When Its Time...

rubyred

I was just wondering, has anyone ever asked their vet to come to their home to put their dog to 'sleep' when it was time - and were they receptive to the idea?

I have to start thinking of things like that and she is so terrified of the vet rooms that she starts doing the 'shakin' dog' dance even before she gets carried through the door. It would mean a horrible last 10 minutes for her. I'd love it if vet was able to come to us. I haven't asked yet - we are only 5 minutes drive from there so it's not as if it's a long way? Has anyone ever done that? Thanks very much :thumbsup:

Thanks very much - I just didn't want to ask until I had to. It would be much kinder to her - and to myself. Would we then call a Pets in Peace or someone like that for cremation? This is my first time that I have to do this and am unsure ...

If you want her cremated I would imagine the vet would be able to take her away for you so the people could collect her from the vets. Or perhaps you could deliver her to the vets when you want to a little later.

Not meaning to upset you but AFAIK most cremation places don't collect daily so they need to be 'stored'.

I had a similar situation nearly a year ago but took her to the vet and the vet came out to the car, she loved the car so was happy there. He left me alone for a little while then came took her away as she was being cremated too.

Edited by Sandra777

Rubyred

I feel for you and send hugs, I am sure the vet will come to your home, vets are amazing people and are there for the animals and us humans more than we know. I can only speak as to what I have done. My dogs have passed to the bridge as in Heart attack and had to be PTS at vets when I wasnt there, both dogs I had cremated, I took them to the crematorium myself as I thought I owed it to them, like our last drive in the car. This was my way of dealing with the fact I was not there for them.

It took me ages to find the right container that was them, in fact 2 years! Having the courage and unselfishness to give your pet its wings is the most heroic thing one can do for a pet and a real act of love that truly shows the love one has for their pet rather than themselves.

Hugs

J

I was just wondering, has anyone ever asked their vet to come to their home to put their dog to 'sleep' when it was time - and were they receptive to the idea?

I have to start thinking of things like that and she is so terrified of the vet rooms that she starts doing the 'shakin' dog' dance even before she gets carried through the door. It would mean a horrible last 10 minutes for her. I'd love it if vet was able to come to us. I haven't asked yet - we are only 5 minutes drive from there so it's not as if it's a long way? Has anyone ever done that? Thanks very much :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

My vet came to the house for my old dally boy. I was able to curl up in his bed with him like he always loved, and cuddle and talk to him as he went to sleep for the last time. So he went out feeling happy, loved and relaxed in familiar surrounds. The last thing I would have wanted would be to stress him, so doing it at home in his own bed was the most gentle send-off as I could give him.

The vet took him out wrapped in a blanket and Pets at Peace collected him from the surgery for cremation.

Wow, 9 years later and it still brings tears...

I can highly recommend Pets at Peace - especially the service in Canberra.

I called up to say that my dog had passed, he came over within 2 hours to collect her. Chloe was treated with respect and dignity, from someone she never knew. He asked me if I needed more time to say goodbye, I managed to hold back the tears until the guy from pets at peace walked out my gate with her in the box and he whispered 'c'mon little chloe'.

I really feel for you... I have just gone through this with one of my babies... Our vet actually offered to come to our house, but with three other dogs here I didn't want that... Plus our old boy was so calm all of the time and didnt mind the vets office at all... We did take him in in his bed (he couldnt stand and I didnt want him on the vets table) but our vet offered for us to all go outside and sit under a tree and do it there... So we all sat under a tree in the lovely back yard and had Elroy in his bed eating treats until I snuggled him in my arms to say the final goodbye.

I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this... I know the pain all too well. :)

My last dog was PTS at home and I am so glad I made the choice to do it here, where she was comfortable and at ease. It's such a hard time, and I felt very reassured by our vet, who was so kind and gave us all the time we needed. When her final breath was taken, it was so peaceful (although I was grief stricken). I know it helped ease some of the hurt, so please ask your vet to come to you if this is what you would prefer. .. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to start thinking of things like that and she is so terrified of the vet rooms that she starts doing the 'shakin' dog' dance even before she gets carried through the door. It would mean a horrible last 10 minutes for her. I'd love it if vet was able to come to us. I haven't asked yet - we are only 5 minutes drive from there so it's not as if it's a long way? Has anyone ever done that? Thanks very much :laugh:

I recently got my darling dog put down at home by our regular vet. I didnt want to use our vet as I was already upset with him for giving the wrong diagnosis but I had trouble finding another one to do it.

I really didnt want to take my darling to the vet as he hated the place and he knew it meant pain and put the brakes on as soon as I got him out of the car. I thought at least at home it would be less stressful for both of us.

When the vet came out he wanted to check him over and I said no leave him, I dont want the last thing to be in pain with the vet. So I patted him and cuddled him while the vet gave him his needle. We put him back in his bed and then I went to bed to cry for the rest of the day till hubby got home and buried him.

I really didnt know how I would cope with losing my best friend, we spent every moment together, but I have a new darling pup who I love so much and he has filled my broken heart.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad you have had so many responses telling you that vets will come to your home and organise the cremation and everything for you, so it is good to read such positive posts. I just wanted to add to be sure that the vet is accompanied by a vet nurse, so you don't have to do anything but concentrate on cuddling and comforting your girl. If your girl is nervous of vets, she may pick up the smell on the vet and things like that.

Once when I had to take one of my dogs to the vets to go to god, I asked if we could go out in the courtyard and afterwards I just say there for ages, cuddling Gong Zhu.

Pretty well 99% of vets are there for us and our pets.

My sympathies for you at this difficult time.

The vet came out to put one of our dogs down 2yrs ago & he was great, I'm stressing real bad at the moment because I might have to make the decision again today :champagne:. Hoping the vet will give JC antibiotics or something & she'll be fine, I'll know in about an hour so Rubyred I really feel for you.

• 2 months later...