Puppy Purchasers....taking Your New Puppy Home

ellz

That reminds me, I also do a free groom for the puppy if they come back and see me at 4 -6 months. It gives them a chance to have a good chat and see if they are on the right track with the pup and discuss feeding, puppy weights, training etc. as well as being sure the pup gets a decent first full haircut without being traumatised.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I'm pleased to say that upon reading through this entire thread, I already provide most, if not all of the things mentioned that it is possible for me to provide to my puppy purchasers, within the boundaries of course of geography, breed requirements and practicality. :thumbsup:

Something I wanted to ask though is as a purchaser, whether a newbie to dogs or purebred dog ownership, or even as an already established breeder/exhibitor, would you feel offended if you received a no-nonsense, plain English, almost "Idiots Guide To Puppy Ownership" in your puppy kit, covering many of the more mundane things such as basic training, crate training, worming, common diseases, first aid kits and basic first aid, dental care etc etc? Or would you prefer for these to be delivered to you by way of links to websites etc? Or, would you prefer to obtain this information from your own vet?

I got a plastic pocket binder book thing full of information, her Registration Certificate, her Pedigree tree, an A4 photo fo her mum, an A4 photo of dad, our purchase contract, FAQ about puppy care, 2 articles on being the leader and leadership, GSDCV information, and their own instructions on what to feed her and what they have been doing etc. It's very handy cos I now use the rest of the remaining empty binder to keep anything "Shyla" together - her pet insurance form, vet receipts, baby teeth, obedience handouts etc. So if I ever need anything I can consult the one place! :thumbsup:

I also got a dog food showbag type thing, a leash and collar, bag of her food, her favorite toy with her familar smells on it (aw), and 4 free lessons to the GSD club.

Definately loved the binder book of information!!

Something I wanted to ask though is as a purchaser, whether a newbie to dogs or purebred dog ownership, or even as an already established breeder/exhibitor, would you feel offended if you received a no-nonsense, plain English, almost "Idiots Guide To Puppy Ownership" in your puppy kit, covering many of the more mundane things such as basic training, crate training, worming, common diseases, first aid kits and basic first aid, dental care etc etc? Or would you prefer for these to be delivered to you by way of links to websites etc? Or, would you prefer to obtain this information from your own vet?

I'm looking at getting a puppy next year (previously adopted a mature dog) and would love to recieve info like that, even if it's stuff they already know it's handy to have it there as a guide or maybe there will be something in there that they didn't know and will come in handy :( Having all the stuff written down would be a god send, I can't remember quite how many times I emailed Shar's breeder for the simplest things cause in the end even though I 'thought" I was prepared I had no idea :thumbsup:

Excellent! Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

I already have quite a comprehensive puppy guide, however there is so much more that I'd like to add to make it more rounded and complete.

Mr Ellz is a printing machinist and he has offered to take my puppy guide to work with him and have one of the layout people format and produce it so that it can be printed and bound with spiral bounders and plastic front and back. This will be my "generic" puppy guide that applies to both breeds initially.

Then to complete it, I will be continuing to work on my American Cocker grooming guide and supplement and my Stafford information so that they can be included with each puppy as well as the other bits and pieces that I send my babies off with, including for the Americans, a new snood for each puppy.

Sounds great Ellz :thumbsup:

Even though I am not a novice puppy owner, I love to get the folder with all the info and it makes sure you never have to guess on anything the info is right there. I have also filled up the remaining pages with Insurance certificates, training certificates and ribbons and any other info related to Rommi so it is all in one place and easy to find.

I really would like a dog that needed a snood like the Americans need! I think they are very groovy!

• 10 months later...
Well, I'm pleased to say that upon reading through this entire thread, I already provide most, if not all of the things mentioned that it is possible for me to provide to my puppy purchasers, within the boundaries of course of geography, breed requirements and practicality. :o

I'd love to be getting something like this from a breeder. It's all very well to get information from other sources, but to me the breeder is one of the most valuable sources of info because of the experience with dealing with the breed, and his/her lines particularly.