German Shepherd Dog

Troy

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our son has a German Shepard and he normally take his boy for at least a half hour run.

But a lot of this is due to him being a copper, so I don't know if this is too much or just right.

I would think at least a half hour walk a doy might just cut it.

Angelnkids, i take my 7yr old and 9mnth old for an hr walk in the morning then we go to the dog park for an hr to hr half in the arvo's so my 9mnth old can run off her excess engery. lol Mine are spoilt though! I would think a minimum half hr walk every day is good. I always try to do an hr every morning as mine get restless otherwise.

Riddick, depending on how old your shep is this sounds good, the GSD is a working dog and need to get out for a good stretch or else they get a bit stir crazy. I know mine do! lol :)

• 4 months later...

I have a black german shepherd, she is the old style straight back. And she is my big baby. NO she doesnt compete in any shows or anything. But she is the best watch and home dog I have ever owned. She even likes my cat. I have no issues with this breed and my only concern is for the poor dogs that I have seen in some shows that can barely walk because they have been bred like this. I would much rather a working line shepherd.

It has been very interesting to read the comments for the arguements for and against the roach back. I am not a breeder, and do not show or do agility or any of the other competitions with this breed, but I know how happy and healthy my dog is and have seen other dogs younger than mine that have major walking issues and these are dogs that have come from breeders, show lines and are supposed to be "the best of the breed".

I am not trying to cause any arguments because there are some very passionate people on here. This is just my opinion.

I have a black german shepherd, she is the old style straight back. And she is my big baby. NO she doesnt compete in any shows or anything. But she is the best watch and home dog I have ever owned. She even likes my cat. I have no issues with this breed and my only concern is for the poor dogs that I have seen in some shows that can barely walk because they have been bred like this. I would much rather a working line shepherd.

It has been very interesting to read the comments for the arguements for and against the roach back. I am not a breeder, and do not show or do agility or any of the other competitions with this breed, but I know how happy and healthy my dog is and have seen other dogs younger than mine that have major walking issues and these are dogs that have come from breeders, show lines and are supposed to be "the best of the breed".

I am not trying to cause any arguments because there are some very passionate people on here. This is just my opinion.

Just because she is not in the show ring doesn't automatically make her a bad dog :) There are still plenty of old style and working line shepherds out there, just look at the police force and the RAAF. I know of many old style's who are still proper herding dogs and work on their owners farms :) My girl came from such parents. Can't wait to start agility training with her :) I haven't been to a show in while as they upset me too much.

I guess you have to remember that this is a forum for show people and show breeders and as such this is the type of shepherd that is supported here. Until what is awarded in the show ring changes the dogs that are sold via the clubs will remain the same.You have to watch yourself or you get into trouble with admin lol Just love your girl and remember that there will always be other dogs out there like her regardless of what wins in the ring :)

I have a black german shepherd, she is the old style straight back.

And she is my big baby.

NO she doesnt compete in any shows or anything.

But she is the best watch and home dog I have ever owned.

She even likes my cat.

I have no issues with this breed and my only concern is for the poor dogs that I have seen in some shows that can barely walk because they have been bred like this.

I would much rather a working line shepherd.

It has been very interesting to read the comments for the arguements for and against the roach back.

I am not a breeder, and do not show or do agility or any of the other competitions with this breed,

but I know how happy and healthy my dog is and have seen other dogs younger than mine that have major walking issues and these are dogs that have come from breeders, show lines and are supposed to be "the best of the breed".

Just because she is not in the show ring doesn't automatically make her a bad dog :)

There are still plenty of old style and working line shepherds out there, just look at the police force and the RAAF.

I know of many old style's who are still proper herding dogs and work on their owners farms :)

My girl came from such parents.

Can't wait to start agility training with her :)

I haven't been to a show in while as they upset me too much.

I guess you have to remember that this is a forum for show people and show breeders and as such this is the type of shepherd that is supported here.

Until what is awarded in the show ring changes the dogs that are sold via the clubs will remain the same.

You have to watch yourself or you get into trouble with admin lol

Just love your girl and remember that there will always be other dogs out there like her regardless of what wins in the ring :)

Interesting.

You could be heading for a separate breed classification.

It will be interesting to watch, although personally I'd like to see the fallen backs eradicated.

I couldn't imagine what other breeds would look like under the same conditions.

IMPO.

I guess you have to remember that this is a forum for show people and show breeders and as such this is the type of shepherd that is supported here.

The funny thing is, nothing in the GSD breed standards say that they shall be a show dog?. So how does a good show dog which is not required of the GSD by the breed standards be considered a good GSD when it doesn't have the instinctive traits to do what the breed standards require?

Temperament: The German Shepherd Dog must be even tempered, well balanced (with strong nerves), self assured, totally at ease (except when provoked) and good natured, as well as attentive and easy to train. He must possess courage, combativity and toughness in order to be suitable as a companion, guard, service, herding dog and Schutzhund.

A GSD breeder once told me that her dogs are not suitable for guarding but her lines had won multiple shows and were considered of type at the highest level?. I would have thought if they are not suitable for guarding when the breed standards says they shall they would then be duds, or am I missing something :confused:

Edited by m-sass

The funny thing is, nothing in the GSD breed standards say that they shall be a show dog?. So how does a good show dog which is not required of the GSD by the breed standards be considered a good GSD when it doesn't have the instinctive traits to do what the breed standards require?

Temperament: The German Shepherd Dog must be even tempered, well balanced (with strong nerves), self assured, totally at ease (except when provoked) and good natured, as well as attentive and easy to train. He must possess courage, combativity and toughness in order to be suitable as a companion, guard, service, herding dog and Schutzhund.

A GSD breeder once told me that her dogs are not suitable for guarding but her lines had won multiple shows and were considered of type at the highest level?. I would have thought if they are not suitable for guarding when the breed standards says they shall they would then be duds, or am I missing something :confused:

You're probably missing something. Many breeders make statements that their stock are not fit for guarding because they use it as a deterrent so they don't see their pups used as guard dogs at service stations and other areas where the true interests of the dogs are not served. Those breeders should be applauded for caring, not criticised for making the statement.

The funny thing is, nothing in the GSD breed standards say that they shall be a show dog?.

So how does a good show dog which is not required of the GSD by the breed standards be considered a good GSD when it doesn't have the instinctive traits to do what the breed standards require?

Temperament: The German Shepherd Dog must be even tempered, well balanced (with strong nerves), self assured, totally at ease (except when provoked) and good natured, as well as attentive and easy to train.

He must possess courage, combativity and toughness in order to be suitable as a companion, guard, service, herding dog and Schutzhund.

A GSD breeder once told me that her dogs are not suitable for guarding but her lines had won multiple shows and were considered of type at the highest level?.

I would have thought if they are not suitable for guarding when the breed standards says they shall they would then be duds, or am I missing something :confused:

You're probably missing something.

Many breeders make statements that their stock are not fit for guarding because they use it as a deterrent so they don't see their pups used as guard dogs at service stations and other areas where the true interests of the dogs are not served.

Those breeders should be applauded for caring, not criticised for making the statement.

I don't think you can have it both ways.

Aren't the 'property guardians' visited daily, fed, watered and generally cared for out of service?

Don't they work at night and after-hours?

They are not specifically livestock guardians, meaning they don't require the constant companionship of another animal's heartbeat.

They are suited to property protection for that reason.

I am sure some service station dogs are exceedingly well cared for.

It is up to the breeder to place the dog with a suitable home, but they cannot dictate what the dog will be used for.

IMO

The funny thing is, nothing in the GSD breed standards say that they shall be a show dog?.

So how does a good show dog which is not required of the GSD by the breed standards be considered a good GSD when it doesn't have the instinctive traits to do what the breed standards require?

Temperament: The German Shepherd Dog must be even tempered, well balanced (with strong nerves), self assured, totally at ease (except when provoked) and good natured, as well as attentive and easy to train.

He must possess courage, combativity and toughness in order to be suitable as a companion, guard, service, herding dog and Schutzhund.

A GSD breeder once told me that her dogs are not suitable for guarding but her lines had won multiple shows and were considered of type at the highest level?.

I would have thought if they are not suitable for guarding when the breed standards says they shall they would then be duds, or am I missing something :confused:

You're probably missing something.

Many breeders make statements that their stock are not fit for guarding because they use it as a deterrent so they don't see their pups used as guard dogs at service stations and other areas where the true interests of the dogs are not served.

Those breeders should be applauded for caring, not criticised for making the statement.

I don't think you can have it both ways.

Aren't the 'property guardians' visited daily, fed, watered and generally cared for out of service?

Don't they work at night and after-hours?

They are not specifically livestock guardians, meaning they don't require the constant companionship of another animal's heartbeat.

They are suited to property protection for that reason.

It is up to the breeder to place the dog with a suitable home, but they cannot dictate what the dog will be used for.

IMO

It appears that you have overlooked the fact that German Shepherds are not Maremmas by nature even though they are both used for guarding purposes. Unlike some Maremmas that are conditioned and raised with stock, they require attention and companionship, either with another dog, or with human company or at least require some meaningful human attention such as training and exercise. They are highly intelligent and are working dogs that dote on actively working, being trained, being useful and/or being a companion. They can become problematic when left to their own devices. Whilst some German Shepherds do adapt to being a property guardian with little interaction, in my opinion anyone who has a loving regard for the breed would not place one in a situation where it would only be (in your words) visited daily, fed, watered and cared for without regard to the other psychological needs.

I have said what I believe and I will not be drawn into an argument any further.

I guess that is why there is a split in some breeds between the showing version and the working version. If they are show dogs then they would probably be "of type at the highest level" for the show ring. Just because a dog wins in the conformation ring doesn't mean jack as far as working or guarding abilities are concerned, they may be good guard dogs or they may have no guarding instinct left at all. Hence again why there is a split between the work and show, they are bred for two very different things.

Tralee - I would like a separate classification but i can't see it happening anytime soon. In answer to your other question of what other breeds would look like if they were changed, well i can't give you a another dog breed but someone has done a horse lol

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/lets-do-to-horses-what-we-did-to.html

Tralee - I would like a separate classification but i can't see it happening anytime soon.

In answer to your other question of what other breeds would look like if they were changed, well i can't give you a another dog breed but someone has done a horse. lol

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/lets-do-to-horses-what-we-did-to.html

Thanks.

There seems to be a very active and lively debate about the merits of each 'type'

Interestingly, there is a very distinctive diffence betweent the show and working Maremma in Italy.

However, I think they have done it intelligently.

My comments about the breed being split was based on the observation that several other breeds do infact have separate classifications.

In particular, I was thinking of the Belgian Shepherds; Groenendael, Laekenois, Malanios and Tervueren.

The recent inclusion of Swiss White Shepherd Dog being a case in point.

You may end up with four branches of dog. Wooo Hooo

Edited by Tralee

• 1 month later...

I had a German Shepherd once. I noticed that she looked kind of different from her other fellow German Shepherd dogs. I know that they mostly look a like, but she looks different not in a bad way. I don't know why because her siblings all look alike. Also, I did notice that she was having blue skin. Is that even normal? Oh, and, she already died. It's been almost a year now.

I would never sell a puppy to be a guard dog, nothing to do with not being suitable for the work, its personal choice. My puppies are sold to family/single homes as pets.

A GSD is a loyal dog and will instinctively protect it's family and property.

A guard dog is usually used as stated, left at a property to guard etc. I do not put all my time, effort and money into breeding lovely sociable babies for them to be dumped

In a car lot or other factory.

I have to agree 100% with Pockets. I am having a litter in February, I haven't had a litter in about 8 years, this will be my 21st litter in 35 years.

I have never ever knowingly sold a puppy to become a guard dog, I have always sold to loving families, in that time I have had 3 dogs back 2 due to divorce and 1 due to her owners death.

For myself having seen the standard guard dogs have been kept in here in Sydney over the years there is no way I can justify to myself selling a puppy into those conditions. ie fleas, fly bitten ears, running eyes, open sores on elbows due to no bedding and emasciation!

IF a GSD is going to be used as a guard dog it as a breed was bred to work one on one with a handler not as a guard dog alone or with another dog. If you look at the dog breeds you will find that the Dobermann was the breed that was bred more along the lines of being able to work in a compound situation.