Bad Diarrhoea

stari

I took my pup for a walk down to the lake, and he went for a little paddle and drank a bit of water. Today, he is very lethargic, and has really bad diarrhoea. He ate a bit of dry food this morning, and hasn't been vomiting. He hasn't had much to dring. Does this sound like gastro, or something more serious? Should I get him to a vet, or just wait and see if he gets better?

He is normally very playful, but today he is just laying on the floor and sleeping, when he isn't going to the toilet.

Take him to the vet this afternoon. Puppies dehydrate very rapidly and he may need IV fluids. It may be parvo - early treatment may make the difference. Warn the vet nurse that you are bringing in a dog that may have Parvo virus so you don't sit in the waiting room with other dogs etc.

It could be something in the water, which would need to be treated by a vet i guess, since it is a young pup. A few adult dogs have died from drinking out of canberra lakes.... or it could be parvo... any blood in his poo? has he had his vaccinations?

Take him to the vet!!!!!

Don't muck around with it! Diarrohea in puppies can be very dangerous as it can dehydrate them very quickly.

I would say more than likely something in the water has made him sick and at that age he needs the proper medical attention as you do not want him to get any worse.

The shots won't help him if he has caught something in his stomach!

Edited by Ci

Please do not wait - if you have not already taken the pup to the vet do as soon as possible.

They dehydrate very quicklyin warn weather, especially if they are unwell. It is much better to be safe with pups.

I am no expert but I do believe that a pup can still pick up parvo even if it has had its shots...

Good luck

Jodie

my boy got the runs (or should i say sprays... :( ;) ;) ) when we had only had him a couple of weeks - i waited about 24 hours he was eating a little and still drinking plenty of water, not off coulour at all stil running around playing but the vet gave me a couple of tablets that cleared him up straight away - no probs but as above i wouldnt wait long with a pup dehydration is a major problem - its prob just gastro....but gastro can kill pups...

hope everything is ok by tomorrow..

Thanks for your help guys.

I just rang the vet, and he said to take him off all food for 24hrs, make sure he has plenty of water, and if he is no better by tomorrow, bring him in. He said it is unlikely to be parvo, because his poo would be black with blood, and there is hardly any of it this time of year. He said it is probably just a tummy upset from drinking the salty lake water.

I wont be letting him paddle in the lake again!!

Thanks for your help guys.

I just rang the vet, and he said to take him off all food for 24hrs, make sure he has plenty of water, and if he is no better by tomorrow, bring him in. He said it is unlikely to be parvo, because his poo would be black with blood, and there is hardly any of it this time of year. He said it is probably just a tummy upset from drinking the salty lake water.

I wont be letting him paddle in the lake again!!

Keep a close eye on him as the same happened to my pup ..... we went to a friends house and my pup is a Barf pup and he gulped a heap of dog bikkies and ended up being really sick. In the end it ended up being Parvo :( He is fine fit and healthy now and back to normal thankgod. I hope he is feeling better ;)

Well, its morning now, and seems to be back to his usual playful self. He still has a bit of diarrhoea, but it isn't as bad as it was yesterday. Im gonna try him on a bit of food soon - he has been looking for food all morning. Ive heard a bit of cornflour mixed in with some rice and mince is good for them, is this right?

For future reference Treating a pup or a dog with runny poos is no different to treating yourself or a child with the same problem . No food for at least 24 hours, some probiotics [You can get these from a chemist or health food store and keep them in the fridge ], These replace the bad flora causing the symptoms with good stuff and you can add some apple cidar vinegar or a little staminade or similar to keep up the electrolytes to help prevent dehydration . You dont want to introduce solid food again especially food with roughage until the symptoms are gone and when you do you want bland food such as cooked chicken and yoghurt for about 24 hours . Corn flour is good for the trots as well.

Even if it turns out to be something more sinister these things wont do any harm .

Glad all is ok, staffies with dioreah omg, its full on isnt it!!! Jinta get the runs sometimes, but it usually clears up pretty quick, as a pup she had the same thing , and I was given same advise as You got. Use that advise whenever they get the runs..or sprays.. :hug:

Thanks, guys.

I gave him some boiled chicken with rice and cornflour yesterday, and he wolfed that down. I also got some yoghurt and apple cider vinegar to add to his food, and he loves it. He seems to be fine now - no diarrhoea last night, so I think it was just a little tummy upset.

It is amazing how much you can worry about a dog, isn't it :hug: