Won't Sit When Out Walking

My 2 devious whippets have suddenly decided that sitting at roads while out on walks is soooo yesterday and are flatly refusing to do it. I am at a loss why we always made them sit from day 1.

I resorted to taking the clicker and treats today with some improvement but it took some waiting and tempting to get a response. Yet when training they do it beautifully, little buggers.

One other question how do i get them to sit next to my leg when I stop while heeling.

I resorted to taking the clicker and treats today with some improvement but it took some waiting and tempting to get a response. Yet when training they do it beautifully, little buggers.

What is the difference between 'training' and 'walking' do you think?

One other question how do i get them to sit next to my leg when I stop while heeling.

Stop walking then cue "sit" immediately. Your stopping will begin to predict "sit" eventually and your dog will start to anticipate it. The first time he correctly anticipates it, don't cue "sit", but click and treat straight away.

Hi Neats!

Have you tried making them sit by gently pushing their bottom to the ground upon stopping? This might let them know that they won't be going anywhere after they sit and if it done repetitively after a while, they will eventually do it without you making them sit or even telling them to do it. Maybe say "wait" as well until you're ready to cross the road.

When I did beginners 5 of obedience, I was told that by that stage your dog should be able to sit on it's own without resorting to telling or making them sit and so at home I worked with my dog Bella and for every stop, I would make her sit by pushing her bottom down, and after a few days, she picked it up quickly! I am working on that with my Min Pin Clancy at the moment as he gets older and start to be familiar by regular visits to obedience club, he will need to be able to sit next to me when I stop walking/heeling.

Let us know how you go with it!

Edited by Tambaqui

When you are stopping and you want them to sit are they on the concrete or bitumen foot path?

Think about how boney a Whippets legs are, Rommi will sit on surfaces like that, but she certainly doesn't like it, she only does it as she does as I ask.

Also as the others have said, think about walk v's training. I am sure you train on grass and walk on a hard footpath. Some people believe if the get their dog to stop and sit at each crossing if it ever gets free then that is what it will do. But unfortunately that is not the case.

As for automatic sits, as you are stopping, not once you have stopped, ask them to sit - when they do highly re-inforce. If they offer a stand or down, ignore, heel off and present them with another opportunity to get it right, if they do, highly reinforce. Over time it becomes second nature. If they are not offering the automatic sit much at all then do lots of short sessions of sit only's until they start to offer the sit when you stop. Once the automatic sit becomes second nature then ask for the other things, again as you are stopping, not once you have stopped.

Edited by rommimum

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions

I went back to basics with clicker training last night in the house and worked with both of them separately only on sitting every time I stopped BEAUTIFUL, however getting Bella to sit next to my leg not a foot back is an issue but not the issue I was asking for last night, was only after the sit so I left it.

Had wonderful focus from them as well.

Love their happy paws treats and Ziwipeak

On another note we are going to look at another training group tomorrow instead of our obedience club as I don't really like their techniques, bit rough.

This new lady mainly uses clicker training which I am enjoying.

She also does Rally O, agility and traditional obedience + flyball. So much fun to be had

The hand on the backside does not work on my dogs at all, they just resist it very strongly.

Have now sort of resorted to waiting and rewarding them by moving off when they comply

Edited by Neats