Problem With Alaskan Malamute Pup

83ARZ

Hi all,

We are hoping that someone might have some bright idea for us that we haven't tried yet.

Well we have a 12 week old male Alaskan Malamute pup and the problem we having with him is with his winging / howling of a morning. Now we have 2 other dogs so we have been through having a puppy and know what a puppy is like to look after but this isn't normal. We get up around 5am every morning to get ready to come to work. The pup is getting up around 4:30am - 5am and not just winging but winging and howling so loud that it then gets out 11 month old Huksy started and then it just sounds crazy. And the mix of the howling and winging just sounds like he is in some serious pain. But this is the only time that he will do it is in the morning. And as we live in a residential area im sure that our neighbours are loving us. To me its like he is getting way to over excited. At the same time he is making this noise his tail is going crazy so im sure that its excitement but there has to be a way to do it quiet.

Has anyone got any suggestions that might help this? I will list the things that we have already tried -

*** Tried to make a loud noise like NO when he does it and then when stops give him treats but he stops for a second, gets the treat and then starts again and doesn't stop doing this for a good 10-15mins.

*** Tried to ignore him but being 4:30am - 5am in the morning that's not really possible or fare on our neighbours....and the more we ignore the louder he gets.

*** Tried a bark collar - The collar goes off and we can hear the loud beeping noise but this also doesn't stop him.

hi 83ARZ,

maybe u would like to go into the Spitz breed, theres a couple of mal owners there n they can give u better advice?

Thanks heaps man....have just posted there...Hope that I did it right...and im ready for all the bad comments but ooo well ya get that on forums. Cheers

My lakelands AND my vizsla were early risers, 4am!! until around 12 months of age. I just used to get up. Eventually they would sleep in until about 6am! for life. I can't even remember the last time I would have been in bed past 6am. on any day of the week. On weekends I will have a nanny nap though :hug:

I never let them make a noise etc. as I had children who needed sleep for school and OH. I worked too and was exhausted by the time for work, but the dogs were worn out and at least would sleep while I was out :rofl:

Luckily my spinone LOVES a sleep in and even at 8 weeks did not wake us up!!! :rofl: I've NEVER ever had a dog like that before. She's a bed bug :rofl:

maybe he wants to come in the house then? my dog barks and howls when shes outside and can see us around inside, because when there puppies they just want to be with you ALL the time

But he is outside all day and we get home around 6pm and then take them for walk and then when we get home they are outside again until we go to bed and no winging or howling in that time.....This only happens in the morning around 4:30 - 5am - About same time we wake to go2 work.....I think if he was winging and howling to come inside then he would also do it at night but this isnt the case. He only does it early mornings just before we wake up.

What time do you feed her brekkie

Well we get up for work at 5am. And for the past 2 weeks he has been up around 4:50 and starts making noise around then...we normally let it go until alarms go off and then I get up and feed him.....If I dont then it just gets louder and louder.

maybe he wants to come in the house then? my dog barks and howls when shes outside and can see us around inside, because when there puppies they just want to be with you ALL the time

But he is outside all day and we get home around 6pm and then take them for walk and then when we get home they are outside again until we go to bed and no winging or howling in that time.....This only happens in the morning around 4:30 - 5am - About same time we wake to go2 work.....I think if he was winging and howling to come inside then he would also do it at night but this isnt the case. He only does it early mornings just before we wake up.

Maybe his body clock is saying it's breakfast time? How many meals does he have a day?

Other than that, maybe just lonely? When does he get 'people' time? Is it only on his evening walk? know everyone is different, but we spend all but a few hours a day, (maybe 5 at the most not with them,) with ours. That's not to say anyone else should, but if you are at work very early, then they ahve a walk at night and back outside, when is he having play, training, fun, cuddle time? He may be too tired at night after his walk, to whinge.

My girl would be a wreck if she only had a few hours decent attention from me every day. The days I go to work all day I get up, walk her for 20-30 mins to tire her out a bit, then after work she is indoors with us the whole time and gets a LOT of attention - hence I have a dog that never whinges! I think dogs that are stuck outside most of the time naturally have more chances of developing more behavioral issues. He probably just wants to come in and feeding brekkie soon after may be a reward to him!

Well we get up for work at 5am. And for the past 2 weeks he has been up around 4:50 and starts making noise around then...we normally let it go until alarms go off and then I get up and feed him.....If I dont then it just gets louder and louder.

of course it gets louder........ cos his body knows food is coming!!!

This is perhaps his only excitement for the morning... and it is his reaction to it. Simple.

What is his routine.... apart from getting fed at 5 am..and walked at 6 pm?

My boyfriend and I have an 7 month old husky, and she starts 'screeching' when she's excited, wether it's because you're getting home from work, picking up the leashes, etc. She sounds like she's being beaten!

Sounds like your boy is very vocal like her

I will answer a few questions here -

He gets up around 4:30-5am and yes wanting food. We then feed him soon after that and he normally eats that in about 2 seconds lol......From there we then let him and other dogs in the house so they have time with us before we leave. It only takes me about 5 mins to get ready but takes my partner a little longer....So after food in the morning they still get around 30-40 mins of play time with us before we leave the house.

Then they have each other outside all day until we get home around 6pm. First thing we normally do is put our shit down and then go and see them for around 15mins and then take them for a long walk. Then they settle outside while we have showers and dinner and then I normally feed him around 7:30pm and then he is back in the house again until about 9pm or until we go2 bed....So apart from the walking there is still a good 2 or so hours there or us and puppy time. Yeah its prob not enough but we work long hours. And I really don't think that he gets to lonely with our other dogs there....when they are 2gether they have a ball.

But as of Friday we tried all the dogs in the room at night thing and this has worked allot. Its prob not the best thing to do but its the best for our neighbours as he doesn't winge now and sleeps from around 9pm all the way through.....and as we already trained him to go2 toilet outside we dont need to worry about that at all. I just hope that when he is a little older and has to go back out again that he has grown out of being such a little sook.

But thanks all for the help :-_)