Can Notorious Dog Breeds Like Pit Bulls Live Safely With Children?

tybrax

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/sunrise/31...us-dogs/?page=1

Can notorious dog breeds like pit bulls live safely with children?

Debate has been reignited after the second savage attack in Victoria this week. Yesterday a woman was bitten while rescuing her cat from two dogs. And on Sunday a toddler was mauled by a pit bull.

The RSPCA says pit bulls can live with children if they are trained, supervised and from a reputable breeder. Their policy is outlined on their website, however in general they say dogs should not be declared dangerous on the basis of breed, but on the basis of behaviour.

There are five breeds on the federal government's list of dogs that can no longer be imported. The ones that are already here must be desexed.

Argentinean fighting dogs

Japanese fighting dogs

Brazillian fighting dogs

American Pit Bulls

Presa Canarios (pictured)

Kidsafe Victoria says the latest statistics for Victoria are from 2007 for dog attack victims. They show there were 1,628 hospital cases, 482 admissions and one death, which was a child.

Should dangerous dogs be allowed around children, and should dangerous dogs that attack people be destroyed? Have your say below...

tybrax

"and from a reputable breeder"

How can they say from a reputable breeder when they DON'T want them being bred? just stupid

why not drop the ban and encourage American pitbulls to be bred by a standard and have registered breeders.

Good point APBT, typical RSPCA comment.

I do hope this ridiculous legislation gets sorted soon one way or the other. The people need to be registered and not the dog.

By the way is that your dog in the pic, I want those ears they look like Xolo ears!

J

How can they say from a reputable breeder when they DON'T want them being bred? just stupid

why not drop the ban and encourage American pitbulls to be bred by a standard and have registered breeders.

Should dangerous dogs be allowed around children, and should dangerous dogs that attack people be destroyed? Have your say below...

Of course "dangerous" dogs don't belong around children or in the community full stop.

If you already have a dog that's been declared "danergous" and it attacks anything, the dog should be destroyed and the owner be punished with the full weight of the law.

There are some very hefty fines and jail terms that can be handed down, it's about time they were used.

Guest rhapsodical78

Of course "dangerous" dogs don't belong around children or in the community full stop.

If you already have a dog that's been declared "danergous" and it attacks anything, the dog should be destroyed and the owner be punished with the full weight of the law.

There are some very hefty fines and jail terms that can be handed down, it's about time they were used.

I really think it depends how one defines 'dangerous'. If they're defining particular breeds as 'dangerous' based on breeds alone, then it kind of changes the question.

Good point APBT, typical RSPCA comment.

I do hope this ridiculous legislation gets sorted soon one way or the other. The people need to be registered and not the dog.

By the way is that your dog in the pic, I want those ears they look like Xolo ears!

J

haha yer her ears only go like that sometimes, usually there rose.

Reputable as in ok I gather BUT never mind the reputable bit its ILLEGAL to have an undesexed APBT as according to all state laws they were supposed to be desexed ??

I often wonder how here in WA there are APBT puppies available when the "Law" states they must all be desexed. I am a supporter of all dogs are equal just some are more equal than others and no breed is dangerous, its down to an individula dog rather than a whole breed.

There is only one loop hole and that may have been closed now, that was importation of semen, a few years back I called customs and there was no laws to ban the importation of semen, may have changed now though!!

J

How can you get a APBT from a reputable breeder when they aren't even a registered breed?

The RSPCA says pit bulls can live with children if they are trained, supervised and from a reputable breeder. Their policy is outlined on their website, however in general they say dogs should not be declared dangerous on the basis of breed, but on the basis of behaviour.

"the website" highlighted in blue above, links to this page:

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-a-dangerous-dog_71.html

And nowhere on that page does it mention "from a reputable breeder".

and a search of the RSCPA website doesn't list any such statement about reputable breeders and pit bulls.

What atrocious reporting.

I don't suppose anyone checked.

Edited by Luke W