Vicious Dog At Large.

tybrax

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...349-661,00.html

Vicious dog at large in west.

Submit comment Mark Buttler and Padraic Murphy

August 24, 2009 12:00am

.A DOG suspected of a vicious mauling is missing after attacks left children with facial injuries in Melbourne's western suburbs.

Authorities became aware of one of the attacks only when a police officer on a separate duty noticed a child with nasty bite wounds at the Western Hospital in Sunshine, where she was attending with her parents.

The two-year-old girl had been mauled at about 10.30am by a black dog, which was described as a pit bull, inside a house at Antonie Ave, Delahey.

Her parents drove her to the hospital, where surgery was to be performed on a serious injury to her cheek.

Police later spoke to the dog's owner, a 24-year-old man from Delahey, at a house in the nearby suburb of Burnside Heights.

He told the officers that the dog, which he removed from the house in which the attack happened, had escaped and he had been unable to find it since.

Victoria Police said the matter remained under investigation. The second attack victim was a five-year-old girl who was taken to the Royal Children's Hospital after being mauled in a West Sunshine street.

Witnesses -- who had never seen the dog before -- said the girl was set upon as she walked along Killeen St with family members at about 12.30pm.

"She was just going for a stroll with her mother," one witness said. "I don't know where the dog came from, I've never seen it before.

"I know the girl was pretty badly bitten though, she got taken straight to hospital."

Police later said the animal, which was described as a rottweiler, had run from a house in nearby McElroy St before pouncing on the defenceless youngster.

The dog has been returned to its owner while police work with local council officials as part of their investigation.

tybrax

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a dog attacks a kid it MUST be a Pit Bull!

Bloody Elle

Rotty, APBT, Chihuahua, Poodle , Xolo who cares get it right papers, why cant they say Alleged like they do with

alleged offender!

J

grrrr

.A DOG suspected of a vicious mauling is missing after attacks left children with facial injuries in Melbourne's western suburbs.

Authorities became aware of one of the attacks only when a police officer on a separate duty noticed a child with nasty bite wounds at the Western Hospital in Sunshine, where she was attending with her parents.

The two-year-old girl had been mauled at about 10.30am by a black dog, which was described as a pit bull, inside a house at Antonie Ave, Delahey.

Her parents drove her to the hospital, where surgery was to be performed on a serious injury to her cheek.

Police later spoke to the dog's owner, a 24-year-old man from Delahey, at a house in the nearby suburb of Burnside Heights.

He told the officers that the dog, which he removed from the house in which the attack happened, had escaped and he had been unable to find it since.

Victoria Police said the matter remained under investigation. The second attack victim was a five-year-old girl who was taken to the Royal Children's Hospital after being mauled in a West Sunshine street.

Witnesses -- who had never seen the dog before -- said the girl was set upon as she walked along Killeen St with family members at about 12.30pm.

"She was just going for a stroll with her mother," one witness said. "I don't know where the dog came from, I've never seen it before.

"I know the girl was pretty badly bitten though, she got taken straight to hospital."

Police later said the animal, which was described as a rottweiler, had run from a house in nearby McElroy St before pouncing on the defenceless youngster.

The dog has been returned to its owner while police work with local council officials as part of their investigation.

tybrax

In the news section of this site theres a topic and the premier of that state says he is going to toughen up the BSL on pit bulls even more now, because of this roaming dog attack of an alledged pitbull.

However that is possible? Vic is allready Australias toughest when it comes to BSL. And i cant see how he could 'toughen' it more?

Edited by GeckoTree

In the news section of this site theres a topic and the premier of that state says he is going to toughen up the BSL on pit bulls even more now, because of this roaming dog attack of an alledged pitbull.

However that is possible? Vic is allready Australias toughest when it comes to BSL. And i cant see how he could 'toughen' it more?

Politicians are nothing but useless spineless puppets. I refuse to beleive anyone could be this dumb its impossible. He must know, he just doesnt know what else to do to try and appease people. His probably pleased the way the media report things because it narrows his target.

I am aleaih's great uncle and she is in a very bad way and also it is a pitbull that attacked her

If a dog attacks a kid it MUST be a Pit Bull!

Bloody Elle

Rotty, APBT, Chihuahua, Poodle , Xolo who cares get it right papers, why cant they say Alleged like they do with

alleged offender!

J

grrrr

tybrax

At large my @rse.

My guess is the dog hasn't "run away".. but been spirited away to a safe place.

Ozziesnakes I hope Aleaha makes a full recovery.. but her mum should direct her anger at the dog's owner, not the dog.

Dogs are what owners make of them.

Edited by poodlefan

Another child scared for life, a mum crying in hospital as she receives HATE text messages. The story is tragic.

We breed dogs for all types of purposes, to run fast to catch prey to dive in cold water and fetch ropes for the boats..... to protect to guide to love.

Some people purpose breed for aggression, I am not saying BSL is right or wrong, I am saying some humans select dogs for their aggressiona dn breed them. Perhaps it s for pig hunting or dog fighting :thumbsup:

Problem is the dogs often end up in the wrong situation for which they were bred and they do what they do best..............

Politicians respond to public outrage, the community is calling for " Safety " so laws get tighter. But they get tighter for all of us.

More and more NO DOGS sign appear restrictions on the number of dogs you may own blah blah.. dog ownership becomes more difficult.

What I would like to see is some one seriously prosecuted if their dogs attack a human as in the case of this child, walking in a public place with every right to be there. In no way was that dog provoked.

The owner should feel the full force of the law, ultimately these people are responsible for their dogs, their dogs training their dogs containment, and breeding.

I am aleaih's great uncle and she is in a very bad way and also it is a pitbull that attacked her
Ozziesnakes you could be Mahatma Gandhi doesnt make the dog that attacked your niece a Pitbull.

Maybe Ozziesnakes could enlighten us on who the dog belongs to and how he therefore is able to state the breed of the dog?

I'm very sorry Aleah is hurt, the photos in the media look horrific but all the talk of revenge, killing the dog etc is deflecting attention from the base issue of supervision and responsibility.

The breed is not the issue here, the circumstances leading up to the incident are where attention needs to be paid so there can at least be some learning outcome, not a witch hunt of the dog.

ozziesnakes, i don't believe a word you say. Your first post is on this forum happens to be in this thread, that you happened to know was on this particular forum.

I can picture you in my head as someone who sits behind their computer scared to make a comment under your real user name, so you play these childish games.

You obviously don't like American Pit bulls. but i can assure you something, THEY WILL BE HERE FOR EVER.

LONG LIVE THE AMERICAN PITBULL TERRIER.

At large my @rse.

My guess is the dog hasn't "run away".. but been spirited away to a safe place.

Ozziesnakes I hope Aleaha makes a full recovery.. but her mum should direct her anger at the dog's owner, not the dog.

Dogs are what owners make of them.

I don't think some people realise that the dog can still be declared a dangerous dog, even in the dogs absence from the owners property. Once that occurs, if the animal is found roaming, shows up at a pound or is found to be in breach of the DD restrictions, the full force of the law can be applied and the fines are very heavy.

There are also harsh penalties if an owner lies and says that the dog is dead and it is later found not to be the case.

every time there is a dog attack the papers blame the pittbulls or pig dogs, pig dogs are NOT bred for aggression, it is just when dumb stupid people get them they can make them vicious.

love pitbull & pig dogs

Gina

No.. there were 2 seperate attacks..

And.. regardless of breed, the dogs should be euthanased. Both were very serious attacks... the dogs ARE dangerous if they inflict that level of injury to a human.... these attacks weren't warnings from the dogs.. the dogs should be destroyed.... fine the owners, have them charged with owning a DD, throw the book at the irresponsible bastards....

But have those 2 dogs destroyed at the earliest time so they NEVER get the opportunity to injure anyone else.

Those poor little kids are going to be scarred for life and all half of you can harp about is the protection of the animals who attacked them... No wonder BSL is alive and well in this country when the very people meant to be protecting theses breeds behave like rednecks, crying out in support of 2 dogs who mauled 2 small children!

People are not "harping on" about "protecting the animals that attacked them". People know from experience that the times APBT's are INFACT involved in an attack on a human are rare, 9/10 times (atleast) our innocent breed is made the scapegoat.

Obviously as unfortunate as it is that the kids have been attacked supporting the APBT and casting doubt on the reporting of the breed involved doesnt take anything away from what happened. Accepting a bunch of bullsh*t reporting doesnt make you compassionate it makes you a fool. If you reject it doesnt mean you dont care about the people that where attacked.

Edited by Lo Pan

People are not "harping on" about "protecting the animals that attacked them". People know from experience that the times APBT's are INFACT involved in an attack on a human are rare, 9/10 times (atleast) our innocent breed is made the scapegoat.

Obviously as unfortunate as it is that the kids have been attacked supporting the APBT and casting doubt on the reporting of the breed involved doesnt take anything away from what happened. Accepting a bunch of bullsh*t reporting doesnt make you compassionate it makes you a fool. If you reject it doesnt mean you dont care about the people that where attacked.

Couldn't of sed it better my self, The media is a joke and lives of people who believe every word they say. these people are usually ignorant and don't have the ability to think for themselves.