Dalmatian

Troy

Congratulations!

My lad is 11.5 and he’s just run his last Agility Nationals. He looks fab and is quite the puppy still. I may do some Rally with him as he’s a bit bored I suspect! Smart dogs!

I prefer to do off leash runs with him at the forest and the park rather than too many kms trotting on leash. They will trot forever but I prefer to let him exercise at his own pace - run, walk, sniff, pee :laugh: I also feed several supplements, one of which is for his joints. 

Are you aware of the need to feed a low purine diet?

Very smart dogs! My cupboards are now kept locked. :laugh:

Agility at 11.5 is amazing. My boy is only off lead in enclosed areas, in other areas I use a long line so he has some freedom to stop and sniff etc.

Yes, he is fed a low purine diet. He's getting a curcumin supplement and has just started on meloxicam for spondylosis. I have some other supplements but need to check that they are low purine. Are there any supplements recommended for dallies?

• Like 1

Not specifically for Dalmatians but I feed all my dogs a probiotic (Blackmores PAWS) and 4-cyte for joints. 

He sounds lovely! You should post a photo :)

My Ziggy is the only Agility Champion Dalmatian in Australia so he’s done very well for his breed and his breeder. And yes I’m super proud and love him to bits. He was a shit of a teenager though because I didn’t have the training skills I have now :laugh: 

19 hours ago, kayla1 said:

Not sure if anyone looks at this thread anymore, but I'm wondering about dalmatian activity level as they get older. I've recently taken on an older rescue dalmatian who seems very active for his age. His previous owner said he was 14 yrs, and microchip details indicate 13 yrs. He is happy to trot for a few kms each day (I speed walk to keep up with him) and is lively when out and about, and because of this he is constantly mistaken for a puppy and even vets are surprised with his age. 

I understand from reading about dallies that they are a highly active breed. I'm wondering if it usually continues into old age or if they ever slow down? At least he is keeping me fit. :laugh:

They are a very active breed!  Our family had a Dalmatian, "Marmaduke" who was stronger than you could believe! He had a particular dislike for the postman. On one particularly unfortunate day, Marmaduke was outside, chained to his metal house which in turn was staked into the ground. There was a horrendous noise and we look outside to see Marm running down the street pulling the dog house and all of the metal stakes!

I'd say yours has a few good years left - hope the two of you enjoy them!

TSD, you must be proud! Do many dalmatians do agility? Actually I was just reading the other day that they are one of the fastest dog breeds.

Here is my boy...

5b6101554541b_Domino111.thumb.jpg.1ee233ec770c80ab3ad558cf4e6b6fe6.jpg

Edited by kayla1
typo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PetMom4Life said:

They are a very active breed!  Our family had a Dalmatian, "Marmaduke" who was stronger than you could believe! He had a particular dislike for the postman. On one particularly unfortunate day, Marmaduke was outside, chained to his metal house which in turn was staked into the ground. There was a horrendous noise and we look outside to see Marm running down the street pulling the dog house and all of the metal stakes!

I'd say yours has a few good years left - hope the two of you enjoy them!

They do seem to be quite determined when they decide they want something!! Actually I was surprised how strong my boy is too, considering he is only 25kg. 

He looks lovely and in great nick for his age! There are a couple of Dals doing agility but more doing obedience, tracking and lure coursing. Zig is 26kg and is very powerful. The trick is to make them think it’s their idea. I use food and tug in my training. He’s so funny - offers perfect heel position when I’ve trained the girls and not him. We’ve done obedience and the ET as well. 

This is him:

http://thornfield.com.au/dog.asp?dog=93673

Great photos!!

Yes he's in really good shape and has improved a lot since he's been here. Though he is getting a hemangiosarcoma on his abdomen removed tomorrow, which I understand is not uncommon in the breed. 

I had no idea how intelligent dalmatians are - I haven't met many and always imagined them as the clowns, but wow what an incredible memory! And I don't know if this is a breed trait, but Domino is close to bomb proof with other dogs and people.  

Does Ziggy do the dalmatian smile?

Zig is amazing with kids and adults and cats and horses and any female dog. Most male dogs hate his guts on sight so I’ve got to be careful. He’s entire and has always been a target even when doing his own thing. If I can step in he will ignore an attacking dog but if I can’t defend him he will deck the dog calmly and then ask if we can start working again. Phenomenal stuff. 

They are clowns but are WAY too smart for the average dog owner :) 

My old boy never gave up running and chasing rabbits everyday until his hips finally gave way at 14.and we had to let him go.

He did sleep more, but he lived for his walks, head down sniffing out bunnies , checking in with me.

i lost him 2 years ago and think about him everyday and wish i had him back, he was the best dog i ever owned.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was brilliant with other dogs and people too. I used to foster dogs and Appollo always showed the new pups the way, he was a great judge of a dog, a few times on walks he stood behind me when a strange dog approached and i knew the dog must be dodgy. His recall was perfect, he had the softest velvet ears and the biggest knowing eyes. they do feel the cold as they get older as their coat isn't that thick so a good coat is a good idea and keep his bed up off the floor and out of drafts. He was on Mobic for the last 2 years which helped with his stiffness too. i have never met another nice dally , they seem to be a bit snippy and weedy looking too.

Thanks for the tip. He mostly chooses to sleep on the couch but will occasionally sleep in one of the dog beds (carpet underneath), and he certainly likes his blankie when he's having a nap! He loves to sunbake but I've been advised against too much of that since he had the hemangiosarcoma removed. 

When he arrived his coat was very coarse and he was shedding constantly, but that seems to have eased off a bit now and his coat is softer. Those little white hairs stick to everything. :laugh:

• 4 months later...

Well Domino enjoyed his first christmas here. I don't take my other dogs to see Santa as they wouldn't enjoy it, but as Domino is so sociable he got to meet Santa and loved it.

He's using his voice more now and has quite the vocabulary. :laugh:  Mainly various excitement squeals. He was never walked in his previous home so he's really enjoying the regular outings. 

It's very fortunate that he's here to enjoy it. Dalmatian rescue recommended to the previous owner that he be pts...fortunately the previous owner didn't do this and instead contacted the rescue group that saved him. 

Here he is meeting Santa...

5c26f905675b1_DominoSanta.thumb.jpg.32a573548248e094f1553f70c6d0da6d.jpg