Cairn Terrier

Troy

The Cairn Terrier

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=8 )

Group: Group 2 (Terriers)

General Appearance: Agile, alert, of workmanlike, natural appearance. Standing well forward on forepaws. Strong quarters. Deep in rib, very free in movement. Weather-resistant coat.

Characteristics: Should impress as being active, game and hardy.

Temperament: Fearless and gay disposition; assertive but not aggressive.

Head And Skull: Head small, but in proportion to body. Skull broad; a decided indentation between the eyes with a definite stop. Muzzle powerful, jaw strong but not long or heavy. Nose black. Head well furnished.

Eyes: Wide apart, medium in size, dark hazel. Slightly sunk with shaggy eyebrows.

Ears: Small, pointed, well carried and erect, not too closely set nor heavily coated.

Mouth: Large teeth. Jaws strong with perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck: Well set on, not short.

Forequarters: Sloping shoulders, medium length of leg, good but not too heavy bone. Forelegs never out at elbow. Legs covered with harsh hair.

Body: Back level, medium length. Well sprung deep ribs; strong supple loin.

Hindquarters: Very strong muscular thighs. Good, but not excessive, bend of stifle. Hocks well let down, inclining neither in nor out when viewed from the rear.

Feet: Forefeet, larger than hind, may be slightly turned out. Pads thick and strong. Thin, narrow or spreading feet and long nails objectionable.

Tail: Short, balanced, well furnished with hair but not feathery. Neither high nor low set, carried gaily but not turned down towards back.

Gait/Movement: Very free-flowing stride. Forelegs reaching well forward. Hindlegs giving strong propulsion. Hocks neither too close nor too wide.

Coat: Very important. Weather-resistant. Must be double-coated, with profuse, harsh, but not coarse, outer coat; undercoat short, soft and close. Open coats objectionable. Slight wave permissible.

Colour: Cream, wheaten, red, grey or nearly black. Brindling in all these colours acceptable. Not solid black, or white, or black and tan. Dark points, such as ears and muzzle, very typical.

Sizes: Height: approx. 28-31 cms (11-12 ins) at withers, but in proportion to weight.

Weight: ideally 6-7.5 kg (14-16 lbs).

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

First time owner - Cal is now 10.

I don't know a lot about their history, but I know they are named for the scottish 'cairns' that they used to hunt among. They are a hunting/ratting breed with high prey drive, so keep this in mind.

I don't know numbers, but they are not hugely common - a lot of people on the street think he is an aussie terrier. He's only ever met about 2 other cairns in his life! I believe they're easy enough to get hold of though.

As with other small terriers, mid to late teens is fairly standard I think. Cal is going great guns at 10 years old - people are usually shocked that he is that old, they think he's just a spring chicken :laugh: A couple of years ago when he was 8 someone at the park asked his age, and when I said 8 they thought I meant 8 months!

Lots of terrier spunk :eek: Not the most affectionate of dogs in my experience though - not the type who will willingly spend hours on your lap. Too busy for that! He'll put up with a brief cuddle but won't hang around. He's slightly cuddlier in his old age though! And you still get the huge welcome after a day away at work - definitely loving, just not overly physically affectionate. Very happy little dog generally, very social with both dogs and people.

Daily walk, and they'll take as much as you want to give! Cal copes ok if we miss a few days, but then will start to bark more etc. Currently he's only getting about 20 min walk and doing fine, but will go for much longer than that. He has slowed down a bit now though compared to his younger days.

Yes - as long as the owner is aware of the breed. I was only 14 when we got him so he was a family dog and more my parents responsibility initially, and we were not hugely dog aware. We did not do enough to control his barking as a puppy and it has been a significant problem throughout his life. With better training from the get go it would not have been such an issue. Also he was a major escape artist as a younger dog so bear that in mind! But overall he's been pretty easy :dunce:

Cal has been a solo dog until recently (Finn is 2) and has always coped fine - but we have had a lot of barking issues as mentioned above. But with proper training, exercise and stimulation they would be ok as an only dog. He seems to love the company these days though :laugh:

I believe that their show coat is meant to be hand stripped, however Cal is just a pet so we clip him once a year at the start of summer. Then by the time winter comes he's good and shaggy! The coat is coarse and doesn't knot easily, we don't need to brush him much - but like I say if you are showing the coat requires more care than this.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Cal is great with kids and small enough for them to cope with. He's also very tolerant. He's developed some arthritis recently which has made him slightly prone to snappiness, but on the whole he's great with them. They are a lively breed though.

I'm not sure about this one!

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Again, not very knowledgeable on this sort of stuff :rofl:

Overall, they are a great breed. We initially chose a cairn because they are a small dog with a bit more substance! Great personalities, lots of cheekiness and fun. Everyone who meets him loves him :rofl: The barking has been a big problem for us, and new owners should be aware of this. But if you are onto it from the start you'll have a fantastic companion :rofl:

Hopefully some of the breeders on here can help with the more detailed stuff!

QUESTIONS

Breeder (AIMFOR CAIRNS, Melbourne, Vic)

Dogs of cairn type can be traced back as far as 500 years, with the breed development running parallel to that of the Skye terrier, Westie and the Scottish Terrier. Used to root out otters and other small animals from beneath cairns etc..First exhibited in 1909.

Not extreamly common, but there are a few around.

10 - 17 years (17 is the oldest one Ive met!)

Cheerful, alert and bursting with energy. Has an independant streak, while being affectionate and happy.

A daily walk or play, not a dog to be left in a yrad with nothing to do. Loves to rummage and investigate so extenda leads are great!

Yes, provided they are aware of terrier traits and behavior. Not a lap dog by any means!

yes, but with a nice big bone! Otherwise barking or digging can be an issue for young dogs. Older dogs do like to sit around and sleep though :laugh:

Lots if you are showing. Rolling, pulling coat. Pets, comb through aonce a week, nails and a bath when stinky! (not too often!) You cna clip these dogs too, but you will loose the rough terrier texture of the coat.

I have young children but I find they are great with them, they also know their limitations in paitence with children, and will go find somthing else to do if annoyed. Infirm, unless the dog is over 3 probable not a great choice.

PSS (Liver shunt (pups can and should be tested for this) Luxating petella is also common.

Has pup been Liver Shunt tested (paperwork can be supplied with results)

• 4 years later...

QUESTIONS

Owner/Breeder - First Cairn born in 1994 but have only bred a couple of litters due to my involvement with other kennels

Breed developed in Scotland to hunt vermin in small piles of rocks called "Cairns"

Very popular with those who know what they are :) Certainly are a few around but id say they aren't that common

10 - 14 years but my first boy lived to be 17years and 10 months.

Cheeky, outgoing and busy. They can be quite independent animals when required but will be excited to see you and enjoy pats and cuddles.

A decent back yard will keep a cairn happy as long as you spend time with him/her and provide them with things to entertain them. They love to get out and investigate the outside world so as a general rule i would reccomd a walk a couple of times a week to satisfy there need to investigate :)

They are a low maintence breed on a whole so as long as you have a secure yard and understand they are terriers and can display those instincts.

I find they will amuse themselves during the day as long as you give them things to do and play with. If you leave them with nothing to do they will find their own entertainment such as digging up your gardens, barking at the birds or getting up to mischief. I find on a whole they are good when occupied mind you I have a barrel of toys and play objects that i rotate through. Cairns like to be on things so simple things like a box can provide hours of entertainment.

As a pet they are relatively low maintence. Their coat does not matt on a whole nor shed. A good brush everynow and then and a trip to the groomer twice a year would probably be all that is reuired. I reccomend hand stripping which although sound painful is actually quite good for there coat and skin. If you clip your cairn be aware that it will soften there coat and no longer have that rugged appearence.

The cairn is a small hardy breed so yes can be quite good with small children HOWEVER like any dog there is a point where they have had enough so always supervise children with any dog. I generally reccomend older people dont take on a puppy but an older cairn past the puppy stage can be an ideal companion.

Slipping patella's and PSS (Livershunt)

Pups should be shunt tested and paper work supplied with pup.