Different Food Experiance

SeeGee

Hi all,

Am pretty new to all this, but wanted to ask for some assistance!

We have been pro planning our little beagle (as per the instructions when we picked him up). He eats his puppy pro plan, doesnt chow down into it, sorta grazes for an hour or so but does definitly normally finish his food.

Today, I had some left over plain beef and boiled vegetables (no seasonings whatsoever). I chopped it up quite small and mixed it in with maybe 2 table spoons of pro plan (dont know why, I think I have heard you are meant to add to together?) He wolfed down that food faster than I could blink. I have never ever seen him eat like that before. I guess Im concerned. Should I be feeding him real human food more often? I feel so overwhelmed when it comes to feeding that I dont really know what should work.......

He is a happy little pup - I am working on uploading some shots to share. We just think he is so beautiful and love him to pieces!

Thanks in advance,

Jacqui

Looking forward to pics :) I guess the ProPlan is kind of like giving us a salad and then next time a super dooper ice cream sundae. It's fine for him to have more than just the ProPlan but you don't want him to grow up fussy. I'm not sure a beagle could :hug::) Best to get him in a routine of having his meals down for about 15 minutes and then take up whatever he has left. He will soon learn to eat his meals rather than graze. You'll find heaps of posts regarding different foods if you look through this forum.

been slowwwwwly reading into the raw food thing.........

have heard about the technique of taking the food away, will do further reading then perhaps start implementing it.

Thanks to you both for responding!

Jacqui

I feed raw myself, but there are lots of things you can add to your pups diet when they are on raw food.

Raw meaty bones like chicken wings, necks or frames; lamb necks/forequarters/off cuts; turkey wings and necks etc are all great for your pup especially for his teeth. When I fed dried food, I often fed one meal raw; then the next meal dried etc.

You could also consider getting some tins of sardines or mackeral and mixing this in with his dried food or feeding him a tin on its own. My dogs LOVE their tinned sardines/mackeral and it's great for their coats.

Raw egg and natural yoghurt are also great to mix into their dried food.

And most importantly, we need pics!! Baby beagles make me so puppy clucky :hug:

ETA: I'd be giving him 15 minutes max to eat his food and if he doesn't eat it within that time (i.e. walks away from his food bowl) I'd take it away until the next meal.

Edited by huski

I love baby beagles, was oohing and aahing over them at a show today :hug:

Does he just get dry food?

I use a combination - Eagle Pack dry but always with either a chicken frame, tin of sardines, egg, little grated cheese or something like brisket bones.

Looking forward to pics :)