Boston Terrier

Troy

We have a 14 month old intact male Boston purebred. We want to breed with him only for the purpose of getting him a friend before we get him desexed. Can anyone suggest how we might go about this? We don't want to show him - we just know how difficult it is to get puppies!

Thanks!

We have a 14 month old intact male Boston purebred. We want to breed with him only for the purpose of getting him a friend before we get him desexed. Can anyone suggest how we might go about this? We don't want to show him - we just know how difficult it is to get puppies!

Thanks!

Probably best to speak to the breeder you bought him from, and have him assessed as to whether he's good enough to breed from. He needs to be on the main register, then find out what health tests are required and get them done.

Probably best to speak to the breeder you bought him from, and have him assessed as to whether he's good enough to breed from. He needs to be on the main register, then find out what health tests are required and get them done.

Thanks Gayle :heart: He's already on the main register. The breeder is interstate, so do you think I could call a local breeder? Do they normally allow "newbies" to go near their girls?! Given we don't want to show him, I'm wondering if this is even a done thing?

Still speak to his breeder, she will be the best one to guide you as to a potential mate for him and might be able to put you in touch with a suitable breeder. Because Bostons aren't at all common in Australia I would assume the gene pool here is still fairly small so you'd need to be very careful who he's mated with.

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask the breeders and showers how they went about getting their first Boston. I eventually would love to show and do agility with one but I am wondering how many Breeders are open to newbies of the breed buying Main registered dogs. At the moment I own 2 young staffies, one I show and one on limited reg that I have titles in Agility for. I wont be getting a boston until my 2 are much older but I have started researching the breed and the lines that are in Australia. I am heading up to the sydney specialty show to meet with breeders and check out the bostons. Hopefully this is a step that a breeder will acknowledge. I am keen to find a breeder that can be my mentor and work closely with over the lifetime of my puppy. I am open to the option of part owner ship to get me up and running. I would love to here your thoughts on this. :)

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask the breeders and showers how they went about getting their first Boston. I eventually would love to show and do agility with one but I am wondering how many Breeders are open to newbies of the breed buying Main registered dogs. At the moment I own 2 young staffies, one I show and one on limited reg that I have titles in Agility for. I wont be getting a boston until my 2 are much older but I have started researching the breed and the lines that are in Australia. I am heading up to the sydney specialty show to meet with breeders and check out the bostons. Hopefully this is a step that a breeder will acknowledge. I am keen to find a breeder that can be my mentor and work closely with over the lifetime of my puppy. I am open to the option of part owner ship to get me up and running. I would love to here your thoughts on this. :)

Sorry meant to say hear :)

• 1 year later...

Any other Boston owners out there?!

We brought our gorgeous little guy, Archie, home on Monday and we already love him to pieces. He is hilarious and so gorgeous. Such a little character!

Would love to chat with other Boston owners and share pics of our little ones :)

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up to see if anybody can help me out.

I am looking for a Boston Terrier after the loss of my soul mate back in January. Life is just not the same without a Boston in my life.

Now here's the catch, I am not after puppy. I would prefer a retired adult. I would just not prefer the high energy of a puppy.

I am a vet nurse and live on acreage with horses, sheep, chickens and spectacular views. I am also a registered breeder of birman cats, so the new Boston

in my life must be good with cats. My dogs are house dogs, very much part of the family and even sleep in my bed with me if they choose. I have

previously shown dogs so would be happy to continue this if the right Boston came along for the breeder. My dogs are fed on premium foods

and are spoilt rotten. I also foster for a rescue group occasionally, normally ex puppy farm dogs, so it would be nice for these fosters to have

another confident small dog to play with when they come here.

I have contacted many breeders in the past 6 months enquiring about retired adults without success. Hoping by posting here it might

broaden my chances. I do understand letting adults go can be tough so I'm more than happy to provide references and anything the breeder

may require. My Boston Terrier was rescued from a Puppy Farm (yes, he was a purebred) so I understand the need to be extra cautious with rehoming.

I am located in Victoria.

Thank you and hopefully somebody may be able to help me out and mend my shattered heart. :)

• 1 year later...

Two unfortunately common Boston health problems should be mentioned.

1. Hemivertebrae (spinal problems): can be very serious. Avoid dogs with a screw tail.

2. Inability to whelp naturally. A UK survey found more than 80% of Boston litters are delivered by Cesarian . . . they are apparently THE WORST breed in this respect.

The US Boston terrier club says that there are 20 eye problems to look out for in the breed ... and there are also skin problems (including dermodex) are common.