Teething And Swollen Gums....

Tilly

My poor little GSD baby is teething big time. He is just over 5 months and until a few days ago he was a little gummy. He had lost most of his baby teeth except a couple of small ones at the front and he had two nice new big teeth at the back of his mouth.

In the last 2 days he has some more teeth coming up but his gums are rather swollen around each new tooth - is this normal?

He is still eating fine and managing to devour his frozen chicken necks (he prefers cold food which I think helps with his gums).

He is getting a little bit clingy and sooky - and tried to suck on my fingers.

I took him to the vet this morning for his weigh-in and spoke to one of the girls ... and they didn't seem too concerned.

Is there anything I can do to help him? I don't want him in pain.

Edited by Tilly

he will have some discomfort, of course- that's natural :cry: Life is not pain free!

Try giving him larger things to chew- frozen turkey wings/necks--as chciken necks would be a bit small for him now, I think... the larger frozren things will stay that way a bit longer for gum relief :scold:

Make him iceblocks!

Water or saltless chicken stock

a few chunks of meat

a few bits of kibble

a few bits of fruit/cheese

put it all ina margarine container (or icecream container) freeze solid- tip out on grass or concrete- and leave him to it!

:hug:

He has got 5 teeth just poking through and another one which looks like it is about to break through. Poor baby had a bit of soft poos this morning and he seems a little off.

I went out this morning and got him some Bonjella ... and after he realised I wasn't trying to kill him I managed to get some on his gums.

I also have some blocks of frozen fish so I will chop them up and freeze them in an ice-cream container.

Poor pup. I didn't notice much discomfort with my girl, and she lost all her teeth fairly quickly. I manged to save some as well!

However, I did come home one day and discovered she had chewed along the edges of the coffee table >.<

With our previous GSD boy I barely noticed his teething and it was only then he bit my hand and left a tooth behind that I realised he had lost his baby teeth.

I was surprised to see the little boy one morning (after coming home from holidays) and discovering he had lost most of his teeth.

He seems a bit more comfortable tonight - and the worst of the swelling looks like it is going down. Hopefully he is over the worst of it ... but I will put some more Bonjella on before he goes to bed tonight.

I don't think he has many more teeth to come through ... might need to check how many he should have and how many he now has.