Pain When Passing A Poo

pcarr

hi, my puppy has just done a poo, and halfway through her motion, she let out an almight yelp, and began running around yelping and rubbing her bottom, i could see some poo hanging, and had to grab her and pull the rest out, i thought it might be a stick or plastic (she is only 5 months old)

this is the 4th time she has done this over a the past few months,

should i be worried?? or does this stuff happen on occassions

I don't think it is normal. I would try to determine what she has been eating which may be making her constipated. Did the dropping have bone in it, or perhaps stick. Does she chew on sticks or other matter that may be causing the consistency of her dropping to become difficult to pass? Some puppies eat rocks etc. Sounds awful but you might need to fossick through the poo and see what's in it.

That's your answer. I would try to channel her into chewing something a bit more benign than sticks. If she is passing larger sticks through the bowel you may run the risk of the bowel being pierced and/or colitis developing. See if you can get her onto a large marrow bone or something else in the place of sticks.