Flucort Domoso Roll On For Dogs

We used it short term on one of our working kelpies who had pulled a muscle in her quads. It worked ok a bit like dencorub for humans. We used it on and off and only when she was working for about 6 months there was no long term effects for her.

I always keep one in my doggy first aid box and one in my show box. I have used it on a short term basis with no problems when my dog has pulled a muscle. Its great as it is an anti-inflamatory as well as a pain killer.

You can buy it at any saddlery as it can also be used on horses so I hope your vet didn't charge you a fortune for it.

It is just the same as us using denco rub or voltarin.

Hope your dogs okay

Edited to add that I just noticed in your first post that you say its a gel, whereas the one I buy is in a roll on form.

Edited by rijbiz

I was told that these sorts of things don't really do much for dogs because they don't have sweat glands as we do and as horses do, over their bodies. Consequently the 'goodness' of the ointments doesn't absorb. Made sense to me at the time but I confess to being uncertain of the validity of it. Have thought that perhaps it is the actual act of rubbing (which you do when applying) that helps rather than the product itself ?? I don't know either way - just something I was informed by a dog chiro.

Would be interesting to know, though.

ETA: Come to think of it, if the chiro was right then the 'spot-on' applications that so many use on their dogs shouldn't be able to absorb to the dog's blood stream. So I am thinking the chiro is wrong?

Edited by Erny

I was told that these sorts of things don't really do much for dogs because they don't have sweat glands as we do and as horses do, over their bodies. Consequently the 'goodness' of the ointments doesn't absorb. Made sense to me at the time but I confess to being uncertain of the validity of it. Have thought that perhaps it is the actual act of rubbing (which you do when applying) that helps rather than the product itself ?? I don't know either way - just something I was informed by a dog chiro.

Would be interesting to know, though.

ETA: Come to think of it, if the chiro was right then the 'spot-on' applications that so many use on their dogs shouldn't be able to absorb to the dog's blood stream. So I am thinking the chiro is wrong?

Hi Ernie, all I can tell you that I was introduced to it by another exhibitor at a dog show when Cleo suddenly developed a really bad limp in her back leg and was obviously in pain. After the application she was able to move much freer and actually jumped into the back of my Station Wagon which she couldn't do without help prior to the application.

I was so relieved with the magic it worked that I went to the saddlery the next day and bought a couple which I have kept in my "boxes" ever since. I have had to use it once more (again at a show) and again seemed to get an immediate improvement, so personally I think it works IMHO.

Cheers Denise

I was told that these sorts of things don't really do much for dogs because they don't have sweat glands as we do and as horses do, over their bodies.

The difference with DMSO, as I understand it, is that it is more readily and easily absorbed into the skin and doesn't rely on sweat glands as a route for absorption - this is something our dog chiro told us about quite a few years ago, so I can't remember the specifics, sorry :laugh:

Aaaaahhh .... thank you Allerzeit. If that is correct then it clears up my confusion about what I was told and would also, I expect, be the answer as to why spot-ons absorb through the skin.

Ta.

:D

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

I went to a vet who also does chiropractic work today and i bought it from him...$59.00 :laugh: I don't mind the money if it works. I'll keep in mind that you can buy it at a saddlery.

My girl has HD and sometimes walks with a funny gait and consequently has a sore lower back. Chasing possums doesn't help :D

She seems a little more freer since this morning. He said to put it on twice a day for 2 days and once a day for 3 days and go back and see him.

He also did some laser work on her-tha actual consult was $49.00 which I thought was reasonable.

If I remember correctly... the DMSO is the agent that carries the active drug (cortisone) into the body. I think DMSO has mild anti-inflammatory properties as well.

If you put DMSO on the palm of your hand, them smoosh some banana on it, you can TASTE the banana. Cool, but of no use to the OP..... sorry :D

I know it works well on shin-sore 2 year old racehorses... but it swabs positive.... (sorry again...)

If I remember correctly... the DMSO is the agent that carries the active drug (cortisone) into the body. I think DMSO has mild anti-inflammatory properties as well.

If you put DMSO on the palm of your hand, them smoosh some banana on it, you can TASTE the banana.

Oooooh ..... that'd be great for those who might be on diets but miss the taste sensations of those 'bad for diets' foods!! :D

That does sound like a cool exercise in exploratory science :laugh:.

It is great stuff!

Can give them breathe that smells like garlic though!

DMSO is very rapidly absorbed through the skin in horses and dogs. I have used it mainly on horses for bowed tendons and back soreness. I have never seen it in the saddlers over here, but will look as my Clydie mare could do with some.

Exiflam Gel is also the same sort of ingredients but much stronger and only available via prescription - or at least it was.

It is a potent anti inflammatory and pain killer.

I have never seen it in the saddlers over here, but will look as my Clydie mare could do with some.

Sorry Rommimum, I bought mine whilst still in Sydney and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you can't get it here in WA.

Could try the internet??

Cheers Denise

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

I went to a vet who also does chiropractic work today and i bought it from him...$59.00 :laugh: I don't mind the money if it works. I'll keep in mind that you can buy it at a saddlery.

My girl has HD and sometimes walks with a funny gait and consequently has a sore lower back. Chasing possums doesn't help :)

She seems a little more freer since this morning. He said to put it on twice a day for 2 days and once a day for 3 days and go back and see him.

He also did some laser work on her-tha actual consult was $49.00 which I thought was reasonable.

Cost price to the vet is around $20.

If you put DMSO on the palm of your hand, them smoosh some banana on it, you can TASTE the banana.

Oooooh ..... that'd be great for those who might be on diets but miss the taste sensations of those 'bad for diets' foods!! :)

Now I LOVE this idea! I could just see myself smooshing chocolate onto my DMSO covered hand :laugh: