Great Barko

Pete.the.dog

My pug puppies have been on Purina ProPlan puppy food, and have been going well, but seeing this great value alternative (and all of your helpful comments) has inspired me to get some this weekend for the babies :p i am also positive that they will eat it, as they are complete little pigs! i'm based in the city in melbourne, and from what i can gather, the closest distributer to me would be petstock in south melb... unless any other melburnites get it anywhere else?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I'm a Great Barko convert too, almost gone through our first bag, well getting to the bottom, still probably got another couple of weeks at least before I need another bag.

I was feeding Supercoat Puppy, and thought he was doing fairly well on that, but since changing to Great Barko I have noticed his coat is a lot more shiny, his poo's are possibly a bit less in quantity, but good in consistency (apart from all the "non-digestibles" he discovers to eat around the back yard, he loves the seeds from the date palm, I have watched him sniff out the freshly fallen fruit/seeds and then I knew that it was actually his poop with them in that I was finding, not giant sleepy lizards!!!)

He didnt have any issues with changing apart from when I first gave it to him he took a lot longer to eat it, which for a hoover is a good thing, but now he's gone back to just inhaling it, nut he has also grown more too.

I also found that I need to feed him less than what I was on the Supercoat. On Supercoat he would get 2 cups both morning and evening, now he gets 2 in the morning and 1 at night, he turned into a bit of a pudge with the same amount as the Supercoat.

I'll definately be sticking to it for a while longer!!!

Vanessa

I use Barko here too, Zeus's breeder reccomended it as that is what she uses, both he and my lab do well on it.

Because i have to buy it from a town an hour away sometimes i have to get Bonnie or what ever the rural supplies have here, They told me last week about a product similar to Barko I think it's called Hypro and I mixed it with the Bonnie as that's all i had at the time and Zeus will literally pick the other product out lol He hates it, Another dane owner here uses this hypro or what ever its called and their dogs love it.

I pay 29 dollars for Barko

I got a bag of Hypro the other day and my dogs arent that keen on it, we have tried Great Barko and Uncle Albers as well. What my dogs do love are the Hypro 4x2 biscuits, its like they are addicted to them. I liked the oily feel of the GB and UA but they didn't take to them, fussy buggers.

• 1 month later...
Yep I'm a Great Barko convert too, almost gone through our first bag, well getting to the bottom, still probably got another couple of weeks at least before I need another bag.

I was feeding Supercoat Puppy, and thought he was doing fairly well on that, but since changing to Great Barko I have noticed his coat is a lot more shiny, his poo's are possibly a bit less in quantity, but good in consistency (apart from all the "non-digestibles" he discovers to eat around the back yard, he loves the seeds from the date palm, I have watched him sniff out the freshly fallen fruit/seeds and then I knew that it was actually his poop with them in that I was finding, not giant sleepy lizards!!!)

He didnt have any issues with changing apart from when I first gave it to him he took a lot longer to eat it, which for a hoover is a good thing, but now he's gone back to just inhaling it, nut he has also grown more too.

I also found that I need to feed him less than what I was on the Supercoat. On Supercoat he would get 2 cups both morning and evening, now he gets 2 in the morning and 1 at night, he turned into a bit of a pudge with the same amount as the Supercoat.

I'll definately be sticking to it for a while longer!!!

Vanessa

Just thought I would add that I have noticed lately that his coat doesnt seem to be getting as dirty lately as it used to. Not sure if this is a food related thing or not, but I know that it is still really nice and shiny.

We went down to Adelaide a couple of weekends ago and caught up with family and friends who have dogs and I was amazed as to how nice and glossy his coat looks compared to theirs, and they dont have any where near the amount of dirt and dust that we have up here, not sure what they were fed but I would assume supermarket kibble.

We dont do anything special for his coat, a brush over once or twice a week (more because I hate having dog hair over me more than anything) and a bath about once a fortnight, although it has been at least a month now since he has had a bath and he is only just starting to get that really "doggy" smell.

Oh and he seems to be scratching much less as well, again dont know if that is food related or something to do with biting insects or just growing/stretching skin.

My dogs were on Supercoat and about a month back I changed them to Uncle Albers; made by the same company that makes Great Barko. I am happy to say they are doing very well on it. My choc labbie boy has a shinier coat and a lot less poo!

Edited by inbamnsa