Rottweiler

Troy

Thank you CavnRott, I shall post it in that section.

TrinaJ, I am currently feeding her 4 cups of dry food(vet recommended Hills Science Diet, Puppy Large Breed so we started that last week), and a cup of wholegrain rice mixed with veges (no onion). She gets a bone once a week as well.

Hi Sasby, in my opinion all dogs need good quality meat with a percentage of fat on/in it. I am not a lover of feeding just dry food. My guys get meat, veges, bones and a little dry. I fed chicken frames every second night and all other meals are meat, veg and a little dry food. They also get beef bones for chewing. I think if you add meat to your girl's diet she just may put on weight. Lamb flaps and necks are very good for weight gain.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there.

I know very little about dog nutrition but I do know that Hill is grain based and the second ingredient is a meat by-product (not good). Take a look at this site http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

I dont know about NSW but I know in NZ I feed Orijen. 4 of its first 5 ingredients are meat. They use high quality meat and ingredients. I hate to sound like a salesman, and believe me Im not, but I've had brilliant results with Orijen and my girls coats are shinier than ever. Also my older girl, who has arthritis in both back legs, is walking much better now (due to the glucosamine and crondroiton in Orijen) and pain free, for the most part. Take a look at Rottweiler forums and you will soon see that most people really dont agree with foods that have grain in them.

I hate to sound like a salesman, really! But While Orijen is deer it is similarly priced to Hills and if you're going to pay for the best there is much better products out the than Hills, and Eukanuba, that the vets push HEAVILY!!

Thank you CavnRott, I shall post it in that section.

TrinaJ, I am currently feeding her 4 cups of dry food(vet recommended Hills Science Diet, Puppy Large Breed so we started that last week), and a cup of wholegrain rice mixed with veges (no onion). She gets a bone once a week as well.

I have owned Rottweilers for nearly 30years, and have never fed any of my Dogs' 3 or 4 cups of any dry food. the maximum dry food I feed my dogs' is ONE cup. (an enamel camping cup ) I have always soaked my dry food as a preventative against bloat. I have used for most of those years Greens dog food and then when they changed Supercoat ,Adult Large Breed.( for adult dogs ) Together with the dry food and mixed through I feed either human grade chicken mince and lean beef occaisionally.I feed Lamb brisket bones as a treat every second day. We had fourteen Rottweilers at on stage and had lifespans from 8-9 years up to 14.5. currently one 13yr. male 2 8yr. males .1 11yr. bitch and 1 8 yr. bitch. I think that all the so-called premium brands are great marketing and a good money spinner for the Vets and pet supply business. Oh. and i still show my 8 years olds as they enjoy the day out. do the exercise and soak 3/4 cups of dry food and see what happens in your dogs stomach.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to help a dog park friend with finding a new Rottweiler

Story is

Currently has Jackson a beautiful Labrador (all vet work done)

He also has had storm a very big beautiful Male Rottie who has had for 6mths

He was doing part time security work (without a dog) but Storm belonged to the company

and for some reason just didnt cut it as a guard dog. So he took him home and

now the owner wants storm back (failed company so is selling him for $5000)

The family are gutted - Storm sleeps in the bedroom with his current ppl and the other dog

Jackson. He goes to the dog park daily and is just a big huggy bear.

They have thought about going to small claims court and fighting for the right to keep

Storm, but they worry about the problems in may cause with the guy who legally owns him

So, Storm will be picked up today and probably sold off to another company for guard training

They would really love a Rottweiler of their own. They are Western Sydney based and not after

showing or breeding and the dog would be desexed.

Does anyone have or know of any Young rotties that are in need of a good home?

• 5 years later...