Green Discharge

My puppy has had a green discharge (?urethra/vaginal) a couple of times about six weeks ago and now twice in the past week. She is showing no symptoms of being unwell and her weeing behaviour is normal. I have some antibiotics to commence her on but I really hate using Antibiotics!!! I am just wondering if she really needs them or if this is just something that happens every now and again with girl dogs??

Use ½ teaspoon of Oxyrich + I cup of warm distilled water and make up a douche. Draw some of the mixture into a 12CC syringe (minus the needle, of course!) take her outside and give her a little squirt (in the vulva, not the fanny, this is not an enema).

Do this a couple of times a day for 2-3 days then once a day for 2-3 days and it will take care of it.

Mel

I wouldn't be messing around with this by trying home remedies.

Years ago my 8 month old GSD had a discharge such as you describe and it turned out to be pyometra. The dog had to have an emergency spay and we darn near lost her.

The colour alone of the discharge you describe means there is an infection of some description.

I would be going back to the vet.

Dogs should only get puppy vaginitis up to 7 months of age...

If a dog was older than that then it is likely to be an infection...

Most cases of puppy vaginitis are treated with antibiotics when it is not an infection at all...

I do recommend a Vet visit...but you can opt to not use antibiotics if it is not an infection...

Mel

No season yet. She is a bitch with very good confirmation and blood lines. I expect her to be the foundation bitch for my kennels. Obviously I don't want to be taking any chances with her reproductive system... yet I don't want to be using strong drugs to treat something normal.. and risk upsetting her whole gut flora etc.

The discharge has come out when she pees... and hangs there until she licks it off (gross I know!) and then there is no more. It has happened four times in all with a 6 week gap between the first two times and the last two times. It doesn't sound like an acute infection and I have not noticed an offensive odour.

Thanks so much for the info so far *spec greyhoundangel*

No... but will get a dipstick from work tomorrow and do it. (I am an RN) That might give me a better idea about what is going on... although I would expect to see a lot of leucocytes in the wee if there is some discharge there from the vaginitis. It can't hurt (well it might hurt my knees crawling after her to get a sample :hug: )

I had an older unspayed bitch with a similar problem (although she also had an odour and was flat for 3 days). Turned out she had Pyometra and had to have a hysterectomy. I say again she was older, about 7 years, not a pup. If in doubt check it out!

Regards,

Corine