Puppy Purchasers....taking Your New Puppy Home

ellz

Putting this in General so as to get a wider cross section of replies if possible.

As a puppy purchaser what would you like (or even EXPECT) to receive from a breeder when you take your new puppy home?

The Code Of Ethics of the ANKC state that all purchasers are to be provided with appropriate literature pertaining to the care of the puppy and that is of course a very BASIC "given".

So, if you were able to have a choice as to what you'd actually receive in addition to that, what would it be?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like it in simple wording, public members can be confused with phrases that those in the know take for granted

All the normal feeding/excersising/health/toileting information

A list of dos and donts, eg large breeds no jumping until certain ages

Vet schedulas, and if possible a recommended vet in the area

Fear periods for the breed of dog, as it changes

A list of other breeders/people in the area pup is sent to that are willing to help if need be.

Information on rescue and how it works

Contract for whos expected to do what

A blanket/cloth /toy that smells like mum and litter mates

Infomation on extra needs the breed may have

Needs for hot and cold days, maybe stating temps as QLD has quiet difference of a hot day to those in Tassie

PUPPY PHOTOS with bith weights, whent hey opened their eyes ect if possible, I love my photos of Dante as a wee bubba

Bloodline information

Also if its a large breed the importance of a good strong quality collar and lead and maybe some recommendations on wear to buy these, those sorts of things

IMO maybe send the information a week before puppy so the new owner can read it before being distracted my a new puppy

I realise alot of you already to these things, but this is just my opinion

Edited by Pandii

Guest rhapsodical78

My cat breeder gave me a DVD of photos of my cat from birth until 12 weeks when I picked him up. I was impressed with that. Obviously that's not something that's necessary, but it was really nice!

My dog breeder have me a folder with a lot of information about the breeder, their dogs, my dog's lineage as well as breed specific information about the raising and temperament of my chosen breed. I don't know if this is standard, but it sure was awesome.

My dog breeder have me a folder with a lot of information about the breeder, their dogs, my dog's lineage as well as breed specific information about the raising and temperament of my chosen breed. I don't know if this is standard, but it sure was awesome.

Yes, that's normal (and pretty much what is expected under the rules of the ANKC).

I'm talking about what "items" you'd like to receive....ie food, toys etc.

Is there anything that you think the breeder could/should provide with a puppy???

Guest rhapsodical78

Yes, that's normal (and pretty much what is expected under the rules of the ANKC).

Is there anything that you think the breeder could/should provide with a puppy???

Well I also got a bag of the food my dog was currently eating. I can't really think of anything else that would be good.

I got a book from the breeder that he'd written himself on wheatens (still have it). One day I'm going to OCR scan it and bind it properly with photos. Sure, I'd have love to have gotten photos but etched in my mind are the phone descriptions of the BFPD (big fat puppy dog) and how different he was to the other pups, etc. The pup's sire came to the airport to meet us, too, which we very much appreciated. Didn't get toys or food (do breeders who fly pups interstate do that?) but we were so excited that getting him was enough.

I think one lot of worming tablets is a good idea, also the food that pup is currently on is a good idea. I know someone who recieved a puppy with a blackdog collar and lead set and a toy, which is a nice idea but I think the lead and collar is a bit of overkill.

If I ever breed a litter my puppy pack will have photos of the parents and a bit of info (like a mini resume) of each parent. A couple of printed out photos of the puppy plus a CD of other photos and/or videos (if I take any). Basic training and raising a puppy info and tips (such as toilet training, fear periods etc), feeding info, basic grooming instructions and vet/health instructions. I will also provide one or two worming treatments, a couple of days worth of food (I feed raw so this would depend on what the new owners are planning to feed) and a toy that the puppy is familiar with.

I just rehomed a pup that didn't work out as a show dog and he was sent to his new home with a folder and cd containing all of the above, plus his bed that he had while he was here (I had no need for it) and food for a day or two (a couple of frozen chicken frames in his case). He was already on monthy worming/flea treatments so I treated him for all of this before he left so his new owner would have a month before it was due again. I also gave some training articles that I think are helpful and useful. I also gave his new owner a demo on how to groom, trim nails, trim excess hair on feet etc and showed her all the tools that I use and recommend plus the shampoos/product that I use. His new owner was stoked at all of this info!

Also have to say, when I got Grumpy, his breeder flew with him from SA, brought his two hammock beds, an old wheaten terrier book and his BOB cert from the VP of the Irish Kennel Club, his show leads, and all sorts of other bits and pieces. :)

I can't remember what Miss Mini came with, though Merijigs might remember. All I remember was the beer at the Bredbo pub (no, not that much beer).

The things I would like:

- Bag of food the dog was on at the breeders (usually I have to go out and buy a bag of what they're feeding and then I have all this food left over after transferring them over!)

- Photos of the pup from birth (though these days having them on email is fine!)

- For a new owner who has never had the breed, instructions on how to groom including a lesson from the breeder on a puppy and a full grown dog.

Aside from that, the info, etc of course.

Personally I would like know everything ....

I would like:

- photo's from birth to 8 weeks,

- to have a copy of the weight chart (so I know roughly how much she/he has been gaining on a regular basis),

- details about the breeder such as their goals etc and why they breed and contact details (a single page or even a paragraph or two). Maybe including a paragraph about if circumstances change and pup needs a new home - contact breeder first.

- to know some details on each of the parents (maybe a little blurb about their history, personality and traits) with nice photo's of each

- know what they have been feed with their feeding schedules with amounts etc

- know their medical history from birth (not just worming and vaccinations) - if any

- know any information the breeder might know of the pup - such as observations about their personality, behaviours (even just a paragraph) as a way of introducing the pup ... even their favour type of toy (if they have one)

- information on what to expect within the first week, month of the new puppy coming home

- some general information about how to go about transferring papers (if not done by the breeder), paperwork relating to microchipping and even a blank form or details on how to update address details.

Some stuff like details of the pups parents and the breeder should already be known prior to purchase but it doesn't hurt to have it in writing. I know we were told stuff when we brought our previous pup but at the time my focus was on the new additional so it is good to have it all in writing.

In addition to the recommended paperwork/care guidelines, I would love to receive some photos of the pups in the very early days... and enough of the puppies current food to get me by until I can by some (or enough food so I can 'transistion' onto a locally available food if the current food is not available). Something familiar to the puppy to help it settle in would also be great (be it a toy, or even just a small square off-cut section of a blanket used for the litter)

Anything much more than that, whilst very nice and much appreciate, I don't see how the breeder could reasonably be expected to find the time (and possibly money) for.

A great topic :)

It's probably already been said, but when my sister got her OES she had lots of great information come with it...

Information included:

*A bit of a diary entry about the pup, how it behaves with it's mother and littermates, its favourite things (in our instance Charlie loved water - and still does)

*photos from birth to 8 weeks of him (with littermates and individual)

*5 Generation pedigree, with photos of parents, grandparents etc

*Copy of the breed standard (and in this case a breed standard extension)

*book recommendations

*grooming tips

*Diet sheet

He also came across to WA with his section of faux sheepskin (kind of like drybed i think) that the breeder cut up into sections but was originally in the whelping box.

In addition, lots of photos are always wonderful. I also think that a form for the breed club in their state is a good way to encourage activities with their pup (of course there isn't always a breed club, but if there is i think its a good idea)

My first pup came with a show lead (because he was intended as a showdog)

Second pup came across with his special blanket and his original colour puppy collar (green velvet) on the crate

Last pup came across with puppy blanket and puppy information file similar to the above plus some health information.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Im getting my pup in 5 weeks and I have already got a photo album of her! The breeder sent birth, 1 week and 2 weeks photos. I am visiting this week and will take my own 3 week old photos. My breeder will send me weekly updates until I take her home. I will also receive a puppy pack with dry food, a list of other foods she has been having. I have received links to puppy training info. All very helpful.

As well as a great puppy folder with lots of information, the things I've appreciated most that came with Rory from WA are

- the pages with photos of him growing up with his littermates and friends, and photos of his parents growing up, and of all the dogs on his pedigree (nearly all to 5 generations) = so nice to see what's behind him; and

- a stuffed toy - which he still picks up and carries round sometimes.

(Thanks winpara :( )

When I purchased Millie; Belinda and Lesley (the breeders) sent down a puppy pack (as did the breeders for my other Aussies), but what made Millie's puppy pack more special then Jack and Cooper's packs was that Millie's came with a disc full of week to week photos of Millie from birth through to 8 weeks. It also had photos of her littermates and both stack and play shots of her. These photos are my favourite photos of Millie to this day, particularily one of millie at an hour old.

I have been really lucky with my aussies, and the three breeders of my aussies. They are all really nice people and I am very lucky to have them as mentors and people for advice.

Each of my dogs came from their breeders with a puppy pack folder set up, and each of them have since been converted into a large folder with dividers for each pup.

*goes to grab giant folder*

Millie's folder came with a photo of Millie, her call name, pedigree name and her breeders kennel prefix on the front page.

then it had the breeders contact information, Millie's paperwork, her microchipping form, some history on the breed, the breed standard with diagrams for sturcture etc.

It also presents me with information regarding Millie's birth night, she was the 5th puppy out of the litter etc, and I also was provided with photocopies or the sire and dams hip and elbow scores, their eye exam certificates and my puppy's vaccination and litter screening details. Because Millie is co-owned i was also sent the partnership agreement and other littler bits of information on the breed. Millie's folder also came with a new toy, and a bag of dog food.

Cooper's folder gave me a wealth of information regarding everything from what to expect on his first night with me, to feeding at different stages of his puppy hood through to maturity and beyond. It presented me with information regarding what he's been treated with in the way of vaccines, fleas, heartworm etc and provided me with details on when he would next be due. Some things particularily appreciated in Cooper's folder was the list of Poisonous Plants and the list of drug problems in the breed. Cooper's folder has photocopies of his sire and dams hip and elbow scores, their pedigree papers, eye examination certificates and CEA/CH certs. Cooper's microchipping details were there as well as information for PetRegister.com.au - a free pet identification service that gives you a free dog dag to reunite you with your pup if it goes missing. Jack's folder also came with a bag of the dog food he'd been raised on.

Jack's folder came with photocopies of all the sire and dams information like the other folders, also Ivermectin Sensitivity testing, photos of his sire and dam. It also has information on Dogs Victoria (where the pup was purchased from) and the Companion Dog Club, a list of obedience training clubs and contacts, information on the difference between limit and full registration, contact information for all of the breed clubs, with my breed highlighted. There was also a brouchure for dog toy products made in australia that are the right size for my breed. Something that stood out from Jack's paperwork was the information provided on what Jack had been feed, where i can purchase it, exactly whats in it, how much is recommended and when, and i was presented for gift coupons for the food as a gift from my breeder. Jack's folder also came with a new toy, and a bag of dog food.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Somethings i would have liked to have seen also put in their folders would be :

- copies of awards the parents have rec'd,

- a pictorial breed standard,

- Applications for registration of membership into your state's Canine Association,

- a listing of the year's exhibition dates, with highlighted dates of particular interest for learning more about the breed,

- A contact for a breeder of your breed in your state if you've purchased interstate.

- Copies of topics regarding the genetics and health of my breed.

eg: Multi-Drug Sensitivity(MDR1)

eg: Canine Epilepsy

eg: homozygous ("double") merles

eg: Collie Eye Anomaly

ETA: Wow, my post looks super big, my bad.

One other thing I'd love to see put into my folder would be a 5 generation background of my sire and dam and a page notifying me of Dogzonline.com.au and the forums.

Oh woops, should have read through all of the other posts before making my humungo post.

- I think a CD with photos from birth to 8 weeks and maybe some video would be special.

- I like that mine all came with a bag of the dog biscuit they were weaned onto and information for weaning onto another brand.

- I also like that mine all came with a toy, and Jack's breeder also sent down a towel in the crate that smelt of "home".

I am good friends with the local engraving company here and I have had them engrave my dogs's pedigree and call name onto stainless steel bowls.

It looks really good and is just something extra special for each of my dogs. I am really happy with the way it looks and it cost me less then $10 for the bowl and the engraving.

A year on and it still looks fantastic. Maybe this could be something extra nice for a puppy buyer to be surprised with.

Edited by Bonnie Parker