Tibetan Spaniel

Troy

I endorse your every word, bossanova. It's why I find it so easy to temporarily look after friends' tibbies. They think out the situation for themselves and form themselves into a little 'pride'.

We used to have working dog breeds but these tibbies have a totally different kind of intelligence. More reflective and self-sufficient. But still amazingly loving and loyal.

BTW our very experienced dog groomer said the same as you. Tibbies are the one breed that inevitable people tend to have in pairs. When we took one of ours to her for the first time... she said, 'I bet you've got another one at home!". We did and would have a dozen, if possible.

Edited by mita

• 4 months later...

Not sure how to use this site as yet, I have a question in realation to loose hocks in my 13week old tibby... They are a bit loose although she's playing normally :) so is this a normal thing in the breed and will they tighten up as she grows? Thank you for any advise given

Not sure how to use this site as yet, I have a question in realation to loose hocks in my 13week old tibby... They are a bit loose although she's playing normally :) so is this a normal thing in the breed and will they tighten up as she grows? Thank you for any advise given

I'm just a tibbie pet owner & don't have expert knowledge. But my advice would be to talk with your tibbie puppy's breeder. Or ask the Tibetan Spaniel Association of Victoria. Their email is [email protected] I've found them helpful people whenever I've contacted them.

Let me know if this gets you some expert advice.

• 11 months later...

hello, new from Melbourne. We are considering a tibbie as our last dog was a Tibetan crossed with a Pomeranian, and he had a beautiful and independent nature, so fit really well with our little kids (he loved them but when he had enough, he just walked off) and working full time.

I have time available at the moment, to acclimatise/train a new puppy, but will be going back to work (probably 3-4 days per week). I am confused though as to whether tibbies are a suitable breed to stay home by themselves for 8 hours- we are happy to have more than 1, but I don't want them to be at the same stage. thank you for reading.

PS We tried a rescue dog who was expected to be ok with kids and he wasn't- he nipped my child from across the room.

• 3 months later...

Idriver,

I am not a puppy person so may I suggest that you look at the breeders site on this forum and many times there are mature dogs available for pet homes usually about 2-3 years old they usually have been trained for shows and have wonderful tempermant. Usualy they are Tibbies who do not like showing or and not up to the standard the breeder is looking for, In fact there is one looking for a home at present from a wonderful breeder.

Pardon the spelling mistakes I am at the Library sans glasses.

Idriver,

I am not a puppy person so may I suggest that you look at the breeders site on this forum and many times there are mature dogs available for pet homes usually about 2-3 years old they usually have been trained for shows and have wonderful tempermant. Usualy they are Tibbies who do not like showing or and not up to the standard the breeder is looking for, In fact there is one looking for a home at present from a wonderful breeder.

Yoiu're right, LB, for those who'd like to start with a mature Tibbie beyond the puppy stage. All my pet Tibbies have come from good registered breeders who've let them have successful show careers & have a litter or two. Then they believe the dog deserves to enjoy life in a good pet home for the rest of their lives.

I've got brilliant little tibbies this way.... most were Aus Champions & fine examples of their breed. Also they were calm & social, & walked well on leads..... because they'd travelled in cars, been handled by strangers (judges), and been out in public among people & other dogs, during their show careers.

However, I understand there's other people who prefer to start with a puppy & raise them themselves.