a lot bigger than Em).