Licking Frenzy

This is what happens with my dog, and I was wondering if this happens to all dogs, and if I could be doing anything better to help?

It's happened about 5 times in 2 years.

Randomly he starts going on a licking frenzy around the house. He licks the floors, wall, floor, furniture and anything he can get to. He won't stop if I call him and I have to literally drag him away from what he's licking. If I take him outside he goes crazy eating grass and then vomits.

Today this happened, but after vomiting he kept eating grass. I thought he wasn't finished and might want to vomit again. But he settled after a while and stopped eating the grass and didn't vomit again. Then inside the house he started doing the licking frenzy again. So I took him back outside and decided to try to give him some lectic soda (is that what it's called? It's whatever the vet nurses told me to give to help him vomit.) I was able to give him a little but not much, and he still hasn't vomited again.

I gave him his kong with vegemite inside it to lick instead of the floors, he wasn't very interested in it but he seems to have settled again now.

Do other dogs do this, and is there anything else I can do when this happens? The first time it happened I rushed him to the vet because I didn't know what it was and he had vomited around 5 times, but he was acting normal by the time we got to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with him.

Edited by Baby Dragon

:hug: it sounds as if he is having a bad attack of nausea for some reason... I wouldn't be giving the soda ,unless you know he has eaten something nasty....

You could try ginger tablets.. or even better.. a couple of drops of the ESSENTIAL oil smeared on his fur around his chest/neck..so he can get the benefit of the scent...Rescue remedy also may help.

Maybe keep a diary of when and where and all that- it could be something he is treated with, or eats, or something else entirely..poor boy.

Of course he won't stop.. he is feeling wretched, and his instincts tell him to eat grass/herbs... .

Nausea is a horrible ,horrible feeling,as you know...and while humans can understand that it will pass..and what is happening- dogs can't..and just feel awful :)

What puggypuggy said is interesting,too..and worth thinking about.

Hopefully it won't happen again for a long time :)

Thank you for the advice, I didn't have any ginger essential oil handy but I'll keep it in mind for next time, he was ok overnight and seems back to normal today :D

He's chewing on his paw a lot now though :laugh: I've checked it thoroughly and couldn't find anything, so I've put some anti itch stuff on it from the vet and he's wearing a sock on his foot.

Edited by Baby Dragon

Licking erratically means that you dog is suffering bad Nausea as Persephone said. Poor lil Tike. Cant help with remedies sorry. Hope he feels better soon. If the vomiting continues though I would be calling my Vet or paying them a visit if they are open.

Is there anything happening around about? Weed spraying/building next door...have you cleaned carpets..does he have access to drinking shower/toilet water after you clean? Has he had any ointment/drug/spot on applied that you can remember?

Was his food the same? Did anyone give him something different/fatty as a treat?

No, nothing. I'm very careful about everything like that, he hadn't had any treatments, his food has been the same, there were no weird detergents or anything used in the house, he can't get to any shower water etc. The only thing I can think of is he licked a wall or door or the floor and he may have got dirt or furr or something like that on his tongue. When he was in the licking frenzy I pulled some furr out of his mouth, but I don't know if that was the cause of it or if he got that because he was licking.

He's totally fine now. Maybe I just need to vacuum more often to make sure he can't get furr and stuff? The cats are shedding and it gets everywhere.

Edited by Baby Dragon