Bullmastiff

Troy

This topic is about the Bullmastiff breed, a Mastiff (the breed not catch all term) is different.

However, all differences between dogs within a breed is down to breeding. Some breeders think the breed standard indicates the muzzle should be length A whereas other breeders think it should be shorter or longer (and of course, breeding and genetics is a lottery mostly, you won't know what will happen until it does).

can anyone recommend a good healthy diet for bullmastiff's from 8 weeks onwards, (just a rough guide), I have always treated my dogs like humans, but after reading alot in the health section, I really want to give my new dog a good start. Don't get me wrong, I have never had problems with any of my dogs in the past, but I don't want to cause any problems that may occur with these larger breeds (bullmastiff's).

thx all

ps, I usually give my dogs chicken and rice or lamb and rice with a few peas and corn mixed in (not corn on the cob)

Edited by Dogs are better

• 5 weeks later...

I was watching something on BM on the net today and they mentioned that rumour has it back in the BM development they might of slipped in some bloodhound to enhance the BM sense of smell in some lines. Has anyone heard of this?

I was watching something on BM on the net today and they mentioned that rumour has it back in the BM development they might of slipped in some bloodhound to enhance the BM sense of smell in some lines. Has anyone heard of this?

In one of the Bullmastiffs books I have, it quotes,

"In 1872, the second edition of "The dogs of the British Isles", edited by Stonehenge was published.Here we find a reference to the Gamekeepers Night Dog, by Idstone". Many still believe that this was the origin of the Bullmastiff. "The Mastiff, or a Mastiff crossed with the Bloodhound, is the dog a keeper generally prefers; but the men have their own ideas on the subject, and generally know pretty well where to obtain a promising young dog from each other for a little money. As there is not much demand for them, those keepers who breed them seldom save more than a couple in a litter, and consequently they are for the most part vigorous examples, and large, indeed, power and a certain happy combination of ferocity and intelligence are the chief requisites in a night dog".

Also goes further on to say.

"few breeds have suffered the same indignity as the Bullmastiff; as in the past, on account of them not being fully established, a few unscrupulous so called fanciers, to suit ends best known to themselves, at one time attempted to improve them (as they thought) and resorted to crossing with their animals the Great Dane, St Bernard, Newfoundland and possibly the Bloodhound to a slight degree. This resulted in a temporary setback for the breed, and had it not been for the loyalty of those fanciers who were determined that no foreign blood should be mixed with that of the Bullmastiff, the breed today would not of been in its present position

Thanks Stonebridge. That was interesting and informative. :) The BM does not need improvements of those breeds it's fine as it is.... :thumbsup: Could you share the book you have? I would like to have a read it sounds interesting. Actually any good BM books you could suggest.

• 9 months later...

post-35688-1294650195.jpgHello everyone, My friends call me BigW and i own Swanbrook Bullmastiffs in Jimboomba Qld. I have been involved with this Breed for well over 15 years.

My first was Shandonita Stormy Legend a wonderful BIG Brindle boy bred by a lovely lady named Ms PJ McCabe. Stormy won me over to this noble breed and served me as a companion for 12 years. Unfortunately taken by Cancer. After the longest time missing my dog i got hooked on bloodlines. I was determine to find my old dog. Well not quite my dog but as close as i could find. The result after much talking to every breeder on the planet i found a puppy through Saturnbrook Bullmastiffs. This puppy and my old mate share the same Grandfather Ch.Graecia Pryderi. Now my little puppy is almost 3 and he is my old mate in every way except for 1. This boy that i named MYSTRO wich is Stormy jumbled up is a clear Fawn Dog with black mask. He looks like stormy's ghost. Now i have a beautiful female from Ironline Bullmastiffs and Swanbrook Bullmastiffs is born. Now i will never be without a Bullmastiff in my life again. Bullmastiffs make the world a much better place!

Edited by BigW

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

We're looking for a new 4 legged friend to add to our family.

We already have a Kelpie/Koolie we rehomed as a 5 year old, and he absolutely thinks he's human!!

There's a bullmastiff nearby being offered as the owners rehomed her from someone else, but she's not in any way protective over them, apparantly she's so laid back and cruisy and they were looking for more of a guard dog, and the guard dog they have found doesn't like other dogs, they also can't afford to keep 2 dogs.

So, we are really considering taking her on and rehoming her. She's desexed 4.5 years and we are told she's pure, although that's not really of much concern to us. She's absolutely placid, is toilet trained and loves kids, so that's everything we are looking for in a dog.

I guess not knowing much about the breed is why I am asking here. Our Kelpie sits on our laps if he can, he really thinks his human and loves his people, I am wondering if you think a bullmastiff would get edgy having another "people dog" around. I am sure our Kelpie might wonder what's going on at first but he'll be fine.

Any advice or ideas on how well a 4.5yr mastiff might rehome. Considering she's been rehomed only a month ago and these people want to move her on due to her placid nature, I can't help but want to give her a home where she'll get to stay.

I think we may take our boy over to meet her and the kids and see how we go from there. Is there any way to tell if she has any problems such as hip displaysia just by looking at her?

Any opinions or advice would be great,

• 5 months later...

That they are

would be lap dogs if they could be ANYTHING TO GET CLOSE TO YOU

I know my big male is such a SOOK, he gets so close to me I feel like he would get inside my skin if he could - certainly no idea of personal space, but I just love him to bits

I think we need some pics in this thread :worship: I'd love to see some puppy and adult pics :curtsey: I'd love to have two BM's...a red or brindle boy and a brindle girl :curtsey:

I'll have to revisit this idea...lol...could end up being one BM and one Berner - showing could prove a handful tho... :thumbsup:

I love my babies I'll upload a photo for you

• 3 months later...

We just got our gorgeous bm puppy a few days ago. :-D We took him to the vet for his microchipping, vaccination, worming and overall check up. He was the biggest of his litter and a beautiful fawn with a darker line along his spine. He is just beautiful and all feet. At 7 weeks his weighing in at 7 kgs. Or 15.4lbs. We're feeding him advance puppy for large breeds and science diet i believe softened with a little water. He is extemely laid back and sits that close he becomes wraped around you. Ive done heaps of reading up on the breed so i know a little more detail about the bm mannerisms etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, we have flagged The Bullmastiff as a possible next breed, what do I need to know? Previously we have had GSD's and I have always attended obedience with them. We have a Female Cavalier and two cats, also 4 children at home 16,13,11 & 8 who are all dog savvy and very caring towards animals. Our Cav is an indoor dog, only going out for toilet & play but a large dog would be mostly outside during work/school hours with heaps of family time indoors of course when we are home.

Any information you can share would be fantastic as we want to know as much as possible before taking the next step. Thank you in advance.

• 1 year later...

:cry: Hello I was wanting to find out about the new Dog laws coming in, I am thinking of getting a Bullmastiff of a lady at the end of 2014, but I have read that the Vic Gov is thinking of Banning all Bull Breads, if so this would be very sad as I love the Bullmastiffs and I have known them to be great dogs with kids. can any one give me some advice on Bullmastiffs Please.

:cry: