Cargo Net/barrier Advice Needed

RubyStar

Sorry, another one of those cargo barrier threads :) Hope someone can give me some advice!

I am in need of a cargo barrier or cargo net for the back of my Hyundai Tucson, to stop Millie from getting over the backseats from the cargo area. I even harness her in, and tighten it, and she still somehow manages to squeeze out of her harness in her stress of me leaving her in the car briefly and I return to the car to find her on the backseats (or in the driver's seat!)

I need something that can be easily removed from when I want to cart non-doggie cargo, so a permanent cargo barrier is out. And the size of my cargo area isn't huge, and it needs to fit 2 Labradors, and from what I've seen, cargo barriers tend to start at the floor and takes up the precious space I need for the dogs comfort.

I found this cargo net which seems ideal, except for the fact that there are gaps on either side. Millie is still bound to jump over the seats through this gap :eek:

Safety%20Net%20Installed%20copy.jpg

Can anybody think of any solutions for my situation? My car is a similar shape/size to the one pictured above. I thought harnessing in would be the solution, but it doesn't restrain Millie enough. She jumps around in a panic if I leave her in the car by herself. She's usually fine if left with Ruby.

I need a solution ASAP, so I hope someone can help!! Thanks! :eek:

Hi RS

Saw your post in the Training thread :) I have a safety net from Milford who you can Google. It needs to be professionally installed but you can easily remove it and replace it. Not cheap but very safe! There is a slight gap either side but I have taught Zig not to go through. Hope that helps!

ETA: Just noticed the pic which looks like mine! What about working on the dog? I reckon some crate games in the car woudn't hurt...Zig doesn't like being left either and I am rewarding calm behaviour which seems to help.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Thanks for the responses guys, but unfortunately a crate is not an option. It won't fit properly with having one Lab in a crate and one not, and my crate is too heavy and awkward to lift into a large car on my own (I'm not the biggest of people). A soft crate will not contain Millie either, she would try to break out of it in her panic. Never mind the fact that it would take me an age to get Millie to jump into the car directly into the crate. She's slowly starting to like the wire crate, i'm playing crate games with her, but in the car, can't see it happening anytime soon and I need a barrier ASAP.

TSD, yes Millie does need more work :laugh: She's a rescue girl so has some issues I haven't been able to sort out when a pup like I have with Ruby, as Ruby is pretty calm to be left on her own (but not without the occasional impatient whine :laugh:) It gets hard to train Millie to be calm in the car when it only happens when I'm away from her! I found the Milford safety net after seeing your picture and there is a mobile fitter that actually just lives around the corner from me! So I may give him a call, but just want to see if I can find anything that doesn't have a gap on either side where Millie is bound to come through :cry:

Edited by RubyStar

RS - the Milford one, whilst pricey, will give your dogs protection in the case of an accident (the main reason I purchased it). The cheaper ones act as a barrier but can't be expected to stop the dogs being moving projectiles if you have a prang. I was always going to rig something up to stop Zig jumping through the gap but he is so much better so I didn't bother - I think that's quite a feasible option.

I didn't realise Millie was a rescue girl - keep persisting with her and you will reap the rewards :cry:

RS - the Milford one, whilst pricey, will give your dogs protection in the case of an accident (the main reason I purchased it). The cheaper ones act as a barrier but can't be expected to stop the dogs being moving projectiles if you have a prang. I was always going to rig something up to stop Zig jumping through the gap but he is so much better so I didn't bother - I think that's quite a feasible option.

I didn't realise Millie was a rescue girl - keep persisting with her and you will reap the rewards :thumbsup:

May I ask how much it was, including installation? PM if you wish, or not :lollipop:

Have some good news - took both girls to training tonight and left Millie harnessed in the back of the car by herself after tightening her harness once more. Come back and she's still in the harness in the back where she should be, woohoo!! :o So maybe a cargo net will be all I need as long as I make sure that harness is nice and tiiiiiiight!!! (she doesn't need to be able to breathe, does she? :thumbsup:)

to the original question... the answer is maybe.

Really need to know what year it is and if it has curtain air bags. Cargo nets won't fit models with curtain air bags or elite model without seriously jeopordising the safety features of your car... so don't just go buying any net you find on sale!

They are available for certain models, tho are not cheap. I can get you one cheaper as you are a Perthite! (my partner is in parts at Hyundai)

If you wish, PM me your VIN or rego and I will find out if it is available, otherwise, I can give you my partners' work number and you can just liaise directly with him. If he has your VIN/rego he can do a search on your vehicle (doesn't matter where you bought it from) and find out if the net will fit your car.

post-2657-1252983096_thumb.png

Edited by AnnaW

• 4 months later...
Just bumping this to find out if you found a solution RubyStar??

Milford don't make cargo barriers for Tucsons.

I didn't end up getting anything. Hyundai make their own cargo barriers but I have the Elite model with the curtain airbags, so legally, they can't install the barrier in my model because of the airbags! Instead, I just either make Millie's harness extra tight so she can't wriggle out of it and seat jump, or I fold the back seats down so the dogs have more room and she has no way of jumping on the seats! So basically, I'm just making do :eek:

Do you have the same car?

I wish I had read this thread before we went to training tonight! I have a Santa Fe and had the exact same problem. My dogs are pretty good but if there is no barrier they will both end up in the back seat if I'm not attentive. I also needed to retain as much space as possible and yet be able to easily use the back seat for human passengers at a moments notice. I ended up using a clipper 6 crate which is the same one I fly him in when we go east for one dog and the space left is for the other. I used a large cargo net hooked up which is a visual barrier which they respect and haven't pushed past even though they could if they wanted to. Its not a safety barrier and I'm looking at working out a more permantent solution which will probably include a raised platform for the crate and I can store stuff underneath it. Remind me on Saturday if you're coming to the mock trial or else next Monday and we can compare notes :eek: .