German Shepherd Dog

Troy

I thought the long coat (or long stock coat) was now allowed in the standard? at least in Germany? (or perhaps it was being considered?) I prefer the look of the long stock coat - and look forward to when they are showable here, even tho both mine are snipped. I love the GSD in all their forms and colours - but i'll only ever own longcoats.

Can't comment re what's "allowed" in the standard, or where...but my afterthought is that as a fellow long-coat GSD owner all I know is that in this breed I own the perfect combination of beauty and brains. I can't imagine life without her because she's even more beautiful on the inside than she is to look at. KitKat - I can understand your liking for long-coats...for me the coat adds an extra element of elegance to what's already a stunning animal.

post-31989-1265528187_thumb.jpg

post-31989-1265528218_thumb.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just where are these North American dogs in Australia. To my knowledge, there is only one kennel that springs to mind that has American/Canadian lines here?

Guess you don't have your finger on the pulse of things as much as you beleive? :laugh:

Are these dogs with American or German lines you are talking about?
Primarily german pedigrees with these faulty toplines.
Was this in Australia?
Yes the show was in Australia, Victoria to be specific.
Did you ever consider that possibly people that import something just a little bit different to what is currently in this country actually like the style that they are bringing in? There may not be any sinister or ulterior motives for their decision? Not everyone plans their import purchases on future puppy sales.

Everyone has their own tastes in any breed however people do very much promote the word 'import' and yes, it very much features in their marketing as well as their attempts to discredit other breeders. (this is not second hand news, but what we get daily from phone calls from prospective buyers)

So I guess you could say a shepherd is a shepherd regardless of country of origin?
Yes but unfortunately the general public is being misled (in my opinion) that only breeders using imported stock are considered higher quality.
Never did I say it was wrong to own a dog that didn't conform to the standard! The original poster was apparantly amazed that people could own or import dogs of American origin and clearly (in his/her opinion) not adhering to the standard, yet could own a dog themselves that is unable to be shown here due to its coat fault. Again, each to their

own.

You have just reiterated that you do consider someone that owns a dog with a fault to be not qualified to comment on the breed overall.

Just where are these North American dogs in Australia. To my knowledge, there is only one kennel that springs to mind that has American/Canadian lines here?

Guess you don't have your finger on the pulse of things as much as you beleive? :)

I wasn't asking for your opinion on what I did or didn't know, just where these North American lines are in Australia.

As I am obviously interested in these lines, I would be keen to connect with others that have the same interest.

Was this in Australia?
Yes the show was in Australia, Victoria to be specific.

Guess the owners of the dog were lucky you weren't judging!

Did you ever consider that possibly people that import something just a little bit different to what is currently in this country actually like the style that they are bringing in? There may not be any sinister or ulterior motives for their decision? Not everyone plans their import purchases on future puppy sales.

Everyone has their own tastes in any breed however people do very much promote the word 'import' and yes, it very much features in their marketing as well as their attempts to discredit other breeders. (this is not second hand news, but what we get daily from phone calls from prospective buyers)

So when you advertise, I assume you leave the IMP off your dogs names?

So I guess you could say a shepherd is a shepherd regardless of country of origin?
Yes but unfortunately the general public is being misled (in my opinion) that only breeders using imported stock are considered higher quality.

Please don't tar every breeder with the same brush. Of course there are breeders that discredit others, this is not isolated to people that own imports or German Shepherds for that matter

Never did I say it was wrong to own a dog that didn't conform to the standard! The original poster was apparantly amazed that people could own or import dogs of American origin and clearly (in his/her opinion) not adhering to the standard, yet could own a dog themselves that is unable to be shown here due to its coat fault. Again, each to their

own.

You have just reiterated that you do consider someone that owns a dog with a fault to be not qualified to comment on the breed overall.

Not really sure how you work that out. I don't recall questioning her right to an opinion or comment, just the hint of double standard in her original comment

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
'kezziahgsd' date='11th Feb 2010 - 06:00 PM' post='4324547'

own.

Not really sure how you work that out. I don't recall questioning her right to an opinion or comment, just the hint of double standard in her original comment

I don't understand either why anyone would go to the expense and difficulty of importing an American showline of extreme angulation that is unlikely to be popular for any worthwhile purpose. I can't see American lines winning at shows or used for a working purpose superior to what we are breeding here. My faulty coated boy wasn't purchased for breeding or showing but neither would I go to the expence and trouble of importing a faulty dog as an ideal exercise.

own.

I don't understand either why anyone would go to the expense and difficulty of importing an American showline of extreme angulation that is unlikely to be popular for any worthwhile purpose. I can't see American lines winning at shows or used for a working purpose superior to what we are breeding here. My faulty coated boy wasn't purchased for breeding or showing but neither would I go to the expence and trouble of importing a faulty dog as an ideal exercise.

So, because a dog is imported from America it is faulty? Not every American dog is over angulated, just as not every dog of German origin is perfect! Both have their good points and maybe, just maybe their good points can compliment each other. It gets on my goat when people generalise about 'types', whatever they are, German, American, English, Working, whatever, they will pick out the most extreme example and bag the crap out of the 'type' as a whole. Of course there are extreme examples, you can find them in any breed in any country. Oh and just FYI dogs of American lines can and do win here.

own.

So, because a dog is imported from America it is faulty? Not every American dog is over angulated, just as not every dog of German origin is perfect! Both have their good points and maybe, just maybe their good points can compliment each other. It gets on my goat when people generalise about 'types', whatever they are, German, American, English, Working, whatever, they will pick out the most extreme example and bag the crap out of the 'type' as a whole. Of course there are extreme examples, you can find them in any breed in any country. Oh and just FYI dogs of American lines can and do win here.

That's what I said, why would anyone import an "extreme example"???.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Grey' date='30th Dec 2009 - 08:10 AM' post='4220798'

I would like to thank those that responded in a relevant and fitting way to this thread :) , however, as with Raz, if anyone i ever know asks about shepherds (and seeing my girl and how happy i am, a few do) i would never direct them here. Unfortunately, most threads where a question is asked regarding shepherds (anyone remember that almost informative thread re back slope months ago?) becomes a mud slinging match where those that are genuinely after information feel unwelcome and walk away with a bad taste in their mouth]

I, too, am new to this thread and was looking forward to some relevant information regarding specific training for owners of new GSD puppies. I almost did not come back but have decided to put my two cents worth in!

I am not a newcomer to the GSD breed - my current puppy is now 9mths old and is my 5th over a 40yr period - however, with each new puppy comes a new set of challenges. I have gained CDX with two of my previous dogs but have owned GSD's simply for the pleasure of owning them - not the kudos of winning obedience/show/trialling comps.

I read an article not too long ago that stated that 80% of GSD puppies were sold to "pet" homes so how about some positive reinforcement for those that don't care how their dogs stack up against the "show" dogs but maybe need some encouragement to get their best friends to portray the breed as the fantastic all-rounder it can be.

Edited by Skye GSD

'Skye GSD' date='18th May 2010 - 03:50 PM' post='4541529']

I, too, am new to this thread and was looking forward to some relevant information regarding specific training for owners of new GSD puppies. I almost did not come back but have decided to put my two cents worth in!

I am not a newcomer to the GSD breed - my current puppy is now 9mths old and is my 5th over a 40yr period - however, with each new puppy comes a new set of challenges. I have gained CDX with two of my previous dogs but have owned GSD's simply for the pleasure of owning them - not the kudos of winning obedience/show/trialling comps.

I read an article not too long ago that stated that 80% of GSD puppies were sold to "pet" homes so how about some positive reinforcement for those that don't care how their dogs stack up against the "show" dogs but maybe need some encouragement to get their best friends to portray the breed as the fantastic all-rounder it can be.

Your raise an excellent point Skye GSD, but the problem that seems to exist in discussion of our breed is that the GSD being an all-rounder and working breed is that they cover a broad spectrum of different temperments, dispositions, drive levels and traits. Too many people think the way their GSD behaves is right which seems to create the slinging matches that evolve unfortunately, and would be a great idea for this to resolve and mount constructive discussions about the breed. :laugh:

Thanks Black Bronson - no two GSD's are the same and each requires some adaptation of training methods to achieve the desired result. It would be nice to have the thread used for specific training challenges that we all face as GSD owners so we do not feel quite so alone (or stupid!) when we see others having had the same challenge and how they got over it.

For instance, I have a very determined, stubborn pup that is neither food nor toy driven in a class situation. Flat collars are now the only choice for training sessions and it is getting to the stage where she has almost pulled me off my feet trying to play with the others in class. Apart from feeling like a complete failure as a handler, I have almost walked out of the training area as I feel she is a disruption to others.

Almost in tears after last week's effort , my trainer came over and gave me words of encouragement - she too had experienced the same problems ten years ago and was told by her trainer to persevere (how to fast-forward a year, please).

I might add that Skye is an angel to train at home and walks well on lead but distractions are fatal.

She has been socialized with puppy classes and other dogs since day dot (this seems to be a pre-requirement now) and I am beginning to wonder if this is how she sees all training classes - as one big play group!!

Sorry! have moved this to the Breed Sub Forum where I should have been!!

Edited by Skye GSD

• 3 weeks later...

sorry - i did the reply wrong.

reply below

P.S.

I cannot work out how to make a forum thread-

So, I have replied to this thread about German Shepherds.

Hope that's OK

Edited by hobals

Hi

I hope I've done this right- This is my first time here ( on this site & in these forums )

I have a German Shepherd called Maddie.

She's 11 years old and isn't well. We bought a puppy, Anna ( Annastacia) who is now approx 12 weeks old. Both from a good, Reputable breeder. ( good German Shepherd breeder - no backyard nutter - These people have been in business for years & have a good reputation )

Here's the problem

Maddie was starting to slow down - we assumed old age. ( for 11 - she seemed 15 ) Anna comes along & Maddie's got a " new lease of life" and is great but that quickly went when Anna was biting ( not nipping- actually biting- hard ) while Maddie's trying to wee or just sit- and these bites are hard- not little nips. Now, This is my 4th Shepherd

Bess never even nipped ( got her when she was 2 ) -Then we got these dogs as puppies :

Antoinette NEVER nipped- Maddie nipped - Anna bites.

Bess & Antoinette were put down when they were Bess @ 17 and Antoinette 15 & 3/4 ( almost 16 - maybe over 16, cannot remember exact age ) - Both from Old age.

Bess was a rescued dog & the other 3 are from same breeder.

They had & do have beautiful temprements & except Anna who is only 12 weeks old ( and impossible to say - yet - as she's only a puppy )

They have NEVER biten anyone - great with kids- adults etc and just loving & wonderful dogs.

Bess was a cross breed Shepherd and was just a sweetie - she'd lick you to death.

Antoinette was "threatening" to strangers who tried to enter the house when no one around ( as she should )

She once, bailed someone up against a wall- never laid a tooth on her and kept her there until someone came ( in answer to her barking)

This fool dragged a brick over- stood on it- leaned over the fence & then put her hand over & undid the lock of the gate-

a Gate with DO NOT ENTER- DOG in red writing & white background-

this was AFTER being told not to enter that way- but to enter another way-

Even with fools- Antoinette never bit anyone and was just protecting the place. She kept her in a spot and barked until we came to see why.

I mention all of this- as Maddie is my 3rd Shepherd & Anna will be my 4th. and I'm no "babes in the woods" - type of thing - when it comes to German Shepherd dogs. - I've also had Daschund, Golden Labrador (2) and a Golden retriever - these when I was a child & growing up- as an adult I've had Shepherds

I'm intending on joining the GSDL - to take Anna out & get her proper excerise & training. - hopefully help stop the biting.

My mother is 87 this year and Annas biten her too many times-( IMO ) Drawn blood so many times - and for no real reason- lying there - then all of a sudden just bites. I don't think Anna understands what she's doing

I put her outside for 10 mins - when she's calmed down I go out- make her sit and THEN let her back in-

If anyone has ideas- I am VERY open to them & would love some suggestions

she has chew toys- bones- chew things- she's eating well and growing too fast - IMO -

This maybe a biting reason- growing pains? ! Unsure but advise needed please :-)

The message is mainly for Maddie:

Since getting Anna- she seemed to have a new lease of life for a few days - which made me feel great- Maddie was feeling "young " again.

then went back to being "old" - and I mean REAL OLD - like a 15 year old dog

She starts shaking when she breathes in- and then out it seems to stop

we took her to the Vet & her tempreature was 41'- He gave her an anti biotic shot and told us to come back the next day

we came back- ThIS Vet is a YOUNG Female - and Maddies temp had gone down to 39.9' -

So, she put her on 10 days of anti biotic tablets Called : Clavulox 500mg.

2 a day for 10 days.

We take Maddie back & get the male Vet again -- Maddie still has temp of 39.8 and has lost 2.5kgs in 2 weeks.

We are practically force feeding her. She shakes and sometimes- all of a sudden her back legs just go beneath her.

She'd get soooooo excited by the word " Walk" or " Car" or " Park" -

She'd ALWAYS bark for ages when she heard the Postmans motorbike- ( everyone- neighbours included- knew when the postie was here ) as it came around the corner @ the top of the street until it was well out of ear shot and this was BOTH sides of the road.

She's not barking at that- not getting excited. ( she did the other day- maybe a couple of barks & that's it )

She isn't really leaving my room ( not much) and her fav. food doesn't help most of the times-

Last night- she ate & did well- cpmpared with what she's been eating.

The male Vet said we need to have blood & urine tests done to find out what the problem is-

So we waited for 1st thing in the morning- got the urine and after a 12 hour fast of no food ( water only) she had blood taken.

Again- by the female vet who wanted to do X-Rays & Ultra sound there & then ( ca -ching ? cash register ? )

We said that the male Vet said blood urine & see what they showed( we were under the impression this would have the answer)

I got the call- tests show Nothing except the white cell count is way off & they feel it's tumors & again said X-Ray & ultra sound

Now- one of my questions are - SURELY one would give an answer- Ultra sound ! ( this seems more likely to give an answer than an x-ray )

Is both necessary and what then if it is cancer?

I have a friend who just had their shepherd put down after months of painful stress for them- of massage therapy- ground up Apricot Kernels- Fresh Organic food and yet- after all this still the dog died & they had to watch this happening to their beloved animal.

I do NOT want my dog to suffer and I don'twant to spend 6 months keeping her alive if it means she's ill and unhappy all the time

I don't want a Vet doing tests - if all the tests are needless.

Surely- if they suspect something- then surely they must have one test available that can tell them these things

Maddies eyes are weepy- she shakes and has lost energy & appetite.

I'm hoping someone can advise me & give me some help- I wish to do what is right and also she hates the Vet- this upsets her greatly ( going there) she's been very healthy- besides this- so, 1 time a year she goes for her shots

I intend to get health insurance for Anna- but Maddie doesn't have it.

I have no idea what xrays cost or ultra sound either & an idea of what they should charge would help too

My friend is away but her hubby is giving me some Apricot oil -

we don't know what Maddie has- but above are her symptoms

ANY help- would be really appreciated

Thanks

Edited by hobals

Geez, just read your post. Sounds like you have two problems. Its terrible when they get old, I am currently nursing my 12.5 yo who is limping on her front leg. First of you have to sort out your young one from biting. If you don't do it now you are in for big trouble.

I,m sure someone will come on and give you tips on that, but I reckon its time to get tough.

Your older dog worries me, Maybe giving your older dog some space from the young one may help. Especially at wee times, keep them apart and don't let your young one bother her, if she is not well the last thing she needs is a younger one pestering her.

As for the ultra sound my last dog Carla had a mass on her chest, she,d lost weight and had a cough. She,d had blood tests, a needle biopsy which came back inconclusive and cost $800 (not to mention the trip to Canberra.) My local vet did the ultra sound, I was present and could see the mass on her chest and heart. Nobody would operate on her so I took her home and nursed her till she lost so much weight and stopped eating. It was very sad but I ended up having her pts. They thought it was lung cancer. The ultra sound was not expensive but it showed the large mass. If I remember she had a low white cell count.

Have you tried satin balls to tempt her appetite, I just wish I knew about them when Carla was sick or some Nutrigel from the vet.

Hi

I should have said- they aren't mixing

since the 1st day - we did 10mins etc - we WERE going to introduce bit by bit- walk them together etc

but- as Maddies been ill- we didn't want the puppy annoying her- and / or catching something !

Puppy is in my mums room and Maddie with me & hubby

we "had" a plan- walking them together but at the moment - they are being walked apart- we take Maddie for approx 1/3 km walk and then bring her home and take Anna ( pup) for a 1km walk - we are also teaching her to do the treadmill ( up to 6mins )

I do know that stopping the biting is important-

She's getting put outside for 10 mins - then she must calmly sit

THEN - she may come back inside

That seems to work ( until next time)

she was very VERY bad but has gotten so much better

It's a case of getting everyone to be "firm" and not give into that little whimper cry when she's in the naughty area ( outside)

I intend to get her to the GSDL - trainging ASAP

Maddies the one worrying & scaring me - My other dogs just got old and it was cruel to keep them alive ( the vet said )

Maddie- is only 11 this month

to me- she's like 15 - an old dog and it scares me

I am not asking for someone to say "no- it's not cancer" - as , I am prepared for the worse

I would love to hear if anyone knows of this in G/S and if they know what I should get - X-Ray or ultra sound or both

And - if the Vets ringing the cash register and there's no point in doing this - or not

I've never had a "sick " dog at this age- had my share of dogs running onto the road & getting hit b a car etc- so, have been there - but this is different

I cannot just get the leg fixed by the Vet- nurse her back to health type of thing

which is so upsetting

I will keep popping back to see if there's any replies

thanks for the above one- it's appreciated

if you have any biting tips- am happy to try them :-)

I think socialising with other dogs will be the best thing- I hope :-)

Thanks again

PS

Have you tried satin balls to tempt her appetite, I just wish I knew about them when Carla was sick or some Nutrigel from the vet.

What are satin balls ?

Maddie ate last night- really amazed us - but I'd love to know what this is please :-)

Edited by hobals

Hi

I should have said- they aren't mixing

since the 1st day - we did 10mins etc - we WERE going to introduce bit by bit- walk them together etc

but- as Maddies been ill- we didn't want the puppy annoying her- and / or catching something !

Puppy is in my mums room and Maddie with me & hubby

we "had" a plan- walking them together but at the moment - they are being walked apart- we take Maddie for approx 1/3 km walk and then bring her home and take Anna ( pup) for a 1km walk - we are also teaching her to do the treadmill ( up to 6mins )

I do know that stopping the biting is important-

She's getting put outside for 10 mins - then she must calmly sit

THEN - she may come back inside

That seems to work ( until next time)

she was very VERY bad but has gotten so much better

It's a case of getting everyone to be "firm" and not give into that little whimper cry when she's in the naughty area ( outside)

I intend to get her to the GSDL - trainging ASAP

Maddies the one worrying & scaring me - My other dogs just got old and it was cruel to keep them alive ( the vet said )

Maddie- is only 11 this month

to me- she's like 15 - an old dog and it scares me

I am not asking for someone to say "no- it's not cancer" - as , I am prepared for the worse

I would love to hear if anyone knows of this in G/S and if they know what I should get - X-Ray or ultra sound or both

And - if the Vets ringing the cash register and there's no point in doing this - or not

I've never had a "sick " dog at this age- had my share of dogs running onto the road & getting hit b a car etc- so, have been there - but this is different

I cannot just get the leg fixed by the Vet- nurse her back to health type of thing

which is so upsetting

I will keep popping back to see if there's any replies

thanks for the above one- it's appreciated

if you have any biting tips- am happy to try them :-)

I think socialising with other dogs will be the best thing- I hope :-)

Thanks again

PS

What are satin balls ?

Maddie ate last night- really amazed us - but I'd love to know what this is please :-)

I think you should move your questions to the G D discussion or H/N/G section, more experienced people than me there.

The Satin Balls recipes can be googled.

Edited by dianed

PS

What are satin balls ?

I think you should move your questions to the G D discussion or H/N/G section, more experienced people than me there.

The Satin Balls recipes can be googled.

Hi

Thanks

This is my 1st time on this site- I will try and find the forums you are talking about & see if I can do that

thanks

PS

I'm having trouble navigating this site- It's obviously me

Could you or anyone put the link up for these forums- so I ask in the right section please

Thanks

I cannot work out how to get from my profile to the forums- how to post a thread- just reply to this one

I picked this as I thought it was the ONLY German Shepherd thread

It took me days to work out how to repky to this !!!

( whatever day I joined- I tried that day- the next & whatever date reply #51 is- that's how long it took )

problem is- I am also unwell and part of my problem if brain fog- ( great name for it ) I just cannot think- which is making me crazy - as I have important things going on & my illness isn't helping- at all

Edited by hobals

Ok Hobals , at the top of this page it says

Dogz OnlineForum> Discussion Forums>

Push Discussion Forums and then scroll down and you will see Health /Nutrition/Grooming

Then you click on that and then you will see at the top New Topic I think it is and each time you want to see another section go back to that area Hope that this is OK. :laugh:

If you go to General Discussion at the top of that you will see BReed Forums I think it is and if you scroll down that you will find the GSD Thread :)

Good luck :)

Hobals, how are things going with Maddie now. The satin balls have a human grade mince base,cream cheese, peanut butter egg yolks and a few other goodies. They fatten up a dog quickly and make their coats very shiny.

Hi

Just letting all know about Maddie :-)

I went to a new Vet - I rang the breeder & was told that Maddies mum- had a cancer from giving the littler

Maddies desexed- and cannot get that cancer

He suggested a different Vet- I went there & turns out she has a Kidney Infection -

Urinary Tract Infection NOT cancer

That Vet got me to come back in 3 days to take the temp. again-

It went down from 39.8 ( the day I took to the new Vet ) last Wednesday

and yesterday was 38.4

She's on a course of anti-biotics for 3 weeks

He didn't charge for the 2nd visit - a Saturday & only charged for the medication on the 3rd visit ( yesterday)

He's such a GREAT Vet :-)

He didn't have a nice thing to say about the other Vet- He didn't say anything bad- but said this to me:

" When a Vet has a sick dog & that dog has good owners- who can answer questions - it's a lot easier to discover the problem . Without tests & X-rays - I could tell it was either a bladder infection or a Kidney infection. a few questions resolved the issue for me - Why all these tests ?" ( then he stopped talking )

I asked about her yearly shots and he said to give her a full month off medication first

Maddies so much better - it's amazing

she's been on the bed a few times now-( loves that- in winter- to sleep on top of the bed - at the bottom & squash my feet )

and even barked at the positie ! ( her fav. past-time - ha ha )

The 2nd opinion - was THE best thing - & I'm sticking with the new Vet-

He was so nice- came over & said hello toMaddie and had the temp done within seconds- before I knew it- or Maddie

Usually I have to hold her up - as she wants to sit etc

But- this guy was just GREAT & he was ever so kind & gentle

a real animal person

Have a great day & thanks

I hope everyone has a great week ahead

I've got bronchitis- so Maddie & myself are both taking anti-biotics- which isn't nice

But- at least we know & now can fix the problem

I wont be taking Maddie or Anna to the other Vet- ever again

I'm so pleased to have found this Vet- Our breeder was right- This Vets good

cheers & have a great day & week ahead

Edited by hobals

Hobals, Glad to hear Maddie is on the mend, looks like she will be back to her old self in no time. Sounds like she is in good hand with your new vet. Looks like we are in for some windy weather in the next few days so bed rest for both you :) .