German Shepherd Dog

Troy

Just an observation from talking to breeders over the years, that most breeders that are passionate about their dogs would prefer that their dogs not be taken for guard dog roles. Not because they aren't suited or other reasons but rather some badly abused dogs in those roles being left day in day out with little care and attendance by companies and business owners. I think a well cared for GSD can do the job well if they are part of a household when they aren't on duty. As a GSD owner, GSD's love to be part of a unit and they thrive within it.

Thankfully most of us owners or breeders are passionate and love our dogs and that is why this question will be debated vigorously. :)

Oops! thought I was on the GSD general forum. Enjoy your debate.

Edited by best4koda

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to announce that my beautiful Durnstein Divine Miss M ET HIC AZ BSCl 1 has now been tested free of Degenerative Myelopathy (DM). Additional I have tested all 7 puppies in her litter sired by Yester vom Feuermelder and all 7 have tested clear.

For those of you that don't know Degenerative Myelopathy is the insidious disease which starts with dogs sometimes as young as 4-5 years dragging their hind feet and being unable to walk by the time these dogs are 6 -7 years of age.

I am hopeful that other breeders will start testing their breeding stock for this disease. At only $85.00 to test a dog, we can eradicate this disease in only 3 - 4 generations, as long as you mate clear to unclear and continue breeding clear to unclear.

Just to chime in on this topic - congrats on the DM Cear status for your bitch and puppies.

For those of you considering testing, I and many other Pembroke breeders have been successfully using the Vetnostic Lab in the USA. Turnaround time is very good given the distance (kits usually arrive within 10 days of ordering and results generally within 10 days of posting back AND very reasonable pricing.

http://www.vetnostic...epherd-dog.html

• 1 month later...

Well, I was owned by a Shepherd thirty plus years ago but he was kidnapped and shot by a lunatic. It has taken me this long to allow another Shepherd to adopt me. He is 18 weeks old so far, but he is beautiful and I love him to bits. I sometimes get sad when he looks at me, because it reminds me of my Storm, but I was expecting that. So far, he's been hilarious, infuriating, lovable and very kind. :-)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We have recently got a 2nd GSD. He is sooooo different to the first in personality! I grew up with spaniels and I loved them but looking back they were all really similar in personality. Not so with our GSDs.

GDS 1 is so gentle and CAREFUL. I gave him some cake in a box, he carefully opened the box with his teeth, then licked the cake, he has never barked/whined at us just stares really loudly.

GSD 2 stamps through the world, everything can be gone 'through', 'around' is not in his vocabulary. He stands all over GSD 1, will sit on your face... he barks to say hello, grumbles when he's hot, whines when he has to get up for a drink.

They do however both have the expected 'temperament' - confident, brave, smart, loyal, alert, cheerful.

We have recently got a 2nd GSD. He is sooooo different to the first in personality! I grew up with spaniels and I loved them but looking back they were all really similar in personality. Not so with our GSDs.

GDS 1 is so gentle and CAREFUL. I gave him some cake in a box, he carefully opened the box with his teeth, then licked the cake, he has never barked/whined at us just stares really loudly.

GSD 2 stamps through the world, everything can be gone 'through', 'around' is not in his vocabulary. He stands all over GSD 1, will sit on your face... he barks to say hello, grumbles when he's hot, whines when he has to get up for a drink.

They do however both have the expected 'temperament' - confident, brave, smart, loyal, alert, cheerful.

If you tested each dog in accordance with the German SV criteria, you will find one dog more complaint with the standard than the other. The quieter one although excellent in a pet role may not have enough drive to complete the required tests which accounts for massive personality and character differences across the breed. Compliant GSD's because of genetic drive are a bit of a handful untrained and take some work in raising to mould them into projecting the behaviour that you are seeking. :)

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

You're better asking in the other thread, it gets a lot more traffic. Are you looking for a working line? "Straight back" is most commonly seen in BYB advertisements imo, the show lines do not have as much of a slope as internet searches would lead you to believe.

Remember that pictures from shows have the dogs stacked. I remember being pleasantly surprised when I went to view my breeders adult dogs.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi everyone.

My partner and I are looking into getting what will be our first german shephard in the future.

We have done a lot of reasearch and looked at all the breeders on dogzonline. We are in Victoria so would prefer to get a pup from a breeder within our state so we can travel to visit the litter prior to deciding on a particular pup.

As we have exstisting pets we would need to ensure we bring in the right temperament to fit in with our other fur kids.

We are just after a pet, and prefer what is known as the old square type/ straight top line type, must be from a reputable breeder that does all genetic/health testing.

We have found the breeders known as 'Macklin shepards' and wondering what people opinions are of them? And if they are good at ensuring the right fit for our family is found? And what other breeders are there in Victoria that breed this style? I have attended a few dog shows and can't stand majority of the show line shephards you see in the ring, but I do know the straight backs aren't just bred into the working lines as I have seen the straight back in shows I just haven't been able to attend them way I used to so haven't been able to talk to these people myself.

Our current dogs attend regular obedience and agility training but dont trial as of yet so a dog that would suit this but wouldn't be high driven like the working line shephards would be ideal.

Look forward to hearing what people have to say :-)

If there is another thread this would be better suited to please let me know as I am new to this site.

Thanx in advance.

Edited by JessWE

JessWE - I would try the German Shepherd Dog Owners! thread which can be found in General Discussions - Breed sub forum. Lots of breeders in there who may be able to help you.

• 5 years later...