Protective But Not Aggressive Breeds

Shakti

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they will take the defensive more then the offensive like the Mals, hence the front teeth biting and 'nipping' behavior. F off, you've been warned instead of being attacked by a flying Maligator who wont let go :)

I'd love to try a Caucasian or CAO in protection training, only if it had a stable temperament, strong nerves and the right temperament. I'm sure the prison system wouldnt say no to a dog of that size breaking up the odd fight and keeping the inmates in line.

nah the bigger the better. I love my Malinois but I love my bigguns more now :) I may branch out from Mals when I have some more time later I really love PP work. BRT is another I want to try, as well as a CAO/Caucasian

Just because a dog is huge doesnt make it that hard to handle. If I can cope with 60kg on the end of the leash what's a few more Kg's :(

;) @ Aiden

I believe they are secret service dogs? yup they are trained but to another level

eta if you wanted a personal protection dog those mals are way above and beyond anything you need.

Yes, I can't imagine any personal protection scenario that would require my dog to drag someone out of a car windows! :(

I guess it all depends what you want in a dog? I'm very happy with my pocket rocket mally. But I also suspect she would be a terrible PP dog for the average family, even if trained appropriately. Most people who want PP dogs seem to want a nice, calm, safe pet who can just fire up and defend when necessary. Not a dog who is on the go all day, looking for something to do and something to bite!

this has been a really interesting thread (and I am surprised that i only found it today, since the topic has been quite popular in the last few days!!)

I look forward to seeing the results published simply out of curiosity...

Just wondering if anyone who has been involved in training personal protection dogs ever seen a weimaraner in action? I believe they are used quite a lot in Germany or they were... not sure if they are now. I would say the temperament of most in Australia wouldn't lend themselves well but the working ones in Germany might..

*pokes her malinois who is currently sprawled on the floor in a stupor*

hear that .. you're meant to be on the go.

go!

I'm being stared at severely. I think that meant 'try that again and I will go' ;)

Wow, the only time mine stops is when she's asleep. :( Lucky for her she's so cute.

Wow, the only time mine stops is when she's asleep. :( Lucky for her she's so cute.

Sleep? I've only seen Sabella (GSD) do that a couple of times in nearly eight years. I saw it last night, I'm hoping it was the Tryptophan supplement I've recently started giving her. She will normally only sleep when she's sure I am sleeping too, or not home.

Just wondering if anyone who has been involved in training personal protection dogs ever seen a weimaraner in action?

nope. I cant see any aussie weims being able to cope with it at all most I have seen do not have the temperament at all. Considering they are not bred primarily for it I would think the ones that are doing it are the flukes of the lines, of course I could stand corrected.

Wow, the only time mine stops is when she's asleep.

oh yeah they eventually grow out of that ...well kinda. Depends on what you teach them too if you teach 'quiet time' they will settle. Mine can be happy to go a few days without structured activity but more then that and it's super antsy in the pantsy :( Mina is in season at the moment anyway so she's being super suckenois as we call her ;)

She will normally only sleep when she's sure I am sleeping too, or not home.

Mina is like that. SHe will only sleep if we sleep (and hence she will actually stand there falling asleep on her feet but still looking after me) or doze when we're alone in the house and she's checked it all out. One noise though and she snaps into action

Edited by Nekhbet

oh yeah they eventually grow out of that ...well kinda. Depends on what you teach them too if you teach 'quiet time' they will settle. Mine can be happy to go a few days without structured activity but more then that and it's super antsy in the pantsy ;) Mina is in season at the moment anyway so she's being super suckenois as we call her :)

Actually, I kind of like it. I must be crazy. :(

She is getting a little calmer as she grows, though. And we are attempting to designate inside the house a calm-mally zone!

And luckily she does sleep a lot of the time. I currently have 16kg of fluffy baby malligator cuteness curled up on my feet as I type. Everyone say awwwwww... :mad

Edited by Staranais