German Shepherd Dog

Troy

I also disagree with this comment Angelsun, breeders can pick longcoats long before 6 weeks, I picked mine in my litter at under a week old.

Long coats aren't bred for, they just happen. The parents must each carry the gene and then it's a crap shoot. Two years ago, we had a litter with 10 pups and 4 of them were longcoats. It's hard to see them til they are about 6 weeks of age or so, so people sit back and wait to see if they will get one.

Actually Angelsun most breeders can tell which ones are long coat before or by the time pups are two weeks of age and some can tell while pups are still wet.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long coats aren't bred for, they just happen. The parents must each carry the gene and then it's a crap shoot. Two years ago, we had a litter with 10 pups and 4 of them were longcoats. It's hard to see them til they are about 6 weeks of age or so, so people sit back and wait to see if they will get one.

Actually Angelsun most breeders can tell which ones are long coat before or by the time pups are two weeks of age and some can tell while pups are still wet.

:thumbsup: that's right. The breeder of my girl correctly picked the long coats in her litter when they were two weeks of age

And I agree with lovemesideways - keep the arguments for another thread, this one is not the place

99.9% of the time you can pick the longcoats when they are just a couple of days old....with the remaining 1% by the time they are a week old . Where Angelsun gets 6 weeks old ????is beyond me? She doesn't know Shepherds at all !!!

Agree with you there :)

99.9% of the time you can pick the longcoats when they are just a couple of days old....with the remaining 1% by the time they are a week old . Where Angelsun gets 6 weeks old ????is beyond me? She doesn't know Shepherds at all !!!

Agree with you there :)

ugh what a pissing contest :rolleyes: considering 'Angelsun' has been involved in sheps for many yrs its a pretty rude statement. I know through the grapevine this discussion is far from ending.....

When someone make ridiculous statements encompassing a whole breed instead of individual animals they show trhey know nothing and have not taken it upon themselves to learn or perhaps take on information provided by others breeders, enthusiasts etc........

Many examples have been provided of quality animals and also agreed that excessive hindquarters are not sort nor bred for in the breed, but this information falls on deaf ears...

The famous saying "blame the deed not the breed" comes to mind, because this is exactly they sort of statement Angelsun is making....stereotyping the whole breed standard and current "correct" type because of a handful of individual animals...

Im not going to come in and post again as it will only go round in circles and achieves nothing. I know Angelsun will be back in the future though.

Sorry Pockets but i will have to agree to disagree with you, I personally don't believe the dogs shown in that video were 'correct'and nothing will ever convince me that they are, just the same as i will never convince anyone here that the 'type' of shepherd i hold dear is correct (other then 'angelsun')

I will leave gracefully as i know angelsun is bringing in the goods :laugh:

I will leave gracefully as i know angelsun is bringing in the goods :laugh:

Nobody here is interested in a one-off demonstration that denigrates the breed we love. Every thread that involves the German Shepherd gets hijacked. There are always other breeds to visit for those who don't like to see the breed prosper in the public eye, which is what this thread is designed for. Constructive comments would be a pleasant change.

For anyone interested in seeing some exceptional German Shepherd Dogs, the GSD National is being held in Newcastle, NSW.

National Schedule

What is interesting to note that here in Australia, GSD's have far less incidence of Hip and Elbow dysplasia than a lot of other breeds. Also the GSD breed average is lower than Golden Retreivers, Labradors etc.

Looking forward to seeing people who are interested in the breed attending the National.

Regards

FH

Reminds me of an article about educated opinions!!

Lou Donald has a very good article on the GSDCA website.

Remo looks stunning!

I have watched my girl on last years national dvd of her slow gait in slow motion. If anything shows up faults its slow motion. She looked stunning and I dont use that word very often, very sound and balanced on the move. She could gait all day!

Can we cease with the GSD politics and petty squabbling. Go somewhere else if you wish to do that.

Please treat this as an official warning that any one continuing to do this, will be automatically banned (and unlike last time, I will not let you back on the forum if this occurs).

Troy, sorry you feel that way. Personally, and I would say some of the others feel the same way, I don't see 'petty squabbling' or politics at all. SURELY people can have a discussion /debate , even a slightly warm (not heated) one without threats of being banned , kicked off all the time. You can kick me off if you like, as I rarely visit DOL these days anyway ....actually due to the fact I don't find it as fair , or you as fair minded as you used to be in the past......but then again the whole country is becoming less and less accepting/tolerant of freedom of speech and democracy in general....so its only natural I guess for that intolerance to flow over into every corner of our lives including the least important area ....forums and those who run them.

Sorry if that upsets you but as a still free , at least for the moment, Australian, its how I feel.....and I should be allowed to say that without threats of my membership going. But like I said, kick me off if you like...its neither here nor there for me really as I have only been a member for a short eight years.

cheers :)

Edited by Tapferhund

• 1 month later...

Troy, sorry you feel that way. Personally, and I would say some of the others feel the same way, I don't see 'petty squabbling' or politics at all. SURELY people can have a discussion /debate , even a slightly warm (not heated) one without threats of being banned , kicked off all the time. You can kick me off if you like, as I rarely visit DOL these days anyway ....actually due to the fact I don't find it as fair , or you as fair minded as you used to be in the past......but then again the whole country is becoming less and less accepting/tolerant of freedom of speech and democracy in general....so its only natural I guess for that intolerance to flow over into every corner of our lives including the least important area ....forums and those who run them.

Sorry if that upsets you but as a still free , at least for the moment, Australian, its how I feel.....and I should be allowed to say that without threats of my membership going. But like I said, kick me off if you like...its neither here nor there for me really as I have only been a member for a short eight years.

cheers :)

I agree with your comments about freedom of speech etc . as we have seen with the Wiiki Leaks saga, internet discussions are being monitored by ASIO/Federal Police and maybe this thread might be on their list of targets to be monitored Ha Ha.

Please everyone (including Angelsun) keep the thread positive as GSD's are a wonderful breed and to be involved with them is so rewarding.

If you want to see GSD's movement/ action just look at them working in Germany in the Hug Ha competitions . .They still today work with shepherds controlling stock in unfenced areas. These GSD's trot all day around a herd of up to 300 sheep to keep them in a confined area and at the end of the day they then herd the flock home arcoss roads, bridges and busy motorways. Off springs of these dogs are here in Australia and many compete in Speciality Shows, working trials and are just plain pets. So get of the GSD's backs.

Just arrived home from Grafton - What a weekend the Grafton Dog Obedience Club ran an Obedience/Rally O workshop with Jan Keilly and Judy Rogers. There were quite a few GSDs in attendance. It was the most informative workshop on dog behaviour and training. So if you GSD owners can attend a workshop with these two ladies do so you wont regret it. The Grafton Club catered for the group over four days and the food was out of this world. Congratulations well done Grafton Dog Obedience Club.

Come on GSD lovers about time you started posting (in a happy positive way - no negativity ) . I would love to hear about GSD's achievements in the last few months and if there are anyone has obtained their herding titiles this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Please see below the official notice sent to all GSD Clubs.

The GSDCA Executive together with the Newcastle & Hunter Region German Shepherd Dog, host club of 2012 National GSD Show & Trial (National) ask that you please convey to your members the following:

1. ALL Long Stock Coat (LSC) Classes are now offered at the National for registered LSC.

2. The closing date for entry has been extended by 1 week with ALL entries now closing on 25 April 2011.

3. Entry of LSC as with Stock Coats (SC) will ONLY be accepted if they have been registered on the Main register prior to close of entry: 25 April 2012.

4. There is an opportunity for registered LSC entered in the Open LSC Classes that is over 2 years of age and meets the criteria to be presented to the GSDCA National Breed Survey Scheme at the National. Please note the pre National Breed Survey will be held at 300 pm, Thursday 17 May, at the National venue. Application must be made to Secretary, N&HRGSDC by no later than 10 May 2012.

5. The Dog Judge will judge all LSC classes on Friday 18 May prior to judging Stock Coat (SC) Classes. (As per a recently passed 60 day motion)

6. All progeny (SC & LSC) of a sire will be included in Sires Progeny class provided the Sire meets the qualification to present a group at the National.

As per the notice FH posted above, the closing date for ALL entries has now been extended to 25th April.

If you don't waste any time, you will still be able to enter, including the Obedience.