Vicious Dog At Large.

tybrax

I dont know I havnt been to that location. If theres 50 times the amount of APBT's as anything else then it would stand to reason

Otherwise, Yes it is nonsense.

About equal to the report out of Brisbane (or the Gold Coast, dont recall) recently that blamed the Staffy for some outrageous number of attacks that totally by far and away dwarfed all other breeds.

Figures go by what people say and that is all.

So if in QLD there is some kind of Staffy frenzy going on at the moment then everyone runs around and labels everything a Staffy. They show up at the medical centre for stitches, "What breed was it" "A Staffy", and then thats it theres the mark against that breeds name its as simple as that, the facts are irrelevant.

So here Australia wide (except maybe QLD, maybe they have got some kind of new thing where they deny the existence of APBT's because of thier great laws, now its the Staffies turn) the frenzy is on the APBT, so when an attack happens, the people involved say "Pitbull".

However

This facts of this case probably do not involve a Pitbull at all so it doesnt matter.

Edited by Lo Pan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't underestimate the amount of damage irresponsible owners do to a breed's reputation. Unless people are willing to acknowledge that some breeds attract bad owners and that yes, these bad owners can be the cause of their dog being aggressive the war will not be won.

I agree with PF, dress them up in silly costumes, emphasise that well bred dogs with good owners aren't the problem, and stop denying that there are problems with the dog/owner diad that means some of these dogs do bite humans. Imagine how ridiculous it would sound if people made claims that chihuahuas, cattle dogs and labradores never ever bit people. All dogs and breeds are capable of biting in the right circumstances, so if people drop the emotional hero worship of a breed that is just another dog you might find the fight easier to win.

Haha. I remember once I started a thread about a man walking a pitbull-looking dog who was smirking as his dog lunged and barked. I was shot down in flames because how could I possibly know it was a pitbull! :)

Yeh real funny.

Like the women who's dog got attacked down the beach the other month. I pass her as shes leaving and she says her dog was attacked by a Pitbull. Got down there and said to the guy thats a Bull Arab, he says yeh ...

Nonetheless, Another one for the Pitty.

Had this dog attacked yours, you would have been doing the same thing as her, saying it was a Pitbull, because you think you know something and you dont care if you hurt our breeds reputation in the process.

Yeh real funny.

Like the women who's dog got attacked down the beach the other month. I pass her as shes leaving and she says her dog was attacked by a Pitbull. Got down there and said to the guy thats a Bull Arab, he says yeh ...

Had this dog attacked yours, you would have been doing the same thing as her, saying it was a Pitbull, because you think you know something and you dont care if you hurt our breeds reputation in the process.

I'm not sure you have gotten the point. It was the owner that identified the dog as a pitbull, not the victims. In your case it was the victim, this is different.

Lo Pan, believe it or not, there are some people other than pitbull owners who do know what a pitbull looks like. I think I am one of them. My own dog WAS attacked by a pitbull 2 years ago - I posted about it at the time, but did not mention the breed. Don't claim to know what I am thinking or what I care about.

I don't want to see any breeds banned but I am sick of the PB people refusing to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe a pitbull HAS attacked a dog/person before and maybe just maybe, in this case, a PB was involved.

I dont know I havnt been to that location. If theres 50 times the amount of APBT's as anything else then it would stand to reason

Otherwise, Yes it is nonsense.

This facts of this case probably do not involve a Pitbull at all so it doesnt matter.

The location in this instance was The United States and Canada so easy enough to get figures on popular breeds. For example here. Hard to dismiss as nonsense without more information.

Obviously there will be some statistical correlation between breed prevalence and injury incidence however this is not an argument I would be trying to run with in politics

eg. there are lots of breed x hence there are lots of attacks from breed x

a solution that stands out would be

less of breed x = less attacks from breed x

I think being realistic about the temperament, behaviour and physical capability of different breeds of dogs will lead to more reasoned discussion and better more sustainable solutions.

Absolutely. I have no doubt that the PB is a wonderful dog - IN THE RIGHT HANDS. But these dogs unfortunately attract some absolute moron owners who think its cool to have a tough dog, so they rough it up and encourage it to attack other dogs, growl at people, etc. and eventually it leads to disaster. The breed is a big, powerful dog so when they do end up aggressive, the results can be horrific. So how do you stop that? The only answer I can see is tighter regulations on pet ownership. Perhaps to own a PB you need to have 5 years of responsible dog ownership? And you must attend obedience and have it desexed, etc. Something along those lines anyway.

Lo Pan, believe it or not, there are some people other than pitbull owners who do know what a pitbull looks like. I think I am one of them.

Yeh sure you are. That women thought the same thing as do all the other lunchbox experts in Australia.

My own dog WAS attacked by a pitbull 2 years ago

Because you say so ? Another one of your breed id's or did a council officer tell you what breed it was.

I cant speak for what anyone else does but personally I do accept that APBT's can and have attacked people ofcourse. If you read my posts you will see that.

Im mearly expressing doubt over this article because USUALLY are not involved in these attacks, breed misidentifcation and media sensationalising is usually at play.

I think the problem around this place is one person says something then everyone else copies without knowing the facts, how ironic.

Now are you all reading an article different to the ones I have read, because I have not seen where the owner has verified his dog is an APBT.

Yeh real funny.

All you're doing is making your breed look worse.

I've been involved in rescue for over 6 years now. I know my dog breeds. Amazing, huh?

And no actually, the owner told me what breed it was. After he had managed to beat his 10 month old "puppy" off my poor dog. His dog slipped its collar to race down the path and attack my on-lead dog. My dog didn't even have time to respond. I don't trust PB's after that, but I am smart enough to understand that its not the breed at fault.

Edited by Kirty

Now are you all reading an article different to the ones I have read, because I have not seen where the owner has verified his dog is an APBT.

The police spoke to the owner, they couldn't have made any attempt at IDing the dog as he had already removed it. Do you think the police just decided to say it was a pitbull, even though they hadn't seen the dog at all? Where do you think they go the breed from? Go back and read it again.

I think being realistic about the temperament, behaviour and physical capability of different breeds of dogs will lead to more reasoned discussion and better more sustainable solutions.

I am. Realistically, most APBT's are less potentially human aggressive than most other breeds given that they have historically been selectively bred to be docile toward humans.

The police spoke to the owner, they couldn't have made any attempt at IDing the dog as he had already removed it. Do you think the police just decided to say it was a pitbull, even though they hadn't seen the dog at all? Where do you think they go the breed from? Go back and read it again.

"Could have" "Couldn't have" "Do I think".

Assumptions and lack of facts. One guy says "In reality it was a restricted breed" based on could have's and maybe's, then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.

Poodlefan, im not closing my mind, im doing the opposite.

Edited by Lo Pan

Poodlefan, im not closing my mind, im doing the opposite.

Au contraire. You're automatically assuming that a pit bull wouldn't attack someone. Wrong. All dogs can bite. I have a dog that looks like a teddy bear but I don't assume he is one.

Conveniently skipped my post, hey? :hug:

I am. Realistically, most APBT's are less potentially human aggressive than most other breeds given that they have historically been selectively bred to be docile toward humans.

Most RESPONSIBLE breeders breed dogs like you have described. However, the breeders that these idiots source their dogs from are more than likely NOT responsible. Who knows what traits they are breeding for?