Flyball In Perth

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Me and the missus were talking about this a couple of months ago. We'd be very serious about starting a club, and I sent off an e-mail to the Fly Ball association regarding where we could pick up some equipment and the like, but no-one got back to me. If nothing comes of it, we'll push harder once the weather warms up.

• 1 month later...

I would be in too!

The WA K9 Flyers were started by Hayley & Tim Lamb of Borderton Kennels in Perth about 8-10 years ago. Eventually the club folded as there has always been far too many other dog sport competitions. The K9 Flyers did not have enough participants or instructors, and it couldn't be run by just one couple and unfair to expect it could.

Perth Training (PT&ODC) also was attempting to run Flyball for a while, but again died for a lack of participants. They did have a name with the AFA and that was the PT Cruisers.

The DogsWest (ANKC State Body) in Perth also attempted to start Flyball up, this folded from a lack of Instructors and participants. The Flyball boxes I believe were sold off and went up North.

With Agility running basically every weekend in Perth, even obedience is suffering a serious lack of numbers now, they have tried to get Rally-O up and nothing is happening on that front either.

WA not only has ANKC agility, but also runs ADAA competitions, so pretty much all the agility people who 'would likely' participate have a very full schedule.

One of the major problems is that all people want to do is to "get onto the boxes' without doing all the really necessary ground work involved in teaching swimmers turns, etc. The boxes are the last thing the dogs should learn. The desire to run, without (weeks and months) foundation work, is why most people give it up. Safe crossing with the dogs is SO important There is a Yahoo group for flyball in Australia. flyball-oz

This is an open list for flyball enthusiasts especially in Australia. When you join the list please introduce yourself with a brief message about you and your dogs etc.

• Members: 265
  • Latest Activity: 6 days ago
  • Created: 11 years ago

• Archive: Membership required
  • Moderated: No

Flyball is a very exciting sport and a great crowd-pleaser, but it would require serious dedication from a LOT of people to get a club running in Perth. TO run competitions, you need teams, and you need people prepared to 'man the boxes' and run the events as well, so however many people wanted to do it, would need double to actually run it. I hope this helps!! Sounds daunting, but these things don't just happen, people are necessary. To make a club really work, you would need at least 40 people actively involved all the time and half of them would make up only about two teams !

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but being 6 years since the question was asked (and knowing that there's some valuable background on this thread), I wanted to ask again...

I have just discovered this sport and I have a rescue dog who LOVES to run and is fast. But I have no knowledge about the required training, nor the time to set up and run a club as I work full time plus am very involved with rescue. But I do have a lot of dog contacts (through rescue mostly, I also run a rescue dog walking group on Facebook that has 170 members), and with social media where it is at now, I reckon I probably could make a good effort required to get somewhere close to the minimum 40 participants suggested previously. 

So i I wondered if there was any enthusiasm for giving this another shot? If someone else had the interest in running a club, and if we could find a trainer, I'd be happy to do the publicity and social media stuff. 

Anyone? 

• Like 1