Deerhound

Troy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weeeeeeell looks like I am going to be the proud owner of a Deerrhound puppy! :crossfingers: :rolleyes: :confused: So excited! I pick him up next week. Am going to call him Erik. Will post pix when I get them THANKYOU so much to Jacobite Kennels!! :confused::) :D

Oh my.. what an absolute cutie!! Erik is a great name, congratulations and don't forget we'll need lots of pictures when you get him home, he will grow like a weed and he'll be huge before you know it. I swear we would go shopping for an hour and our boy would look bigger when we got home. :dropjaw:

:) Our deerhound boy was my introduction to showing too. At our first show when he was about 7 months, we made it to group (him being the only one there :eek: ) and he lay down twice when waiting in the line up and had a little nap, he then proceeded to chew the lead all through our turn and the judge just laughed and said "he'll get there".

They certainly aren't the most animated performers but hey that's why we love them!!

We took Erik ( and Islay, the bitch we are keeping ) to a show to-day, not entered, just for a look round. They were very good.

Erik is " OK " on the lead.... their first show on the 27th will be interesting..... Chaos, but in a nice way.

2 sleeps to go for you RB..... unless we decide to keep him of course.....

ONLY JOKING.... I bet we'd have the Friesan Mafia round to have a quiet talk to us.... :eek:

Dave

Cool! Glad they went ok, he'll have lots of lead training with me, we have geese in a lake just down the road that I'm sure he'll love to meet :rofl: You'll have to teach me how they are supposeed to stand in the ring too, as I'm sure it's different to dobes :) And yeah you wouldn't want to mess with the Friesian Mafia........................ :):laugh:

Well I have Erik home! :laugh::o Was a bit sick in the car on the way and is still feeling a bit sorry for himself. He's pulled up a piece of carpet and is fast asleep (totally ignored the large crate with the doona in it for him :hug: ) Absolutely loving him so far! Thanks so much to Pam and Dave at Jacobite

DSCF1194.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well didn't get any photo's :laugh: But Erik won best baby puppy (think that's what it was?! I am such a noob to showing!) He was sooooo good, except for wanting to jump on every dogs head :laugh::) Then took him to see horses on the way home and now he's pooped and sleeping on the couch! He's awesome :cry:

WOW your deerhound pics are gorgeous - what a lovely breed

Thanks for this thread full of such great information.

Our Present

We're not ready for a new dog yet but we love all the sighthound breeds so the beautiful deerhound is an option for us down the track. We miss our Kipper heaps - she was a huge labradoodle (not what we thought we were looking for) rescued from The lost dogs home. She was 5 years old.

A bit about our doggie history

My partner are in our mid 40s, both work, have a large (suburban) back yard and stay in most nights. We walked our dog daily and let her romp around in off-lead parks at least twice a week (day or evening) and maybe head to the dog beach or go visiting friends (both human and doggy) on weekends. She slept in a custom built kennel (she prefered the master bed and was occassionally found in there) sheltered from rain, was groomed and bathed at home and professionally clipped when needed. Kipper was fed good quality dry food and was trained with treats and rewarded with love, affection and companionship. She hated being alone while we were working and would have a lamb bone or pigs ear or treat filled kong while we were out. I've previously owned x breed medium/small dogs a male australian terrier who died naturally at 21, a medium x breed pound puppy (49 variety) female who died vet assisted at 19, a medium female poodle (lost, found and adopted by us with pups on board) who died vet assisted at 16, her crazy mix female pup who looked like a miniature wolfhound who died naturally at 17 and a small x breed female terrier who died naturally at 17. My partner's family have owned a female doberman who was re-homed to a larger yard and room to run and chase, a female collie and a male puli who died at 16. Dogs are in our blood and it doesn't feel right to not have one in our lives.

Next Steps

Looking to the future we're carefully investigating what breed is right for us now. We'd ideally love a large, quiet, clever, obedient, trainable, loving, gentle girl. I prefer a non shedder (not imperative) and a not too smelly dog (not imperative) as I love to lie with them on the floor for snuggles and play. My partner loves to run around and play chasey and hide and seek with them. We have much love to give to our next one. Nothing against breeders at all but we'd both prefer a rescue dog/s and happy to adopt an older animal as compared to a puppy and will adapt a x breed if it's the right dog. When it's the right dog you just know.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Yes, an adult will happily snooze all day!!

Questions

With the view to point 8. above a further question is

• Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods for FIVE days in a row?

Other Questions

• Is a deerhound/sighthound the right breed for us?
  • What are (if any) the benefits of having two dogs (I'd like) :laugh: compared to one (he'd like). :laugh:
  • Any further recommendations or advice will be greatly received.

Thanks Kipper's Mum (always)

Dana

• 4 weeks later...

OK damn youse all!!! :()

Here we go looking at all the pretty Erik pix and then we go to the mail box and GUESS WHAT ?! I get my deerhound club mag and GUESS WHAT?!! my favourite breeder has a litter and GUESS WHAT?!! when I ring her she has a boy left and GUESS WHAT?!! Watch this space for pix of Nelungaloo Rhys. Coming in October to my place. :mad

• 2 weeks later...